• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JAST USA Adds School Days HQ Visual Novel Software

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I hope this means all of the sex scenes will be uncensored.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Quote:
According to JAST USA, the English release will be uncensored

Giggidy giggidy.
I'm rather pleased by this news.
Failachu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Probably, that's one hell of a selling point.

Now if only Aksys could acquisition the 360 remake of ever17, then this year of miracles will be complete.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Any commentary I would make has already been posted. I can only add Yeaaa! Can't wait to get my mitts on this product!
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised it hasn't been pointed out, but probably the most amazing thing about this release is that Sekai Project is working on it. Sekai Project does a completely unauthorized fan translation of School Days, and JAST is working with them for this release. The Sekai Project logo is EVEN ON THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE.

http://schooldays.us

This is the equivalent of an official company working with a known scanlation or fansub group on an official manga or anime release. It's an enormous step in a new direction. Imagine if Funimation started working with gg, or Viz working with MangaScreener, and putting the fan group's logos on the box, instead of sending C&Ds. I personally think it's a huge step in the right direction.

I liked School Days; it's a nice first visual novel for an anime fan. Yes, I pirated it originally, but I am definitely going to buy MULTIPLE copies to show my support, and I encourage you to do that too!
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
I'm surprised it hasn't been pointed out, but probably the most amazing thing about this release is that Sekai Project is working on it. Sekai Project does a completely unauthorized fan translation of School Days, and JAST is working with them for this release. The Sekai Project logo is EVEN ON THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE.

http://schooldays.us

This is the equivalent of an official company working with a known scanlation or fansub group on an official manga or anime release. It's an enormous step in a new direction. Imagine if Funimation started working with gg, or Viz working with MangaScreener, and putting the fan group's logos on the box, instead of sending C&Ds. I personally think it's a huge step in the right direction.

I liked School Days; it's a nice first visual novel for an anime fan. Yes, I pirated it originally, but I am definitely going to buy MULTIPLE copies to show my support, and I encourage you to do that too!

That might have to do with the fact that there weren't ten-thousand groups speed-translating the School Days VA from Day One, IMO. Even so, plenty of fan-translators end up working in the industry all of the time--Justin Sevakis himself was one.

I've no clue what the VA scene is like in the U.S., but it seems to me that it's very, very niche, and JAST figured they could save money and time by just using the translation that a small group had already released.

Regardless, here's hoping that this sort of thing happens more often.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Eff you Peter Payne, eff youuuuuu!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

At least in cases of hentai, thank you. Because without westerners purchasing this stuff, it would never be uncensored. I'm afraid it's a huge problem for hentai anime though, with companies not licensing out at all these days.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

This isn't the first time this has happened. TLWiki is being credited on JAST USA's Demonbane. And MangaGamer is working with NNL on their release of Ef.
This just shows that VN companies picking up fan-translation groups for help is becoming more common.

minakichan wrote:
This is the equivalent of an official company working with a known scanlation or fansub group on an official manga or anime release. It's an enormous step in a new direction. Imagine if Funimation started working with gg

Hmm... I don't know... I can't see this happening. Especially when it comes to simulcasts, that would be putting a whole lot of trust in a group like gg. For example, if some random member of gg leaked the video early, that blows the whole deal, and FUNimation loses face. It's much more productive, and efficient if FUNimation just keeps their own in-house employees subtitling. There's absolutely no reason or advantage to try and work with fansub groups, unlike in the visual novel situation.

minakichan wrote:

Great to hear! I'd love for School Days to sell well here. I know I'm going to be getting a copy as well! Smile
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm... Extremely happy. I think I'll go buy this for all the endings... And ecchi scenes.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
lol Summer Days sure as hell never coming here though. Cross Days is possible, but I prefer to stay away from it after some mental scarring

Anyways, let the yandere fest begin

Last edited by Kit-Tsukasa on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
gerbilx wrote:

And the anime was amazing. It illustrated the result of trying to maintain an actual harem, in a society where monogamy is the norm and where the females have actual egos,

What're ya talkin' about?! It's not that hard! Laughing

minakichan wrote:

And then the different fan groups would be fighting for who gets to be chosen as the commercial partner and get paid, while the other fan groups who lost out will keep putting out their own fan versions because of ego, spite, and belief that their versions are the true versions! Let's get reaaaddddyyy to raaaaammmbbbbleeee!!! Laughing

Levitz9 wrote:

I've no clue what the VA scene is like in the U.S., but it seems to me that it's very, very niche, and JAST figured they could save money and time by just using the translation that a small group had already released.

Yes, VN is very very niche. "Choose Your Own Adventures" died in the 80's. Confused
Mune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I remember running across the Sekai Project site some years ago. I had almost given up hope on the game ever being completed and if it were completed, not an official release. But this...Wow. I never expected this to happen.

I guess this is the start of 3rd party translators for a variety of projects that may take years to complete, but will be rewarding to the industry and fans alike.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Sweet first the game and maybe one day the anime
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Karisu wrote:
Wow, this is unexpected but amazing news. First Catherine gets announced by Atlus for North America and now School Days! Could this week get any better?

An announcement of an official English translation of Clannad VN would make it better Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3