• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Variety: Live-Action Akira Project in Talks for Revival

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
Why won't this damn project just die already?! Also, they want to make it less for less than $100 million? I'm not even sure that would work judging by how complex and expensive it will be judging by the ending of the anime film.
blindworm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
why a live action akira movie cannot ever happen, no matter how much we want it too

the first movie was not only great, it was important. it created a whole new view of doing animated movies both inside and outside of japan. as well as being one of the reasons anime became popular in north america. it's one of the reasons, we have anime TODAY. it deserves FAR more then being treated as a summer block buster. it should be treated like the next lord of the rings.

also, if they want to just make it into one movie, we already have the original animation, u aren't topping that one. and an americanization has already been done with chronicle.

the only way this project can work is if they adapt the entire series into 6 films (1 for each volume) and make a truly accurate adaptation (i know things have to be different with adaptations), since the series i find is very air tight and easy to bring into film. but this will require an incredibly high budget

the problem is though, that it cannot be done without an R rating. hell in volume 4 they're gunning down kids like there's no tomorrow, and the kids are slaughtering refugees and other kids. u can't possibly avoid an R rating.

because of this no matter how good the movie is, it can't possible make a profit, let alone 6 movies. unless fans donate at least several million dollars, a loyal and proper adaptation can never happen

and if they can't do that, then it shouldn't happen. just stick with the original animated movie and manga series they're fan-frigen-tastic
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
So this is going to be a 90 million piece of crap where every one will watch just to see this
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
you know what a much better Katsuhiro Otomo candidate for live action would be? Domu: A Child's Dream

it's not set in the future, so it'd be much lower budget and it's a shorter, self contained story, so it'd be much easier to adapt
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
90 million $ could give us a really good CG animated film. They should just do that instead, like how they made Tintin. But they won't...
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh my goodness, you people are complaining about whitewash Akira yet you're OK with Taiwan and Korea doing a live-action adaptation of Boys over Flower and Itazura Na Kiss which had characters being changed from Japanese to Chinese or Korean which is I considered as whitewash too. Would you be OK with Taiwan or Korea doing a live-action Akira?? If you say yes, then you're a hypocrite and a Asian supremacist. What about Japan doing a remake of Unforgiven, according to your logic, that would be whitewash too. Oh what about the live-action Thermae Romae which had Japanese playing Romans:

Now how did that film get away without being criticize for whitewash?? If you're going to attack US adaptation of Akira for whitewash, then shouldn't Thermae Romae should get this same type of accusation of whitewash too. Oh and don't give me the old "Japan doesn't have white people so it's OK and justified for Japan to whitewash" crap, there were non-Asian/non-Japanese playing Roman in Thermae Romae also, and Japan could've teamed up with Italy or US to do a live-action Thermae Romae.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Hey Warner Bros., want to not get any hate from hardcore fanboys of the original Akira movie? Try to make this as authentic as possible by hiring Japanese-American actors like Masi Oka and Ken Watanabe. Plus, let Katsuhiro Otomo have as much creative control on this project as possible, and let him tell the director what to do (since Otomo is the executive producer after all). Follow my advice, and you will prevent this project from becoming another Dragonball Evolution. I guarantee it.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Now how did that film get away without being criticize for whitewash??
Because pretty much no one outside of Japan knows about that movie. It was pretty funny how they claimed the Japanese cast looked Roman or whatever, though.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Because pretty much no one outside of Japan knows about that movie. It was pretty funny how they claimed the Japanese cast looked Roman or whatever, though.
Remember that, to the Japanese, the rest of the world doesn't exist. Laughing

This revival will be short lived as soon as they realise how bad "Pacificu Rimu" is choking at the boxoffice at present. Wink
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Oh my goodness, you people are complaining about whitewash Akira yet you're OK with Taiwan and Korea doing a live-action adaptation of Boys over Flower and Itazura Na Kiss which had characters being changed from Japanese to Chinese or Korean which is I considered as whitewash too. Would you be OK with Taiwan or Korea doing a live-action Akira?? If you say yes, then you're a hypocrite and a Asian supremacist. What about Japan doing a remake of Unforgiven, according to your logic, that would be whitewash too. Oh what about the live-action Thermae Romae which had Japanese playing Romans:

Now how did that film get away without being criticize for whitewash?? If you're going to attack US adaptation of Akira for whitewash, then shouldn't Thermae Romae should get this same type of accusation of whitewash too. Oh and don't give me the old "Japan doesn't have white people so it's OK and justified for Japan to whitewash" crap, there were non-Asian/non-Japanese playing Roman in Thermae Romae also, and Japan could've teamed up with Italy or US to do a live-action Thermae Romae.

