• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
manga recommendations for older readers

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megdelah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:11 am Reply with quote
Thanks so much to everyone who responded! I just got the internet last month and one of the best things about it is finally getting to comunicate with others who like anime/manga like me. I am a female and mainly read shoujo manga. I wrote out a list of your recommendations and think I'm going to start with Nausicaa.
Razz
molloaggie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
If you can afford the extra money, I would definitely buy the new special edition of Nausicaa that Viz released recently over the Perfect Collection. Miyazaki's drawings are so detailed that I completely fell in love with the extra large versions.
DSchneider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Basilisk. It's a historical fantasy with warring ninja clans and star-crossed lovers. Unfortunately, Del Rey just licensed it and won't release the first volume until after the DVD comes out, which would be later this year or beginning of next year. Ack!

I also want to recommend Aria. It's a very good read, and it's a nice change of pace from the usual action/adventure and romance that seems to glut the shelves.

While not particularly aimed at older readers, Saikano is another good series. If you've seen or heard about the anime, you'll know what to expect in the manga. Love, war, and tragedy.

A guilty pleasure of mine for sometime has been Dance Till Tomorrow. Published by Viz, it's the story of a college student, who is set to inherit a large sum of money provided he graduates. Simple, right? Unfortunately, he's more interested in his theatre troupe then his studies and there's this girl he's seeing who may or may not be after his fortune.
chill88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:09 am Reply with quote
Yes. I think that Nausicaa is more suitable for mature readers, since it requires a lot of thinking. I mean, certainly anybody could read it, but few would really understand his (Miyazaki's) intentions.

I also second Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. I have no idea how to get it though...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:18 am Reply with quote
chill88 wrote:
I also second Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. I have no idea how to get it though...

I bought my copies of YKK, the One True Manga, from amazon.co.jp - and it wasn't all that expensive. Otherwise, I believe you can buy them from Sasuga Books in the U.S.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dukeofme

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:06 am Reply with quote
my only recomendation for older readers would have to be the paradise kiss series Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2