• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Takes Ownership of top 10 Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reliak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I would assume that American Manga are actually less expensive because they only come out once every six month, don't require license fee and translator. By licensing a manga, you're paying top dollar and on top of that, having to hire a translator and putting out a manga every 3 month. TP itself is taking a lot of risk with uncertain titles and usually a title will be pretty good. Viz like to play on the safe size, they are handfed all their titles from their parent companies.

2nd, I don't know how releasing manga slower effect the title from being on top. Looking at Viz's Naruto, Naruto is taking just about 4 month per volume, yet it's selling well. Beck is taking just as long it's because people aren't buying the BECK manga. So maybe if more people started buying Beck it would be release faster, but nOOO, like the guy above, he rather read scanlation and complain. And blame the slower release date to bookstore that have been oversaturated with manga. By next year, look to see everything that doesn't sell well to be scale back.

And lastly, I think the misconception again that popular = good. A lot of popular titles are pretty overrated (look at Ichigo 100%), and usually overshadow the lesser more well written titles. Bleach is higly overrated shonen fanfare. There are definitely good titles that arn't popular, but it's sad that nobody even bother to take a look at them. Dead End, Smuggler, BECK, Blame and so on. So instead of just buying all the popular shonen and shojo book, try something new and help out the small but good titles.

Most of the American manga actually have the same retail price as Tokyopop's imports, so while it might be easier for TP to purchase them, the fans pay the same. And the quality on a lot of them actually isn't very good, when I bother to flip through them in the bookstore. I know I'm not interested in buying most of their American-made titles.

Some people get tired of waiting for the series to continue. Also, when all the fans have a copy of volume X of the manga, you aren't going to sell many more copies of volume X. You won't make more money until you issue volume Y.

I do read several "unpopular" titles. However, since they're less well known, word-of-mouth is less likely to get around, and fewer people will buy them. If people hear the name "Bleach" or "Naruto" often enough, they'll pick it up just to see what the hype is. If no one's heard of a series except for the one-page ad in the back of another one of their manga, they're less likely to buy it. Licensing lesser-known titles isn't a bad thing at all, but there's just more likely to be less sales.
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:04 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I would assume that American Manga are actually less expensive because they only come out once every six month, don't require license fee and translator. By licensing a manga, you're paying top dollar and on top of that, having to hire a translator and putting out a manga every 3 month. TP itself is taking a lot of risk with uncertain titles and usually a title will be pretty good. Viz like to play on the safe size, they are handfed all their titles from their parent companies.

2nd, I don't know how releasing manga slower effect the title from being on top. Looking at Viz's Naruto, Naruto is taking just about 4 month per volume, yet it's selling well. Beck is taking just as long it's because people aren't buying the BECK manga. So maybe if more people started buying Beck it would be release faster, but nOOO, like the guy above, he rather read scanlation and complain. And blame the slower release date to bookstore that have been oversaturated with manga. By next year, look to see everything that doesn't sell well to be scale back.

And lastly, I think the misconception again that popular = good. A lot of popular titles are pretty overrated (look at Ichigo 100%), and usually overshadow the lesser more well written titles. Bleach is higly overrated shonen fanfare, Kenshin might be good but fail when compare to amazing titles like Vagabond. But because all the kiddys and adult love Bleach, it's going to sell well. There are definitely good titles that arn't popular, but it's sad that nobody even bother to take a look at them. Dead End, Smuggler, BECK, Blame and so on. Viz definitely has some good titles like Blue Spring, Sexy Voice and Robo, but it's not like they're topping the charts. So instead of just buying all the popular shonen and shojo book of the same thing, try something new and help out lesser known but good titles.

Viz is on top (selling) simply because they have the popular shonen and shojo title. And continue to have easier access to all the popular title from their parent company Shueisha. As long as Viz continue to pump out Editor's Choice or Signature Edition, than I'm happy.

Keep in mind that Naturo (and other SJ) are realese 1st on SJ's Ahntology (sp?) then on GN format. That the reason. Tokyopop doesn't have an ahntology series. You know how much I have to wait for Planetes?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
The top 10? Naruto, Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist, Kenshin. Of course these title are going to sell well due to the huge anime fanbase. I own all the latest release to these 4 titles because they are popular as hell.

barbapapa wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
And lastly, I think the misconception again that popular = good. A lot of popular titles are pretty overrated, and usually overshadow the lesser more well written titles. Bleach is higly overrated shonen fanfare. There are definitely good titles that arn't popular, but it's sad that nobody even bother to take a look at them. Dead End, Smuggler, BECK, Blame and so on. So instead of just buying all the popular shonen and shojo book, try something new and help out the small but good titles.