Or Japanese people playing white British people in the "Black Butler" movie.
Metal_Upa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I suppose it might be possible to do a remake of Akira the Movie, though I'm not sure why anyone would want to do such a thing, but I think that most people who have read the entire manga would agree that adapting the full story into a two or even three hour movie is just not possible, whitewash or no. I for one wish they would not try.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:

If they want to whitewish the story, then they call call it something call else, but for a movie to truly be Akira, it needs to have Asian actors and Neo-Tokyo.

No, not Asian actors, Japanese actors. The thing is that even if they do cast "Asians" some people don't like that they don't cast, the actual ethnic group that the character's supposed to be. That Jamie Chung girl played a Japanese woman in some crappy film, even though Chung's 100% Korean, which might I add is not Japanese. I wouldn't want Kim Jong Il to be played by a Chinese/Chinese-American. Kaneda is not Asian. He's Japanese. Japanese.

When I say Asian as part as Hollywood Akira, I mean Asian-American. The talent pool of Asian-Americans is much larger than if you just tried to cast all Japanese-Americans(you need the actors to be fluent in English so Japanese-American would be ideal but that is a very narrow pool for a casting agency to go through).

I'll add that most Americans sadly cannot tell the difference between Chinese-American, Japanese-American and Korean-American and that Hollywood isn't known for being strict in ethnicity when they cast(e.g they have cast Puerto Ricans as Mexican. There is a big difference between the two).

Obviously it would be super amazing if they did find a Japanese national that could pull off Shotaro Kaneda in English but really if you have a talented Chinese-American actor who can nail that, I'd accept the Chinese-American.

@mdo. Whitewashing is a troubling thing since in most blockbusters, Latinos and Asian-Americans are underrepresented and Caucasian characters(especially the protagonists) are way overrepresented. It is bothersome that Hollywood seems to be subconsciously reinforcing certain nativist beliefs that American= white and nonwhite= other. But I suppose that is more of an academic discussion that doesn't belong in this thread.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Exactly, that's an example of double standard pro-Asian bias. Also nobody complain about Toei's Spiderman which Spiderman is played by a Japanese actor, and the character was changed from white to Asian. Nobody called Toei's Spiderman whitewash.

Animeking1108 wrote:

Or Japanese people playing white British people in the "Black Butler" movie.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one, thanks for bringing that up.

AbZeroNow wrote:

@mdo. Whitewashing is a troubling thing since in most blockbusters, Latinos and Asian-Americans are underrepresented and Caucasian characters(especially the protagonists) are way overrepresented. It is bothersome that Hollywood seems to be subconsciously reinforcing certain nativist beliefs that American= white and nonwhite= other. But I suppose that is more of an academic discussion that doesn't belong in this thread.

I understand and am aware of that too. I like to add that we never had a Asian American boy group or girl group in US music (we had only white, black, and some hispanic one, but never Asian other then Far East Movement). We never had a Asian American "Britney Spears" breaking it big in the US. So it's not only movie that Asian is underrepresented, but also music. K-pop is the only thing that shows the world that Asian have musical talent. But I'm glad for UK people of South Asian decent are appearing in pop music scene like The Wanted had Siva Kaneswaran (who is of Tamil Sri Lankan decent). Maybe if K-pop somehow can go mainstream in US it'll inspire Asian-American boy group and girl group (not only in US, but in UK also) in the future.

As of now, we're seeing more Asian in Hollywood like Korean directors are starting to enter Hollywood. I believe Takashi Miike is in talk about doing his first English-language directorial debut. Also Lee-Byung Hun has also been popping up on Hollywood lately. So it looks like Hollywood could be opening up to Asian, maybe the Korean Wave is helping fixing that image for Asian American (Maybe if Asian American actors want to get more respect they could star in Korean drama/Asian drama, I wouldn't mind seeing Grace Park, Daniel Dae Kim, Sung Kang, and Justin Chon appearing in a Korean drama). So that is some good progress.

Last edited by mdo7 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I think the difference is we Americans, and especially liberal Hollywood, claim to be so progressive and diverse. Yet our movies certainly don't reflect those values. I've never heard Japan or Korea make such claims of diversity.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Such a shame. I'd like to see a good live action adaptation and I see no reason why it's automatically bad as many of the posts here think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3