• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Destiny's Child

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JuniorMintKiss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
HAHA! I gave up on my collection being viewed on Shelf Life months ago! It's grown a lot since then, and I have better storage now.

Bleach is in the cubby because it's still growing. Very Happy And I've also replaced some bootlegs, namely FullMetal Alchemist and Gokudo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kohii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
When I was filling up my shopping cart on Rightstuf with about $250 worth of anime (Penguindrum, FSN BDs, Papakiki, Denpa Onna) and manga, I considered getting Waiting in the Summer. It is a touching show that started off kinda slow and peaked during the middle episodes. The final episodes were kinda boring, so I didn't even bother watching the final episode, and just read the summary. Which is why I agree with this review and its rating. Watchable but not Shelf-worthy. Maybe I'll consider buying it in the future, if I'm feeling nostalgic.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I seem to recall going through this in other comment sections, so you folks probably already know what I'm going to say: The alien subplot in Waiting in the Summer is so intrinsically tied in to the humor that I find it essential to the story. spoiler[The whole art imitates life story with Remon making the movie be about an alien and a boy she falls in love with on earth? Sure, she could have done it with a "foreign exchange student" but it wouldn't have been nearly as funny. The way it is done is ironically funny and only Itchika, Rinon, and one presumes, Remon, know what she is doing. If the alien subplot is gone and Remon does the same thing, everybody involved would know exactly what she was doing and it wouldn't be funny. If the other characters didn't react to it as a bit mean spirited or at least roll their eyes at the silliness of it, it would decrease their effectiveness as characters. After all, everybody knows how Kaito and Itchika feel about each other after the first few filming sessions, Kanna's feelings are clear to everyone except for Kaito, Tetsuro's feelings are clear to Mio. It is only Mio's feelings that seem to blindside people, other than Remon. If they didn't pick up on a "foreign exchange student" movie plot as being about Itchika and Kaito's relationship, they would seem very dumb. You may argue that dropping that aspect of the humor wouldn't hurt the story, but it would change it entirely.]

I absolutely loved Waiting in the Summer. It came close to knocking Toradora! off of it's pedestal as "Favorite school romance", but just fell short. (A BluRay and Dub might have done the trick...) It is a show that I can watch over and over. I have watched the whole thing through 3 times now, twice before I got the DVDs. The final episode and Episode 9, I have watched countless times. The relationship after the confession is one of the best aspects of the story, and I absolutely love the attention to detail in the art and sound effects. (The glasses clinking together when they kiss, or almost kiss, is just sooooo sweet! As a glasses wearer since fourth grade, I recognize the sound and it just makes me smile!) The character of Remon is a wonder to behold, and having watched Please Teacher after watching WitS, she is really not like Ichigo at all. Sure, it's the same voice actress and she laughs the same, but the personalities and the character's position in the story are entirely different. spoiler[For one, in PT, Ichigo is working to get Kai and Koishi together. In WitS, Remon is, if anything, working to get her best friend, Itchika, together with Kaito. But mostly, she is just messing with peoples lives for the wicked, sadistic fun of it all.]

Steins;Gate is also on my shelf at the moment. I love the series and I love the dub even more! It is so nice to be able to actually pay attention to the visuals. I realize it may also be because of the re-watching effect, but I picked up so many things that I didn't get the first time through when I watched the first half dubbed! I was amazed at how much of the details of things that are coming later are foreshadowed in the first couple of episodes that I totally didn't catch the first time.

Penguindrum was way up on my list when it first finished, but it hasn't found its way to my shelf yet, and I don't know if it will. The more I think about the end, the less I enjoy the show as a whole. It was a bizarre, wild ride, but I was just not happy with the way it finished. (And I have Hanasaku Iroha, Tari Tari, Mysterious Girlfriend X, and Bodacious Space Pirates volume 2 still to buy in the next few months. Not to mention Children Who Chase Lost Voices and Wolf Children. And yesterday I found out that Golden Time is getting an anime! I guess it won't be on DVD or BluRay for a while... I just don't have enough cash to buy Penguin Drum too!)
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
dragonridercody wrote:
It's also worth noting that Scott Gensch took over as ADR director for the second half of the series. Stephen Foster is in Japan working on a "secret project" (possible the CGI Yamato movie.)

