• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyopop Indicates Possibility of Novels on E-Readers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZipZapZopTitania

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
Oh. Heck. Yes.

I was against e-readers once. Then my dad gave me a Nook for Christmas...i-it has Pandora...would you believe I'd never used Pandora before? I put in "Coldplay," and NOW I AM IN HEAVEN. I can just put it on and read mai Witch & Wizard. It's so easy to get books! I can only get to a bookstore every few months, but this is gold!

Back to the point: I can't get light novels anywhere else, and I just don't like scanlated stuff (which is weird, since I watch fansubs). If they put light novels on e-readers, I'd forgive Barnes & Noble for depriving me of my manga. And I'll totally check out FMP!. (But what other light novels shall I buy? Ooooh, the possibilities...now we just need other companies to follow suit and we'll be good!)
lkmjr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
On one hand, I currently don't have enough money to actually buy a copy of volume 4, even though I really want it. On the other, the ebooks just get on my nerves. A nice thing about books is that they never run out of batteries and there's no screen to break.

As much as I love Kino's Journey, I'm fine with them not releasing any more of the novels, considering how badly they butchered the first two. And I'm probably one of the only people looking for this, but what about the rest of the Slayers series? Even if they don't go into all the prequels, there's still at least seven novels that haven't been translated!
Pelianth
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
xXInfinite026Xx wrote:
Quote:

Or maybe TP could spend that extra time doing proper editing?

In a related note, does anyone know if there were changes to characters made for the FMP: Second Raid adaptation? Like for instance, changing genders/name? If not, then TP fucked up AGAIN

If you are referring to Xia Yu Lan & Xia Yu Fan, they were originally male characters in the novels changed to female in The Second Raid (although I don't remember if their names were different or not). So no, that wasn't a mistake from TP....this time at least.

Yes, I was and that is what I wanted to know, thanks.

(Though it's kind of a sad state of affairs when the *first* assumption is that the company translating screwed up.)
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote
I'm kind on the fence. On one hand I'm horrified with the butchering they did with Kino no Tabi and the Crest of the Stars series. On the other, I didn't even know they had the Gosick novels out (great job ad advertising), which I wanted to buy, too bad I have to go many unnecessary steps since we're talking about (again) US-centric system.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:37 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I ordered my copy of the 4th novel the other day.

But I still don't have the 3rd volume. I got the 1st and 2nd, but the 3rd is impossible to find for less than $100. This news about bad sales doesn't sit well with me at all... I want to get the 3rd book, but I'm not buying a used copy for $250. Bad sales means less chance they will reprint it...

Not having the earlier books in the series available is really going to the sales of future books. I would think that only diehard fans would buy a book in a series when they can't get the previous books. The fact that they've waited so long to put out the 4th book isn't going to help either. How many people bought the first 3, waited for the 4th, and the forgot about it because it took so long to be released. They may want it if they know that it's out, but they likely won't be looking for it. You'd think that Tokyopop would at least put the first 3 on print-on-demand, but they don't appear to have done that yet.

I'd hate to have to buy e-books. I want real, physical books, not books on my computer or on an e-reader that I have to buy - especially when they have DRM and you risk losing them permamently because the company who makes the software and/or hardware changes their mind about something or goes out of business.

However, as much as I detest e-books, I'd rather get an e-book than nothing. So, I'd rather that they released light novels as e-books than not at all. Still, if they're lready doing print-on-demand, you'd think that they could go that route. I would expect that most of the cost related to printing is caused by having to print a bunch of them and that all of the work required to produce an e-book version would already be most of what was necessary to have a print-on-demand version. So, if they're going to release light novels but not do proper print releases, you'd think that they'd at least do print-on-demand versions. Then again, if you can't make money selling books normally, what makes you think that you can do it with an e-book? That means that the cost of licensing it an translating it would have to be low enough that you could make the money back with a relatively small number of sales but that the additional cost of having a proper print run would destroy that profit.

So, I'm all for more light novels being released, but I'm not particularly enthusiastic about an e-book solution, and I seriously wonder if they can make that work if they can make normal paper books work. You'd hope that they'd at least do print-on-demand though...
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:47 am Reply with quote
I would love for the Gosick novels to be continued some way, but the unfortunate part is that e-reader files probably means DRM, which I refuse to support.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:43 am Reply with quote
I've bought all of Full Metal Panic, Gosick and Slayers! Keep 'em coming, please! Sad
Chibi Kaji

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
Pelianth wrote:
(Though it's kind of a sad state of affairs when the *first* assumption is that the company translating screwed up.)

