• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daisuki Aims to Aggregate Streaming Anime in One Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote
Ad's on Crunchyroll have been for and only for Crunchyroll meaning I a non subscriber have not seen anything thing else in one ad played since the start of the site.

This is a little shocking seeing as how people who stream on the site with out being a member might expect to see some corps ad's placed into the mix at least some of the time.

Also I would think that they would grant out side licenses due to how nico nico player is so bad in japan.

Lets say they use the same player as Funimation with all it messed up weakness for streaming anime. This would be a major turn off to many.

lots of factors will affect the launch of this site, the best model they could follow so far would be Crunchyroll.

this dose not mean it will happen.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
So, basically, this just collects already available streaming series for people too lazy to visit multiple sites? No new licenses or original content? Lame.

When you consider that almost all of the new Winter 2013 shows in Japan were simulcast, it is kind of hard to have "new licenses". In addition, the site is owned by the license holders, so they are not acquiring licenses at all, at least at first. They did mention that they would be working with other studios to stream their content in the future, but at first, it is only the stuff by the 6 shareholder studios. Which leads to:
mgosdin wrote:
If nearly everything is available thru one single site, Daisuki in this case, it will eventually have a negative impact on Crunchyroll, Funimation, TAN, and the others.

It's more competition in a relatively small worldwide market that already has a number of competitors. Moreover, it's competition that has direct ties to many of the major producers of content for that market.

It's the sort of thing that in the United States sometimes causes Monopoly alarms to go off.

Sorry, I can't see this as a blessing.

Mark Gosdin

Nearly everything? Until they make good on their plan to stream non-shareholder content, the shows they are able to aggregate will be pretty limited. Granted, some of those shows have a large following, like Madoka, One Piece, and Mobile Suit Gundam, but it is still a very, very small percentage of the total streaming anime available in a given season. For the winter season, Crunchyroll had about three times the number of series that Daisuki would have had from just the shareholder studios. For example, ignoring continuing series like One Piece, the shows that the six studios were involved in during the Winter 2013 season were:
Love Live
Oreshura
Vivdred Operation
Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman
Precure
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai

Precure is not simulcast anywhere. Sasami-san@Ganbaranai is on TAN. The rest are on Crunchyroll.

Until the service is up an running, there is no way to know how successful it will be, but based on their pre-launch propaganda, it doesn't look like a threat to any existing streaming service, and I'll believe that they can get streaming rights for material from rival studios that have no financial stake in the service, essentially putting money into the pockets of a competitor, when I see it happen with my own eyes.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
Ad's on Crunchyroll have been for and only for Crunchyroll meaning I a non subscriber have not seen anything thing else in one ad played since the start of the site.

Before I subscribed, I used to get ads for all kinds of random things, all of which were completely irrelevant to me. However, unlike a lot of internet ads, they were targeted to my location (the UK) so maybe it depends on which country you're in as to what kind of ads you get.
leokiko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Will it be worldwide?
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
leokiko wrote:
Will it be worldwide?

I believe that was confirmed by WTK when he (she?) emailed them.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
the shows that the six studios were involved in during the Winter 2013 season were:
Love Live
Oreshura
Vivdred Operation
Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman
Precure
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai

How about Magi, Space Brothers, and Shin Sekai Yori? These are all A-1 productions. Seeing "Aniplex" in the list of studios made me think that releases from the ever more prolific A-1 would eventually end up being distributed by Daisuki. That has to worry Crunchyroll some I'd expect.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
If nearly everything is available thru one single site, Daisuki in this case, it will eventually have a negative impact on Crunchyroll, Funimation, TAN, and the others.

What reason is there to think they would get "nearly everything"? These licensors handle a number of simulcast series every year, but they don't handle the majority of series.