So Foster really didn't touch the second half of Penguindrum, despite what the back of the cover art says ? And he is really in Japan for a "secret project?" Did that come from a recent convention panel of Sentai's or something? That's interesting, as there was that Kamisama Dolls dub directed by him that was released at around the end of February, and then there's the Kids on the Slope dub that's apparently going to be directed by him and come out this summer.

roseversailles wrote:
"By the way, to Animerican 14, I find the subtitles to be of much better quality in this set than the last (I believe I even complained about the previous release on a separate thread). There are less typos, they seem to flow a bit better (though there's still an annoying trend of abbreviating certain dialogue like it's slang, as well as the flipflop translation of unmei fate/destiny).

Well, yeah, I've noticed fewer typos myself, but I was just wanting to know if... augh, never mind. If you've already praised the subtitles to the degree that you have, then I guess there are no true issues with the content of them that I was kinda suggesting.

On a bit of a side note, I don't think there's any real meaningful difference to the way that fate and destiny have been used somewhat interchangeably. I mean, gg subs (which I think is the most widely used fan sub script for Penguindrum) oftentimes used fate and destiny when "unmei" was uttered. The Japanese words for fate and destiny both include the same kanji at the end (命), the terms sound fairly similar (unmei/shukumei)... heck, even Google Translate assigns "unmei" to both "destiny" and "fate."

Regarding all this somewhat unexpected praise of the second collection's dub:

chrisb wrote:
The dub quality in the 2nd set of Penguindrum is a million times better. Emily Neves and Shelly Calene Black gave some performances that really broke my heart. I'm surprised how the dub went from mediocre to great all of a sudden. Maybe the actors and director felt the material deserved better as it became more emotionally intense. The male performances are still lacking a bit, but they did improve too.

DivineKing wrote:
I also agree that the dub had a pretty noticeable improvement in the second half. The performances sounded better, scripting was better, they changed Tabuki's VA(which was for the better in this half) and the comedy scenes were actually kind of funny(though still fairly weak compared to the Japanese version in that area).

I'd never heard of Scott Gensch up till then, but I hope they use him more often for ADR work. Very Happy

How much, do I wonder, might this praise have come forth as a result of the absence of Foster's name, and thus the "Foster stigma" seeming to be removed from the series' second half? Granted, dubbed anime series almost inevitably improves in performances when the series goes further along and actors get more accustomed to their parts. That said, I don't think it was something like a night and day difference between, say, episodes 12 (set 1) & 13 (set 2); I'd say that there had already been an upward trajectory in quality, most evident in the later episodes of the first set, with 9 & 12 being the biggest highlights for me. Heck, I even thought a decent baseline was set even earlier than that, as I found the dub in episode 4 to be hilariously done for all the right reasons. Really, Foster seemed set to treat the second half of the series with the same degree of respect and seriousness as he had with the serious dubs he's more positively well-known for, like the more recent Shinkai movies or Le Chevalier d'Eon.... and, for that matter, the latter episodes of Penguindrum first set.

In fact, there are some parts under Gensch's direction that have just kind of.... irked me (I think in my so-called "spot" checking, I've heard about a third of the second set's total English audio), which has really led to the impression that this isn't necessarily better than what Foster would've done had he continued work on the series. As I mentioned before in another thread, there have been a few cast changes (nearly-undoubtedly for the Tsubasa Yuuki originally played by Romi Park, Uncle Ikebe, Hibari and/or Hikari), or at least serious adjustments in voice direction (still not wholly sure about the situation with Tabuki's voice actor here...). With the time that's passed since that post, I think I've come to better terms with the changes... the replacements for those very secondary characters are well done if not better in of themselves, and whatever was done with Tabuki's voice or voice actor is actually quite appropriate for this set. They even made Esmerelda more predisposed towards saying "kyuu-hooh" in the dub than just saying "quaaaack". Even so, the inconsistency is quite startling, if not upsetting for a detail oriented person as I am that wants more technical uniformity. As it was (probably too) rudely put elsewhere...

Kain (a commenter) wrote:

The second part of the Penguindrum dub is directed by some new spoiler[cunt] at Sentai Filmworks who decided to replace half the cast with new actors for some dumb reason. Foster wouldn’t replace several cast members in the middle of a damn show. Its shows poor decision making skills on Sentai’s part anyways I’m done ranting later.