I can twist that theory right back at you and say that unpopular does not equal good per sé... what makes a title good is a person's opinion, and they all differ
Imo Dead End is the biggest piece of trash I ever tried reading, and Im all for more alternative manga as much as I enjoy my shounens, I love Blame!, YKK, Mushishi... But I wanted to gauges my eyes out with a burning toothpick with Dead End.

But that doesnt matter, there will always be smaller titles that NEED to be encouraged to people; I bet not a lot of people are buying Cromartie High School when I think its one of the most hilarious things out there
Complaining that they don't sell wont help, its not the fault of popular series that they don't sell; if everyone would be buying smaller and unknown series those would become popular wouldnt they? And then people would blame them for other series not selling well. Its a vicious circle.
Just encourage people to read and buy what you think is underappreciated. And hope that they like it, if not; well then just keep in mind that not all of the manga-readers out there are as openminded or commited.

Well yeah, Dead End is more complicated and complex than your average straightfoward Hero fight villain and save the world day, so not everyone will get it.

I'm not complaing that popular title are bad. I'm saying that popular title doesn't always equal good and people here usually think because a company own most of the popular title that it means they're the best. Yes in term of sale, but then people just look at TP and say they're crap because they don't license "good" manga when most of these people probably read very few of these unhidden manga to say they're crap.

dmanjdb wrote:

Keep in mind that Naturo (and other SJ) are realese 1st on SJ's Ahntology (sp?) then on GN format. That the reason. Tokyopop doesn't have an ahntology series. You know how much I have to wait for Planetes?

Of course I'm aware of that. But it's not like BECK is selling like hot cakes either. It's a long series 24+ volume, and if it's not selling and the company keep releaseing it, then eventually the title will be drop. The market has been oversatured and bookshelf are more limited. Longer release time gives bookstore more time to sell them before they are sent back to publisher. Looking at all the rate that all these company are releaseing each much, eventually not everything is going to be release the same. The wait isn't a problem for me, Blade of the Immortal is release like once a year, and it's something I look foward to every year.

And don't get me wrong, I love SJ titles as much as the next guy, owning 61 Shonen Jump titles and One Piece being my favorite. They're just popular because they simply appeal to larger demographic.

Last edited by darkhunter on Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:25 pm; edited 5 times in total
barbapapa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Well yeah, Dead End is more complicated and complex than your average straightfoward Hero fight villain and save the world day, so not everyone will get it.

I'm not complaing that popular title are bad. I'm saying that popular title doesn't always equal good and people here usually think because a company own most of the popular title that it means they're the best. Yes in term of sale, but then people just look at TP and say they're crap because they don't license "good" manga when most of these people probably read very few of these unhidden manga to say they're crap.

fact that Dead end was "complex" wasnt really the problem for me; but thats another discussion

And of course titles that sell good arent always better than titles that dont; its just a hype thats been created by the masses cause those are easy to watch. Not everyone is willing to make an effort and really get enlightened by the underrated gems there are, that goes for everything not just manga.
And TP definitely does license good manga, but on a 1 to 10 ratio...
Truth_Teller

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:01 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad it's not Tokyopop. Go Viz. They deserve it for putting out some of the best manga. Tokyopop is just straight out unrespectable company IMO.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote
Wow. Naruto with 6 volumes in the top 13? Well I was kinda expecting it with the broadcasting of the anime on TV.
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:57 am Reply with quote
All I want to know is where I can buy Viz stock?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:34 am Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
All I want to know is where I can buy Viz stock?

Well if you're interested in what Viz got to say, there's an interview with the VP of Viz.
Link
The article is interesting because it mention that Viz is own by Shogakukan and Shueisha, so they pretty much locked in all the well known content. Another tidbit, which I already mention is that Shelf space are becoming more limited. Kenshin is doing monthly, it's probably be Viz's first and last monthly titles Viz put out.

DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Wow. Naruto with 6 volumes in the top 13? Well I was kinda expecting it with the broadcasting of the anime on TV.

It's pretty much expected. When Sin City (movie) open up at the box office, all 7 Sin City TBP books were in the top 10 of all comics book sales.
noneko_Mamimi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:14 am Reply with quote
dmanjdb wrote:
I remember some years ago VIZ were selling manga in a typical comic book format for $4 and Graphic Novels for $20. Then Tokyopop came and brought the actual manga format and made millions and made Viz looked tired.

And now Viz not only followed Tokyopop trail but they improve the format with Shonen Jump titles, SJA, Shojo Beat and tons of quality manga.

And now is Tokyopop that looks tired.

And a prediction. I see Viz going strong in 2006 with Monster, Golgo 13, ROD and more SJ & SB. Tokyopop needs to wake up now.

Yeah, Viz is doing really well now, and they've got a lot of great titles to offer. I myself just bought Hot Gimmick yesterday.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:28 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Kenshin is doing monthly, it's probably be Viz's first and last monthly titles Viz put out.

Kenshin was kind of an exception, wasn't it? I mean, the series wasn't getting any younger or more well known. The potential of a new story was known, so the release was sped up. Viz will do it again if they find one of their series would benefit more from it. You can say limited shelf space, but since half a rack at my local Waldenbooks is occupied by Kenshin alone, I wouldn't worry about it if it were my manga taking up the shelf space.

Other publishers may have to worry about it, but right now, Viz is in control, and they could release Naruto monthly if they wanted, and it would be a smashing success.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, that is 6 volumes of the same hot title as people are obviously playing catch-up.
I still prefer TP. Their translations seem smoother. Of course I don't read Japanese, so they might be totally off, but ADV & CPM, for example, still feel a bit stiff. Viz is good, & they have a variety of prices, don't forget. I know DBZ is cheaper--isn't Kenshin & Naruto? I know Ouran & Meru Puri that I've been following are. They have their $10, then the $8 line & a $9, don't they? Put the Right Stuf sales on top & I'm getting DBZ for about $4.80, Ouran for $5.44 & the other line for $6, so I can get 2 volumes of Viz's Jump line for what I'm paying for CMX or Del Rey which I haven't found a decent regular outlet for a discount for(thus I read fewer titles of theirs. I will pay whatever for my yaoi, though). TP's all $6. So Viz does also have the price factor--if I were a kid on an allowance $8 sounds better than $10.
TP has a lot of excellent Korean titles which we won't be seeing from Viz (at least by what they've said at Comic-con). Rebirth, Eternity, & Threads of Time are among my fav titles right now. And while we've had some milder yaoi from Viz(in the vein we've seen from TP in Fake & Gravitation-and doon't forget they've censored some of it-DoD), TP has given us Blu.
Reliak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
And while we've had some milder yaoi from Viz(in the vein we've seen from TP in Fake & Gravitation-and doon't forget they've censored some of it-DoD), TP has given us Blu.

The only thing I've seen from Blu is Earthian, and while that was very well done...have they put anything else out on that label? Viz tends to have more shounen and hetero shoujo. But their edits...it's stupid, really, considering they're putting out Angel Sanctuary, which has homosexuality, crossdressing, tentacle rape, religious themes, transgenders, rape, dismemberment, violent murder, and incest, in no particular order. Making edits on any other series really just seems pointless.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Well congratulations to them. It's not a huge wonder, really, since VIZ gets the "big shots" to license. I would assume they have really good relationships with Weekly Jump. Less editing though, please?
Karala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Reliak wrote:
The only thing I've seen from Blu is Earthian, and while that was very well done...have they put anything else out on that label?

Tokyopop is only the distributor, they aren't the company its self. Blu has also released Wild Rock, Love Mode and Shinobu Kokoro. In the coming months there's going to be Shout Out Loud! (I love this one), Gorgeous Carat, Man's Best Friend and Menkui!.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I got Kenshin. I don't tend to buy manga if I've already seen the anime, but Kenshin is the exception. And not just because half the manga was never animated (in any way that did it justice, at least.)

Since when is Fruits Basket not in the top ten, though? That series is so popular I can find it among the paperbacks at the supermarket. I've never seen any Viz titles there...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3