The guy selling Daisuki is, of course, focusing on stuff they will have, and ignoring stuff they won't have, because he's the guy selling Daisuki and its not his job to sell the shows handled by the other international licensors. But he's not given any indication about talking about anything except all the Daisuki's licensor's series also being available on Daisuki, because all the series he cites are licensed by partners in the Daisuki joint venture.

yuna49 wrote:
zensunni wrote:
the shows that the six studios were involved in during the Winter 2013 season were:
Love Live
Oreshura
Vivdred Operation
Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman
Precure
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai

How about Magi, Space Brothers, and Shin Sekai Yori? These are all A-1 productions.

The lead anime studio doesn't determine any of this, its the member of the production committee that holds the international rights. If they are the licensor for the international rights, then they can stream directly from their joint venture as well as licensing streaming rights out to Crunchyroll, Sentai, Funimation, Viz, Aniplex USA, NIS America, etc.

leokiko wrote:
Will it be worldwide?

Worldwide outside Japan is what they keep saying.

And it makes sense ... since they are the overseas licensors (the people who sell the rights to others), they don't have to worry about things like rights getting cut up into regions or conflicting rights with broadcasters (eg, Animax Asia) or home video distributors ... they just write those contracts in a way that they keep the rights they started out with, and they are good to go, worldwide outside of Japan. So basically they just region block their whole site in Japan.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
So, basically, this just collects already available streaming series for people too lazy to visit multiple sites? No new licenses or original content? Lame.

Look at the list of Winter2013 Anime they handled:

Love Live on CR: Blocked in Europe outside of UK/Nordic, Middle East, Africa outside of South Africa, all of Asia

Oreshura & Vivdred Operation ...
both on CR: Blocked in Latin America, Europe outside of UK/Eire, Africa outside of South Africa, Middle East and all of Asia

Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman on CR: Blocked in Europe, Australia and New Zealand, Africa, Middle East and Asia

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai: Sentai in North America, blocked everywhere else, Anime-On-Demand in UK, blocked everywhere else, KzPlay in France & Francophone Europe, blocked everywhere else

Precure: many of these are not licensed for international streaming at all ~ the Encyclopedia has Dokidoki Precure as unlicensed, though I wouldn't.

So say you are an anime fan in Portugal. getting 5 new Winter Series from Crunchyroll. I'd reckon you'd look on adding 6 more, plus a big back catalog of titles that have never streamed to Portugal, as a pretty big improvement. Still more someone from most of Africa, or Germany, getting 3 news Winter series on Crunchyroll, blocked at Hulu (so also Viz), Funimation, TAN, Anime-on-Demand ... six new series is not something that would strike you as lame.

Even someone in Sweden, with 14 out of 17 of Crunchyroll's new series, you'd be adding access to five more series.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Daisuki vs Funimation vs Hulu vs viki vs YouTube vs NicoNico vs theanimenetwork.com vs Crunchyroll > outside United States = ??? = PROFIT

time for this site to unblock youtube and funimation's and hulu's international siteblock outside us
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
11G4GUNOT wrote:
Daisuki vs Funimation vs Hulu vs viki vs YouTube vs NicoNico vs theanimenetwork.com vs Crunchyroll > outside United States = ??? = PROFIT

Your point being?

The notion for Daisuki would seem to be ad-streaming as self-funding advertisement for the subscription service, and merchandise as an additional profit center, leveraging the full benefit of global distribution outside of Japan to maximize the potential subscribing audience.

Quote:
time for this site to unblock youtube and funimation's and hulu's international siteblock outside us

What does "this site" refer to? ANN? Daisuki?

Daisuki certainly won't do anything to unblock Funimation and Hulu's region blocking.

If it makes more Global outside Japan streaming licenses available, it might help unblock some Crunchyroll and possibly some Youtube region blocking, since its lack of availability of the licenses on a single contract that leads to region restrictions on Crunchyroll.
Sukigu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
So say you are an anime fan in Portugal. getting 5 new Winter Series from Crunchyroll. I'd reckon you'd look on adding 6 more, plus a big back catalog of titles that have never streamed to Portugal, as a pretty big improvement.

