• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reading Between the Lines

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Here is what I thought was unfair: it seemed like he was saying that all sub fans don't get their anime legally. I am not strictly a sub fan, but that generalization was wrong. But maybe I misunderstood Answerman's point, I don't know.

Tammy
kollivier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:26 pm Reply with quote
lazuline wrote:
But in the end, what matters is not the love of a collection, but the social environment that anime fandom provides. Whether it be on forums, conventions, or simply among peers, Love for anime is best expressed through hours of discussion on the exploits of our favorite two-dimensional protagonists. Not a checkbook. Period.

Perhaps that is what matters to you, but for anime/manga creators what really matters is the ability to do what they love AND continue to eat and have a bed to sleep in. That does, in fact, require your checkbook. (Unless you're in Japan, where by watching the show you help get it advertising dollars.) If you do not help them out, you are not supporting them or their series in the sense of helping them to continue growing/running. This is a fact.

Zac's statement wasn't grossly generalized as it was specifically about anime and not about manga or goods. He said, specifically, "anime fans". So, if you want to actually support an anime series that you watch, in most cases you need to either buy or rent the anime. (Only a few shows make it to TV here.) And, of those two options, renting is certainly a valid way of supporting the series, but buying does a LOT more to support the series than renting does. Many anime companies in the US are pretty reliant on those DVD sales.

Whether you agree or disagree that a "real anime fan" should support their favorite anime series is your perogative. But there is little argument that in America the only way for most shows to get the support they need to survive is for people to go out and buy the DVDs. So, if you're not providing that support, you're not helping the American release of the show, or its creators, become a success here. Period. If you're in the US watching the Japanese/fansub release and not buying the Japanese DVDs, or renting from a local Japanese video store, you're not supporting the Japanese anime series either.

Your love for the series may make you feel all warm inside, but that doesn't do anything to help all the people working hard to give you that entertainment you're so 'devoted' to.
Space Goats

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Crimsonwolf wrote:
How is there anything wrong with that satatement? How can you be a fan of something and not support it?

Most soccer-playing kids in Brazilian slums regard Pelé as a living God, yet few could afford any merchandise related to him. The only thing they could afford in order to show their support and gratitute of Pelé's inspiration is to become the next Pelé by practicing soccer.

This is such an awful example to use though. Are you comparing poor kids in Brazil who can't afford Pele merchandise to people who download fansubs because both are unable to support their hobby? Last I checked, downloading anime required a computer and broadband. If you own both of those you are automatically in a tier that is VERY capable of buying DVDs. Rather than try to justify that you a good person despite the fact that you download fansubs, just embrace your leecher ways and quit complaining.

Honestly, if you want to say "I do support the anime industry by buying DVDs though I still download" then that's one thing, because you're not trying to justify. When you say "What about the people who are too poor to buy DVDs" then you're basically just grasping at straws. The kid who only gets to watch anime from his friends house on CN because his family doesn't have a TV, much less a computer is too poor to support the anime industry. The kid downloading entire series because he wants something to watch the next week after school doesn't have an excuse.
pythos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
tlsmith1963 wrote:
Here is what I thought was unfair: it seemed like he was saying that all sub fans don't get their anime legally. I am not strictly a sub fan, but that generalization was wrong. But maybe I misunderstood Answerman's point, I don't know.[Tammy

Fansubbers are not getting it legally (unless they live in Japan). And they are violating Japanese copyright law my making it available to the public.

See this ANN feature:
animenewsnetwork.com/feature.php?id=144
RyoShin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Crimsonwolf wrote:
How is there anything wrong with that satatement? How can you be a fan of something and not support it?

Most soccer-playing kids in Brazilian slums regard Pelé as a living God, yet few could afford any merchandise related to him. The only thing they could afford in order to show their support and gratitute of Pelé's inspiration is to become the next Pelé by practicing soccer.

There's a rather large difference, though: The kids probably know of Pelé through magazines and/or TV, which are "free" and the kids are not expected to pay just to watch him play, and are fans as a result.

This would be equivalent in the anime universe to a fan who watches an anime series on TV, or at some Anime Club meeting, or reads about it in a magazine. They aren't "taking away" anything.

Those who download Anime off the internet... well, I can't really think of a good correlation in the soccer world. I guess it would be sneaking into the stadium to watch Pelé play while sitting in the nosebleed section.