And then there's a few awkward aspects that seemed to stick out to me more than they did in the first set, such as the seeming misplacement of certain lines of dialogue that should've checked out of ADR more properly (like the further-extended pause somewhere in the moment spoiler[Momoka proposes to erase Yuri's Papa's tower in episode 15]) or Sanetoshi's one-time mispronunciation of Dr. Washizuka's name. Also, much of what I saw of episode 16-- the one about Masako's grandfather and spoiler[HEY MISTER PRESIDENT WATCH OUT!], the biggest comedy oriented episode in this set, and perhaps my favorite comedy episode of Penguindrum, period-- didn't feel nearly as effective to me as the comedy of episode 4 did. Sure, maybe it would've lost something regardless, considering that part of the comedy's original charm was its use of competent English (though maybe even *that* could've been compensated by having the president's aid talk in Spanish or some other foreign language).... but Grandpa Natsume's reactions spoiler[to the imagined ways that he got "crushed"] felt kinda inappropriately deadpan as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the execution of that episode would've been better under Foster's direction.

Again, I haven't seen the entire set dubbed, and I've (probably unjustly) been more predisposed towards picking faults or perceived faults apart than actually watching it as I would with a dub normally. When I go on to watch the whole second set in a more normal (though not uncritical) series of viewings, I won't at all be surprised if I come to appreciate the overall ensemble performance on this set more than I already did the last one. Juuuuuuust sayin'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:17 am Reply with quote
About waiting in the Summer, why is it Remon when it logically should be Lemon? Ichigo is strawberry so...

Yes, Yukari Tamura played both roles or names and it is implied they're the same people.

Why the aliens? It's part of the series as well as the cameo of a certain eternally 17 eternal year voice actress. If you didn't have the aliens, it wouldn't have been a sequel {also, the cameo, the aliens, the MIB and Lemon were my favorite parts of the series so there}.

The male lead? I couldn't get past his haircut. It kept making me wonder if this was set in the 70s or something. Then I remembered that it's Japanese. Then I'd forget again when he reappears. Plus, he was a whiny, insensitive brat who trampled on the feelings of others, I forgot that part. I really hated that part of his personality, AKA, his personality.

I've ordered the two halfs of Penguin Drum {backorded for some reason} and I'll get Steins;gate when it gets a set. Waiting...
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:25 am Reply with quote
Did I read that right you watched Penguin drum which had incestuous overtones on top of everything else, and steins gate which is bat shit crazy, and you had issue with alines in waiting for summer. God dam you [insult removed] who complained about Indy 4 being too fantastical because of aliens, despite the first three movies having a magical box, an immortal knight, and magic stones.

honestly any one of these 3 series could be anywhere from shelf worthy to disposable depending on the person, especially the first two, then again this column in general is disposable for pretty much that very reason that with a few exceptions nothing is really that bad or good.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
About waiting in the Summer, why is it Remon when it logically should be Lemon? Ichigo is strawberry so...

Possibly because that is how the Japanese website for the series spells it?

And, BTW... I went back to the final column of "The Stream" that featured Waiting in the Summer and found my comment that mirrors the one above. It was worded so much better that I thought i should just put in a link to it. I obviously had more time to think things through when I wrote that...
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Why does Faris want to remove moe from Akihabara, for instance? By not giving us the reasoning behind this move, or seeing the changed timeline prior to the event, it removes large chunks of characterization.

It's not so much that she wanted to remove moe, it's more that spoiler[her father didn't let her bring moe to Akihabara while he was alive, and she was only able to do so once he died. Her goal was to save her father, which had the side affect of removing the moe.]
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
@zensunni

I read your longer post for this article and the one you gave the link to. You views on Waiting in the Summer are very familiar to mine. I was a bit nervous about the ending spoiler[when Ichika's sister arrived]. But thankfully the creators handled the ending very well. At the end of the series I felt satisfied and adoring the main cast. And that is why Waiting in the Summer is Shelf Worthy to me. Smile
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
I watched Penguindrum with the subs, but after I finished it I skimmed through the last two episodes with the dub out of curiosity. Noticed a few REALLY sloppy things: Someone saying "the charm are in this book." I'm paraphrasing the sentence, but she said "the charm are". That's awful. It's one thing to see a typo like that in subs, but for someone to say it out loud? And for no one in the recording booth to pick up on it? Yikes.
Second, not as big a deal thing, was Himari's last "Survival Tactic" yell starting awkwardly late from the lip flap.
But the absolute worst thing was that the final moment of the show was ruined. We hear the last line as it is in the subs about spoiler["never ever" forgetting], then out of nowhere the dub adds in a line that was not in the subs at all, and worse, cuts into the silence of the very last beat of the episode (the title card). Might seem like a nitpick, but silence is just as deliberate as any other directorial choice, especially as the final moment of a series. Same goes for adding a line (that contributes nothing) to the final words spoken in a series.

