• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto ratings soar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:58 pm Reply with quote
How long do you think the ratings will stay that way? I'm thinking it'd go steady on a consistent number.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Good job, Viz. Looks like a successful start. Let's hope the viewership ratings stay high.

I too was very impressed with the dub. Of course, I've never seen the Japanese version, but I didn't feel like I was missing anything with this dub.

I'm definitely going to keep my VCR taping every Saturday night. (I have a night job...)

It's that Naruto is actually reaching it's intended audience here on US TV, unlike, say.... Rurouni Kenshin. (Of course, Kenshin a more mature show anyway, in terms of age demographic).

In short, I'm going to support this show and stay tuned. Just a year until uncut DVDs.....
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
You know, for all those who are praising Viz and whatnot for leaving everything in, there's one thing you may or may not have overlooked--the TV-PG rating which is the same as the weeknight DBZ's. Thus, they are allowed to do "pure" Sexy Jutsu (it was already censored with the puffy clouds) and whatnot.

Incidentally, JLU has thrown the word "kill" around, too.
Rally

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I personally didn't like it, but I seem to be in the minority. It might be good for a Cartoon Network dub, but that's not really a high compliment-out of the many dubs I've seen, this one falls pretty low.

As for the person who made the second comment overall, that seems a bit harsh. I think people who watch a lot of anime dubs are allowed to be a bit critical-they may not have any kind of acting experience, but they can still judge if dialogue seems unnatural-I should hope most people who speak English would be able to see that kind of thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
B33

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Zaccheus wrote:
I honestly couldnt stand watching it. I was hoping it would be good, but I thought it totally sucked. Terrible voice acting, hundreds of mispronounciations, and many edits [both in dialogue and blood | but more with the dialogue, they really slimmed it down and added stuff]. I, and along with the many Naruto fans I know, were pissed at what we saw. They so dropped the ball.

I think that the only people who are upset, like me, are the already existing Naruto fans. Those not already exposed to this manga/anime, or those too young to realize the poor quality, will probably enjoy this. Its not surprising that children were the main audience for the US debut.

Your pitiful... Stop being so freakin negative and look at the bright side. The voice acting was good. It wasnt cowboy bebop good, but it was still decent. And there were HARDLY and violence edits throughout the whole 2 episodes. I have watched the original a few times and I have got to say I only noticed 3 violence edits... They were all blood spurts. The rest of the blood was left in. What dialogue editd were there!? Swear words don't count because their mainly used to strengthen a sentence. The only other edit I noticed besides blood spurts was that the begining was redone a little bit to shorten the episode since it was longer then usual. And their arent that many dispointed naruto fans out there. The only complaint i heard was that they disliked the edited theme songs.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I have almost no respect for Cartoon Network when it comes to them airing anime. My reason for this is because they don't respect Japanese anime for those of us who have been core fans of the genre for a very long time. They continuisly edit, change and alter certain anime so that it's appropriate for the younger viewing audience.

Cartoon Network has set back the anime genre another 50 years when it comes to American dubbing and editing.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
JaguarSavage wrote:
I thought it was pretty good aside from Naruto's voice. It just doesn't seem to match, but maybe it's just me :-/ They could have at least use a male for his voice Anime hyper

Isn't his Japanese voice female?

Your correct Zac, and if he still done not beleave us, he can look in the encyclopedia.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry Mr. Wolfe. Did you say something? I wasn't able to pay attention to your ignorant comment while I was laughing at it.

Voice matching==BAD! In reality, I don't think it's really fair to judge how good a casting job is because it's normally the same within each company. I normally just think about the extremes and leave everything else alone.
kollivier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
JaguarSavage wrote:
I thought it was pretty good aside from Naruto's voice. It just doesn't seem to match, but maybe it's just me :-/ They could have at least use a male for his voice Anime hyper

Yup. Smile I've heard that it's very common to do this both in America and Japan as it is hard for males to make their voice high-pitched enough to match a child's voice.