Ignoring the fact that Pelé probably makes an intoxicating amount of money, in both cases the activity is technically illegal, but in both cases no one is really harmed, so it's winked at. In fact, it can be helpful; fans of an anime they download are more likely to buy the series than to buy a series they've only read about, and those kids who sneak in will probably save what money they can to buy seats closer to the field to see the action better.

What Zac was talking about, which I agree with, is that those who download anime on the internet with no intention on purchasing AND make stupid excuses that no one can own anime, MAN, and that the evil American anime companies butcher the series, MAN, are despicable and hurt the industry. (We'll ignore 4kids, which everyone hates equally.) Those kinds of people are the ones who will cause the large crack-down in fan-subs, should it ever come.

The fact that ANN got so many responses about an OP-ED column which was posted TODAY (right?) that they had to put out a response to the mail is worrisome- it shows that a lot of people who read the article just skimmed through it and saw "people who download anime" and "deceitful creatures". Zac was going after what is probably a very small portion of the online anime community, a portion that doubtfully applies to many of us here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hunterbiko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I agree with Zac on many of this points. The fact of the matter most people who download and do not buy only do it because they are greedy and people who honestly think anime should be free are idiots.

I download tons of fansubs, this is a great way to see anime that has not or may never be licensed. It has introduced me to great series like Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Monster, One Piece, Noir and many many others. Since I have bills to pay I cannot really take a chance on a 19 - 30 dollar anime dvd, thanks to fansubs I usually have seen enough episodes to know if that DVD is worth buying. I do how ever still buy. It's an insult to the people who make anime and manga not to support their hard work by spending a little bit of your cash on their work everyonce in a while.

How do you think these people get to do what they do for a living? The companies who pay them make money by selling dvd, merchandise, TV networks, licensing anime and other means. If they did not make a profit by doing this they could not afford to make anime.

Many of these people argue that anime is "too expensive" these days, but obviously have forgotten what anime used to be like before DVDs and pop culture took it's effects. It used to be much more expensive and hard to get good anime, plus most dubs caused massive brain damage(some still do). It's only because the profits from anime sales have increased has this gotten any better.

Now that bittorrent has arrived it has made the downloading of anime alot easier and has certianly helped me see tons of anime that I would never have gotten to see before, but this does not mean we should stop buying legit anime once it hits the stores. If we do not support the industry by purchasing anime, manga, and other merchandise it will be back to the days or Slayers dubs. catalog hunting, and hyper expensive anime. This is why I agree with Zac.
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
without exception they've always been total milk babies, which is why I ironically somewhat agree with you; you should have a sugar tap giving you unlimited free entertainment; it keeps you where you belong, out of my way. Stay in mommy's basement and download your anime, sweethearts. Don't come outside in that scary painful sunlight and engage life. In the wise words of Brother Zappa, "You ain't really made for being out in the street; ain't much hope for a fool like you, 'cause if you play the game you will get beat."

A lot of the "piracy is okay" folk do have something in common have something in common. They are poor. When I see people pound on those who download anime, I tend to see it as class warfare. I don't think anime should be free but if you honstly don't have any expendable income that shouldn't mean you can't watch your favorite TV shows.

Personally, I buy as much as I can, but in a lot of cases it's either download or go without. Going without doesn't help the community either. Does this mean our worth as a fan is directly connected to our economic worth?
Chun-Li

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
..well..if people download as a method of obtaining anime..then so be it..why is that other people get upset knowing that there are people out there who download and do not purchase the actual dvds?.. i think people who get upset or bothered by it are perhaps jealous...they may even feel ripped off?...or it's just not fair, etc...just leave those people, who can't afford it themselves, alone.......all you can do is show off all your wall-to-wall anime dvds..that's enough advertisement...no need to bash on other fans who don't show the same passion the way you do...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I for one support Zac and Cris I agree with both columes some people totaly took this whole thing wrong. If you never buy and always download instead you are a piece of crap, get over your self already. If you buy the product you like , you do not fit into the crapy people group. Fabsubs have a place in the anime community snoty self rightouse snobs do not! I am your averg guy , mabey not the smartest nor am I very good at writing but I can understand what I have read and what Zac said, sounded accurate to me. I see the same attitude all over the net as well and not just with anime. I have a decent sized collection and it cost me a small fortune which I had to work my dick off to buy. I do not think you can be a true fan if you spend no money on the licenced product. Make some sacrifices spend some money already you bunch of cheap punk's. Also why shouldent Cris defend Zac he wrote an opinion peice and a bunch of people atacked him for it. All the people who got mad must be the one's he was talking about. They demand apology's Because their little feelings got hurt ahh. Keep up the great columns.IMO.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Chun-Li wrote:
i think people who get upset or bothered by it are perhaps jealous...they may even feel ripped off

Perhaps they're jealous.