Overall the dub seems passable from the bits I've seen, but that sloppiness worries me. I plan to rewatch the show dubbed, very soon (because its just that type of show), and I'm hoping it won't be as sloppy as those few things I saw in the last episode's dub.

That aside, the show was Fabulous Max! More abstract then Utena, which was surprising since the first half made me think Ikuhara had toned himself down (slightly).
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:

But the absolute worst thing was that the final moment of the show was ruined. We hear the last line as it is in the subs about spoiler["never ever" forgetting], then out of nowhere the dub adds in a line that was not in the subs at all, and worse, cuts into the silence of the very last beat of the episode (the title card). Might seem like a nitpick, but silence is just as deliberate as any other directorial choice, especially as the final moment of a series. Same goes for adding a line (that contributes nothing) to the final words spoken in a series.

Looking up part of the "added" quote that was added onto the end on google together with Penguindrum-- spoiler["We'll make an eternal promise. Don't look away. That's where everything lies"]-- I saw, and then reconfirmed, that it is actually the line spoken by Himari in the episode preview for episode 24. Check the episode preview! Or at least this link of the screencap with the line below it: http://penguindrum.livejournal.com/49885.html

I'd be willing to guess that it some how could've been a strange oversight in ADR mixing, like maybe they somehow appropriated the preview dialogue for episode 24 to the second-to-last line of the entire show (before the "thank you"), but comparing the two instances the dialogue was uttered, it seemed Monica Rial said it in slightly different ways. So scratching that (at least for now), I'd say that maybe the ADR director felt it necessary to reiterate that episode preview quote, as if maybe that quote would make more sense after episode 24 has concluded? At the very least, it doesn't add any new meaning to the show.... it's just a bit needlessly redundant, somewhat confusing contextually, and cuts short the prolonged, sweet and gentle silence that followed what was originally the actual show's last line. Confused If they ever decide to touch up the dub for a complete series re-release, and if Sentai feels free to maybe make a few cleanups here and there (if there was ever a precedent for that), maybe this could be one of them? Sigh....

Last edited by Animerican14 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Quote:
Why does Faris want to remove moe from Akihabara, for instance? By not giving us the reasoning behind this move, or seeing the changed timeline prior to the event, it removes large chunks of characterization.

It's not so much that she wanted to remove moe, it's more that spoiler[her father didn't let her bring moe to Akihabara while he was alive, and she was only able to do so once he died. Her goal was to save her father, which had the side affect of removing the moe.]

Good point.. I wonder what would happened ifspoiler[ Akihabara never turned the moe central of japan?]
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Quote:

But that information is from the 2nd half of the story, which is where the answers to all of the nagging questions of the first half lie. At the half-way point, you, and Okabe, don't know why the various people send the DMails they did. (OK, a couple of them are known, but perhaps not the full reason the person wanted to change the past.) On the way to resolving all of the problems created by messing with the timeline, Okabe and the viewer will discover those reasons. That is what the 2nd half is about.
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

Quote:
My appreciation of the open-endedness of the series, though, is also one of my issues with it. Because we see everything through Rintaro's eyes, we only know what he knows. Meaning, if the past is changed, we only see the aftereffects—Akihabara can be drastically changed, or a character's identity can be completely changed. Just like Rintaro, though, we're not privy to the details of Why. Even though he (and the audience) retains memories of the previous time line, he has no memory of the new timeline. Once the ripples from the “butterfly effect” get to be too big, the series starts to lose its grasp on itself. Why does Faris want to remove moe from Akihabara, for instance? By not giving us the reasoning behind this move, or seeing the changed timeline prior to the event, it removes large chunks of characterization. Because of this, some of the characters can seem shallow, because we're not privy to the motivations behind their actions.

Beware! All your questions will be answered in the second half. Things get really crazy. And the story gets even better.

This. It's not a spoiler if I say this, so I will - the mistake there is assuming that the first noticeable effect was the main intended effect. You can see the real change with that particular text already and just... the way it has things like that is part of why I love the show~

I need to watch Penguindrum. And it's interesting to hear that staff information about Waiting in the Summer. When it first came out and the images were everywhere, I wondered why people were into Please Teacher again all of a sudden. Anime smile;
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
How much, do I wonder, might this praise have come forth as a result of the absence of Foster's name, and thus the "Foster stigma" seeming to be removed from the series' second half

For the record, I love Steven Foster's work on almost everything except Penguindrum. Red Garden is still, in my opinion, the best dub made by ADV/Sentai. The guy knows how to get some great performances out of his actors. I just have no idea what went wrong this time because it was a really rough start for penguindrum.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3