• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Busou Renkin, total rip-off of Fullmetal Alchemist?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:31 am Reply with quote
this is like an earlier thread where someone thought someone sang an anime song "fly me to the moon" from evangelion, withouth knowing that it was originally sung by frank sinatra
hayakunero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:48 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
「scanlation」 と言う物を分かるか?俺は「武装錬金」を日本語で読んだ、でもこのスレの人達の大半は日本語を分からない。

- abunai

日本語お上手ですね。びっくりしました。 Razz
Thanks. Do you scan manga and read it on the computer screen? Why do you take time to read manga??? That means you can read busou renkin without buying weekly jump or comics? You can do that? I mean, is it allowed? Where can I get other jump manga? And can I read them in Japanese? But I prefer to read manga lying in bed. Surprised

I think only hard core kaijin otaku read busou renkin、right? By the way, what are bosou renkin, chou saikou and harawatawo buchimakero in English?
日本人以外で武装錬金を読む外人て相当なオタクなんでしょうか?
それにしても武装錬金とか蝶サイコーとかはらわたをぶちまけろとか英語でなんていうんですか?
Grieving Chaos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:12 am Reply with quote
[quote="hayakunero"]
Thanks. Do you scan manga and read it on the computer screen? Why do you take time to read manga??? That means you can read busou renkin without buying weekly jump or comics? You can do that? I mean, is it allowed? Where can I get other jump manga? And can I read them in Japanese? But I prefer to read manga lying in bed. :o

[quote]

For manga's that aren't liscened by an American company, there are people online who read scanslations. These are mangas that have been scanned online and then translated into english (or whatever language you can find) and then Photoshopped so you can read them normally.

Yes, we can read Renkin without purchasing anything. The scanslations are up online (Don't bother asking where, it's forbidden on ANN) for download. I, personally, have no problems reading a scanslation of an unliscened title. However, it IS technically illegal (or at least very shady) so it's up to you whether or not to read them.

You can find other Jump titles online, but you'd have to do a title search. And as far as in Japanese, I don't think so. If you can read Japanese, then I'd go with buying them. If I could, I wouldn't bother with the scans.
Edensin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:50 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
this is like an earlier thread where someone thought someone sang an anime song "fly me to the moon" from evangelion, withouth knowing that it was originally sung by frank sinatra

Can I get a link to that forum, or at least can you tell me where it's at. I'm wanna read that now lol. Seems funny.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Edensin wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:

Can I get a link to that forum, or at least can you tell me where it's at. I'm wanna read that now lol. Seems funny.

actually i think it was thread mentioned on a different thread, but i actually never read the original thread myself

if that made sense
Edensin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
Edensin wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:

actually i think it was thread mentioned on a different thread, but i actually never read the original thread myself

if that made sense

...barely. lol.
Grieving Chaos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Hm. I didn't know that was by Sinatra either. Odd.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:18 am Reply with quote
Grieving Chaos wrote:
Hm. I didn't know that was by Sinatra either. Odd.

Actually, while Fly me to the Moon was made famous by Sinatra, it isn't originally a Sinatra song. It was written in 1954 by Bart Howard, and was originally performed by Felicia Sanders. It became regularly featured in performances by Count Basie and his orchestra. It wasn't until the mid-1960s that it became identified with Sinatra.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MonkeyFunk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:27 am Reply with quote
I don't think anyone is seriously saying that FMA invented the ideas of alchemy and homunculi, just that Busou Renkin is using the same ideas to "ride the success" of FMA - kind of like those cheap direct-to-video animated movies that "coincidentally" adapt the same public domain stories as Disney.

Understand that I'm not accusing Busou Renkin of anything - I've never heard of it before - just pointing out that this guy's views aren't as stupid as some of you seem to think.
red stranger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
What I mean by Kenshin inspiring other characters after him is,more of the Character back ground of him. a warrior who had dark past,and now seeks to redeem himself. thus cue Vash. as in Spike well ha! ofcourse he was inspired by Lupin the 3rd! yet he has more personality. yet that is again my opinion. Yet how his own past haunts him.