I was simply amazed at how much they kept the Japanese influence intact. And I'm sorry, people can complain as much as they want but if you really listen to the pronunciations (and know how Japanese sound out words) then you'll know they worked hard to get the dub actors pronouncing words right. Cartoon Network actually gets it wrong, with their Na-rooo-to pronounciation but the actual anime is much better about not over-stressing the 'ru' part. And though they didn't use the original op/ed they were careful to use music that clearly matched the feel of the Japanese OPs.

Overall, I was amazed at how much respect they gave the material. The edits they did make, I'm pretty sure were required by the FCC to broadcast it without making it teens+. They were more respectful than Viz has been with the manga, IMHO.

I'm pretty sure those who harshly complain simply wouldn't be satisfied with any English version. But I think they're well on the way to making Naruto a big hit here, and I for one am really glad to see this series getting the treatment it deserves. I also believe they said they'll release unedited DVDs, which I will be in line for when they come out. Smile I was really nervous about this being another One Piece, but that most certainly did not happen.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Zaccheus wrote:
I honestly couldnt stand watching it. I was hoping it would be good, but I thought it totally sucked. Terrible voice acting, hundreds of mispronounciations, and many edits [both in dialogue and blood | but more with the dialogue, they really slimmed it down and added stuff]. I, and along with the many Naruto fans I know, were pissed at what we saw. They so dropped the ball.

I think that the only people who are upset, like me, are the already existing Naruto fans. Those not already exposed to this manga/anime, or those too young to realize the poor quality, will probably enjoy this. Its not surprising that children were the main audience for the US debut.

I bet you're one of those fansub leecher that are only expose to japanese dub from all the fansub you downloaed. Then you hear something in English and you don't bother giving it a chance. Seriously, the english dub is decent and very watchable. Not sure how it could have been better since it is a kid's show. But nothing I say will matter to all the raging Naruto fan that still think Naruto is for adults.

Zac wrote:
JaguarSavage wrote:

Yes, but in English, it would have sound better if they use a male or boy. They did this with Al from Fullmetal Alchemist, using a 12 year old boy and it came out natural imo.

It's very common in Japan for women to play kids role such as Conan because I guess the middle age japanese women sound like little kids and it's rare that regular school kids can be va.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I have only watched the first two eps but I think this show has a good chance of being a success. The people at CN more than likly would love to air uncut eps of every thing but they can not. This thread is supposed to be about the ratings. The ratings looked good Cn is sure to profit, and from an industry stand point this is good.
Navitron

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
You know, for all those who are praising Viz and whatnot for leaving everything in, there's one thing you may or may not have overlooked--the TV-PG rating which is the same as the weeknight DBZ's. Thus, they are allowed to do "pure" Sexy Jutsu (it was already censored with the puffy clouds) and whatnot.

It will be interesting to see how future episodes will play out with this PG rating. For the sheer number of eps that naruto has, it wont surpirse me if I see edits, I can name alot more things that would make a PG rating shudder then just a sexy no jutsu. I'll be keeping an eye on future episodes.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

It isn't just JLU. Toonami's been allowing references to death in their shows for years, ever since DBZ's Android Saga.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:

Yes, but in English, it would have sound better if they use a male or boy. They did this with Al from Fullmetal Alchemist, using a 12 year old boy and it came out natural imo.

It's very common in Japan for women to play kids role such as Conan because I guess the middle age japanese women sound like little kids and it's rare that regular school kids can be va.

Tha's because the kids go through puberty. Their voices will change.

It worked for FMA because it doesn't run for years like DBZ or Conan.

Last edited by Animefan16 on Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
mangod
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Zaccheus wrote:

I am a Naruto fan who saw it in original Japanese before it was released in the US and I can honestly say that this is the best translation of Naruto. The voice actors are just starting, it is not easy to lip sink(I think that is what it is called). The opening was much better than the boring opening Rocks. Why is that there is always something to bitch about when an anime airs in America? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8