• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation April 2013 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
The limited editions are just that though. Just until recently they werent even doing those boxes.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:55 am Reply with quote
....those "limited" editions are hardly new. They're been using that concept since early 2011
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote
Know what was really retarded? Their treatment of Hellsing Ultimate.

They released the "limited edition" box with the second set, not the first... Meaning, for everyone who had already owned I-IV from Geneon would need to buy them again from Funi so they wouldn't have a clunky half-empty box lying about.

And of course, they completely forgot The Dawn even existed and didn't even bother to mention its inclusion in the set, or even bother dubbing it...

I dunno what the f**k's been going on with Funi recently, but they're this close to losing a customer.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote
Nothing can beat those Steelbooks from Geneon. It was hard for me to let go of my Black Lagoon sets ($300 offer got me) FUNimation should try to experiment with different packaging.
manicli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
I don't understand why people are so pissed about half box sets and dvd/bd combos. I find them quite nice to be honest and most of my friends who buy anime agree that Funi definitely has the best releases.

As for their release schedule, well every person who took business will know that a shows worth depreciates so I'm sure they're not doing this on purpose though it is still annoying.

The only thing that surprised me was the fact that railgun was DVD only. It's been 2 years since the license announcement so I was expecting a DVD/BD combo. The show aired over 3 years ago but then again Index was DVD only.

I sincerely hope Funi gets the BD rights to Index and Railgun otherwise I'm going to wait for a complete box set to come out before purchasing the show.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:03 am Reply with quote
Glad I've held off on Fairy Tail. With my budget for anime and manga getting shorter, I was hoping a half-set or even a full set would've been released sometime soon, especially if they start to announce the releases for Season 2 later this year (which I'm sure they will). A half-set will do just fine for me, and my shrinking shelf space. Anime hyper
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
Time to get the Last Exile DVD's I had been holding off of buying.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I've had it with these half-sets. Whenever I wait long enough to find good deals on 'em, they go around and release a complete set with an SRP slightly more than the half ones. I'm not wasting my money and taking up more shelf space again till I can be sure a title is the "definitive" collection, or something pretty close to it. I'm still a bit pissed about all these stupid BD/DVD combos in [expletive] DVD cases I have lying on my shelf, too Mad.

Or worse, DVDs in BD cases? I'm not sure if this post is supposed to be serious or what, seeing how two half sets is easily better than 6 or 8 singles and furthermore, a BD/DVD combo is better than a solo BD or DVD {Every Sentai release makes me wonder if I should get DVD or BD as it's never going to be both. What I usually end up getting is Funimation combo or BD collection}

And if you're really willing to wait, you can always pick up the possible Complete, eventual Classic or ultimate SAVE release.

Anyways, Railgun, yes or rather, as a complete series. Or maybe since it's two stories with no BD release, a double half set purchase is ok {one each month, though}. What I really don't want is 4 BDs when I can get a complete show on 3. If it's what I consider two distinct seasons, I don't care.

Fam, no or maybe if the dub's really, really, really good. I mean really, it'd have to be really, really...

Ahh Slayers Season 4/5 - that reminds me that I wanted to get the DVD/BD combo and seeing how it's being rereleased seperately {now there's a sign of things to come}, I better hurry up.

Wait, 4 BDs? What's the point of that? Back to contemplating the purchase then.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
This is either Funi f*cking about, or Ocean Group having difficulties getting the original cast back together. ...But considering how tight-knit a studio it is, I really doubt that's the case.

apparently Ocean Group takes their sweet time
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Funi outsourcing the dub to Ocean is also a big part of the delay, methinks. At any rate, in my humble opinion the Roberta's Blood Trail is the weakest of the franchise so far, so while I still want to own it, it's not a big deal if I have to wait for it.

It would also be cool if Funi released it with the omake shorts. Some of those were hilarious.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Nothing can beat those Steelbooks from Geneon. It was hard for me to let go of my Black Lagoon sets ($300 offer got me) FUNimation should try to experiment with different packaging.

There's the truth of i-wait, you SOLD THEM!?!?!

manicli wrote:
I don't understand why people are so pissed about half box sets and dvd/bd combos.

DVD/BD combos? They're fine. Half-box sets? Released at the same time? Corporate f*cking greed.

They have all the resources and time to release the series in a single set. Yet they choose to release them in two separate sets, on the same f*cking day, and slightly inflate the price of each set. And to fool suckers like you, they add "special limited edition" chipboard boxes that are five times more damage-prone than bootlegged ones. And you buy them, thinking - nay, think you're thinking - that you're getting a good deal all-around.

So yeah. People are pissed off.

getchman wrote:
apparently Ocean Group takes their sweet time

Blegh.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Eden of the east complete collection? If this is the series along with the films then I'm totally gonna go for the blu ray!!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Eden of the east complete collection? If this is the series along with the films then I'm totally gonna go for the blu ray!!

It's not. It's just the 11 episodes of the TV series.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand the re-release of Eden of the East and Slayers Season 4 and 5. I mean, they released Combo packs for them near the end of 2011 so why are they re-releasing those shows separately again?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
What is so special about those "steelbook" cases?? I have the ones for both seasons of Black Lagoon, but I just got the Bluray and now they are just dead weight. It is not like the case can be used for anything else. They use those scanavo hubs and overlap the disks so they are hardly ideal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8