Not really, it's not like this would be a first time for that to happen.

You should see the changes made in FMP: Sigma(manga adaption of season 2). Instead of seducing some guy at the start, Mao is seducing some chick. And once again the twin are changed... but this time into lolis.
Starre257

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
THIS THIS THIS THIS!!

This would probably be the best thing that could ever happen. I think the lack of light novel translations legally available is a huge problem. I have a Nook, so if they just put them on the Kindle I would hate them forever (I can read Kindle books on my computer and iPod with the apps, but I don't like to). Anywhere else, though (like Google Books) I could still put them on the Nook, so that would be great.

But yeah, this NEEDS to happen. It would be so great!!
LKK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
I would much rather have book form than ebook form. But more than either, I would simply like to have the novels to read. If ebook lets me read the novels, then ebook it is. Unfortunately, the TP novels that I was reading are unlikely to even make it to ebook form unless this venture proves highly successful for them. (I've given up hope of ever reading another Missing or Good Witch from the West novel.)
Kyon27

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
kameoosama wrote:
Right now there's like what, 1 or 2 light novels on kindle in English total?

I didn't know there were even that many. Could you tell me which ones you know about?

Also, for those who prefer a real book to an e-reader - I was the same way until I got my Kindle. E-readers didn't make much sense to me until the 3rd gen Kindles came out. Their size, contrast, responsiveness, and most of all price, were all in line with what I required in such a device. It has been the best electronics purchase I've ever made. It's so nice to be able to take my entire book collection everywhere I go, and thanks to all of the free pre-1923 novels, I've been reading a bunch of the classics that I always promised myself I'd read "someday."

I can't for the day when light novels and manga are published regularly on the Kindle.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Kyon27 wrote:
kameoosama wrote:
Right now there's like what, 1 or 2 light novels on kindle in English total?

I didn't know there were even that many. Could you tell me which ones you know about?

I've only seen yaoi novels as ebooks. Nook has a sample of Better Than a Dream, for instance.

Quote:

I can't for the day when light novels and manga are published regularly on the Kindle.

This will only happen if foreign licensors are willing to include the ebook rights in the licensing contracts. Right now, it's a totally separate item from paper-based publishing and one that can be quite an additional cost. So ebook rights are often just not worth pursuing because the licensors want too much money. There could very well end up a time where you see ebook rights and print rights going to different companies.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
My local anime shop now defunct, my only resource was the local Borders. But the volume was not even in stock! Put it out on shelves and I'll eagerly buy it. Now I gotta go to Rightstuf.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I got my copy of FMP 4 today at B&N. They had just gotten it in and it wasn't on the stacks yet, so I had to ask for it. I also picked up Gosick 1 and Aria 6 from RACS, with more Gosick to follow, so I'm trying to do my part. I can see how the long delays between books can be a problem for sales, because people may just give up on them. I have had the impression in the past that TP may exist only to raise some cash for Stu Levy's next hare-brained scheme, with the fans being left out in the cold, but I don't know.

As for e-readers, they're not for me - I much prefer the feel of a real book in my hands, even if they are sometimes heavy and awkward. It is unlikely that I would buy one.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I am one of the fans that asked them about FMP novels in e-book format. I found a copy of the 2nd novel for a reasonable amount, but 1 and 3 are outrageous. I sent them an e-mail the last week of January asking about print-on-demand or e-book potential for the earlier FMP novels, as well as the first two Gosick novels. I was told that they were working on both. Then on the first, I went to the Tokyopop site to see if FMP vol 4 had actually been released that day, as my Barnes & Noble pre-order suggested, and found that it and the first two Gosick novels were available on Print-on-demand! Still waiting for the first three FMP novels so I can get them, but e-book would be better for me, since I prefer to get my books that way now. They take up less space and don't cause allergy problems due to dust collecting on them. (Selling off some of my hard-covers was part of the deal I made to convice my wife that it was worth buying an e-reader... I don't like having to add more paper to the collection because of publishers that aren't part of the current century!)

Tokyopop's customer service department is very responsive, by the way!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3