As a Portuguese anime fan, I'm really putting a lot of faith in Daisuki. I don't get it why we have so few anime titles licensed by Crunchyroll (our only simulcast source) each season when there's absolutely no other company getting them for us. Does anybody here have a clue about these licensing quirks?

I'm not very proud of saying it, but I watch fansubs for almost every single anime I watch each season. For instance, this Winter season there is literally not a single available show I like. Anime titles here are scarce, almost nobody picks them up, and the few stores that carry anime are usually limited to Ghibli films and a couple old shows (and on DVD only). Even the first (and only) anime-dedicated Portuguese TV network, Animax, was shut down 2 years ago, not before having replaced the majority of its programming with American TV shows and movies already shown on countless other networks.

I'm really looking forward to what this new streaming website has to offer to everybody!
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:07 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why everyone is thinking that just because they replied that Daisuki the website would be "worldwide" that everything they stream will be "worldwide".
Their reply said nothing about every video stream being available worldwide.

In fact I'll bet you that the streaming part will be limited to the US and Canada for most titles at first.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:15 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
zensunni wrote:
Love Live
Oreshura
Vivdred Operation
Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman
Precure
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai

How about Magi, Space Brothers, and Shin Sekai Yori? These are all A-1 productions. Seeing "Aniplex" in the list of studios made me think that releases from the ever more prolific A-1 would eventually end up being distributed by Daisuki. That has to worry Crunchyroll some I'd expect.

Ah, the power of selective editing...

The part you cut out of that sentence was:
Quote:
For example, ignoring continuing series like One Piece,

Those were all continuing series, not new ones in the Winter season. Granted, other than Space Brothers, they are not particularly "like" One Piece, but I only used One Piece as the example because it was specifically mentioned in this article.

Also, as I commented in another post about Daisuki, which I cribbed that list from, I must admit, Aniplex has been using a shotgun approach to their shows for the most part. Most of the series that they license for streaming are available on Crunchyroll or TAN, sometimes both (TAN if Sentai is involved), Hulu, and Crackle. They have used this strategy of multiple outlets for the past few seasons. I don't see this outlet as changing that approach.

And, as already commented, just because A-1 is a subsidary of Aniplex doesn't mean that A-1 shows automatically have Aniplex on the production committee, which is what determines licensing. For instance, Fairy Tail and Fractale are both shows that A-1 is listed on for both Anime Production and as being on the Production committee. Neither of these has Aniplex listed anywhere on the page.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
Well, you have to admit it is not an obvious jump from One Piece to Uchuu Kyoudai or Shin Sekai Yori.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I'm not sure why everyone is thinking that just because they replied that Daisuki the website would be "worldwide" that everything they stream will be "worldwide".
Their reply said nothing about every video stream being available worldwide.

In fact I'll bet you that the streaming part will be limited to the US and Canada for most titles at first.

I'm game. But I'm as poor as a church mouse, so what stakes do you have in mind?
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
11G4GUNOT wrote:

Your point being?

The notion for Daisuki would seem to be ad-streaming as self-funding advertisement for the subscription service, and merchandise as an additional profit center, leveraging the full benefit of global distribution outside of Japan to maximize the potential subscribing audience.

Quote:

What does "this site" refer to? ANN? Daisuki?

Daisuki certainly won't do anything to unblock Funimation and Hulu's region blocking.

If it makes more Global outside Japan streaming licenses available, it might help unblock some Crunchyroll and possibly some Youtube region blocking, since its lack of availability of the licenses on a single contract that leads to region restrictions on Crunchyroll.

>Your point being?
yours taken

and

>What does "this site" refer to? ANN? Daisuki?
Daisuki not ANN. the world needs Daisuki not FUNIMATION and hulu block outside the USA and so does YouTube all FUNIMATION licenses
I rather take all except FUNIMATION internet censorship seriously
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3