Or perhaps they just really like good anime and want to see companies make more of it. With some anime companies clearly struggling financially, can you blame honest fans for wanting other people to start supporting the companies ?

I can't speak for everyone, but I fall into the second group.

-t
RyoShin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Chun-Li wrote:
why is that other people get upset knowing that there are people out there who download and do not purchase the actual dvds?

Lets look at a scenario:

I see an anime I'm interested in. After watching what anime is out now, I purchase the DVDs. This gives me high quality versions of what I downloaded, plus it shows the studios that there is interest in the series, and they should continue. But there are lots of other people out there who have as much interest as I do, yet don't purchase the DVDs. This shows less support for the show, and the producers decide there isn't enough interest to continue making more episodes, so it gets cut short.

Was there plenty of interest? Sure. Was there plenty of interest as represented by DVD sales? No. Because those people didn't bother to support something they had interest in, it flopped, so no one gets new episodes. It's like communal punishment (where everyone is punished for the misdeeds of a few individuals), but in the wrong order.

Now, there are people who download and can't afford to buy massive quantities of Anime. That's understandable. The people everyone is dissing right now, though, are those who download and make arbitrary arguments (some previously stated) as to why they won't buy DVDs and support the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
masaki86

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Chun-Li wrote:
why is that other people get upset knowing that there are people out there who download and do not purchase the actual dvds?.. i think people who get upset or bothered by it are perhaps jealous...they may even feel ripped off?...or it's just not fair, etc...

No no no. The fact is, I(and probably most of the others) get annoyed about people who exclusively download illegally because they are giving nothing back to the industry. I watch anime, I am entertained, the producers deserve to be paid, thus I support the R1/R2uK when it is released.

By watching only fansubs, you are not giving anything to covering the costs of the hundreds of thousands/millions of dollars put into making the anime, and it is not fare on the people who put blood sweat and tears into making the show.

How would you like it if you made a game. It reached a target audience of 100,000. However, instead of selling to that 100,000, it was exclusively downloaded illegally by 55% and only 45% bought it? Think about that.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Bahamut God wrote:
A lot of the "piracy is okay" folk do have something in common have something in common. They are poor. When I see people pound on those who download anime, I tend to see it as class warfare. I don't think anime should be free but if you honstly don't have any expendable income that shouldn't mean you can't watch your favorite TV shows.

Personally, I buy as much as I can, but in a lot of cases it's either download or go without. Going without doesn't help the community either. Does this mean our worth as a fan is directly connected to our economic worth?

I'm not even going to bother replying to this, because someone else already said it beter:

Space Goats wrote:
This is such an awful example to use though. Are you comparing poor kids in Brazil who can't afford Pele merchandise to people who download fansubs because both are unable to support their hobby? Last I checked, downloading anime required a computer and broadband. If you own both of those you are automatically in a tier that is VERY capable of buying DVDs. Rather than try to justify that you a good person despite the fact that you download fansubs, just embrace your leecher ways and quit complaining.

If someone is so "poor", how are they able to afford the means to download the fansubs in the first place? A decent computer costs at minimum a couple hundred dollars, not to mention a connectiong good enough to download that anime, you could probably buy a couple of DVDs for the monthly cost...

Last edited by ACDragonMaster on Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Bahamut God wrote:

Personally, I buy as much as I can, but in a lot of cases it's either download or go without...

I'm a long way from rich... now that I pay may own way I only occasionally spend time and money on anime. You know what I do when I have to without? I do without, quite happily. What, can't you think of fifty fun/worthwhile things to do, many of them free or cheap, other than watch anime? Life is chock full of great activities; watching anime is only one of them. People who think they rely on anime for purpose and pleasure in life really need to broaden their parameters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Lazuline and Steroid; so entitled. You know why you think you're entitled to unlimited free anime? Because YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO WORK HARD AND APPLY CAREFULLY HONED TALENT IN ORDER TO CREATE SOMETHING SPECIAL.

Please don't try to tell me why I think what I think. That was the essence of what I was trying to get at. I've linked to my reasonings. If any of it is unclear I will gladly explain it further.
If you think I am lying about what I think, you should present evidence, which is hard to do unless you've caught me arguing other, contradictory, ideas elsewhere. And even if I didn't hold to the arguments myself, they'd still be available for use and would need to be addressed.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12