As someone mentioned before, the idea of someone being torrmented by their past is much older than Rurouni Kenshin. Just turn on the TV and watch Ebeneezer Scrooge be haunted (literally) by the ghost of Christmas Past.

In the case of Spike, unlike Kenshin, he is not trying to redeem himself, nor has he stopped killing people. Kenshin also manages to get over his past to be happy again, while Spike spoiler[gives up on his future to die with his past.] Two different characters with two different lives and two different endings.

And Lupin 3rd was only one of the many influences on Spike and Cowboy Bebop, just like Kenshin, Trigun, FMA, and (probably) Busou Renkin all have many different things influencing them. Alchemy, Sword fighters and gunslingers have all been around longer than manga.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
hayakunero wrote:
Thanks. Do you scan manga and read it on the computer screen?

I read scans of manga, yes - both in Japanese, and in scanlated versions.
hayakunero wrote:
Why do you take time to read manga???

That seems an odd question -- do you mean: as opposed to just watching anime?

I read manga for the training in reading Japanese; for pleasure; for better understanding of the anime versions; for sheer admiration of the skill involved in some of the best manga; for occasional titillation (yes, everybody reads that kind of manga, whether they admit it or not); and often, because the manga is better than the anime.

hayakunero wrote:
That means you can read busou renkin without buying weekly jump or comics? You can do that?

Yes, you can do that. I haven't - I've read the first tankoubon in Japanese, plus some scanlations.

hayakunero wrote:
I mean, is it allowed?

It's illegal, but a lot of people are doing it. "Allowed"? 言わぬが花。

hayakunero wrote:
Where can I get other jump manga? And can I read them in Japanese? But I prefer to read manga lying in bed. Surprised

The rules of this forum forbid me from directing you to scanlations. Besides, your computer monitor is probably too unwieldy to take to bed.

hayakunero wrote:
I think only hard core kaijin otaku read busou renkin、right?

Maybe so. I don't really think of myself as an otaku, whether in the Japanese or the American sense. I'm European. Then again, I don't really think Busou Renkin is among the better manga I've read -- so maybe you're right.

hayakunero wrote:
By the way, what are bosou renkin, chou saikou and harawatawo buchimakero in English?

武装錬金 (busou renkin) = "armed alchemy"
蝶サイコー (chou saikou) = "supergreat" or "the very best"
臓物をぶち撒けろ (harawata o buchimakero) = "spill your guts" or "confess all" (I guess)

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
huh?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:32 pm Reply with quote
MonkeyFunk wrote:
I don't think anyone is seriously saying that FMA invented the ideas of alchemy and homunculi, just that Busou Renkin is using the same ideas to "ride the success" of FMA - kind of like those cheap direct-to-video animated movies that "coincidentally" adapt the same public domain stories as Disney.

Understand that I'm not accusing Busou Renkin of anything - I've never heard of it before - just pointing out that this guy's views aren't as stupid as some of you seem to think.

the stories are so dissimilar that just having alchemy as a common thread between the two isnt enough in my opinion to accuse br of riding the coattails of fma, and it's definitely not a "total rip-off". neon genesis evangelion, rahxephon, robotech, gundam and all the other mecha anime out there are not simply ripping each other off, but rather attempting to create good stand alone series. they dont always succeed, but theyre not rippoffs
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I think it's rather far-fetched to call it a rip-off. The only link is alchemy. Yeah, they both have the homunculi/alchemy thing. But those concepts have historical roots. It wasn't something made up by the author of FMA, the author got wrote about an ancient concept. If another book featured dragons, giant serpents, hippogriffs, ghouls, and pheonixes, would it be a rip off of Harry Potter? No, because they are mythological creatures that have been around in ancient stories from God knows when. I've read BR's scans, and there is absolutely no correlation. There's also a billion recent manga featuring samurai, and not all of them are "rip-offs" of Rurouni Kenshin.
hayakunero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:34 am Reply with quote
Abunai-san 
Thanks for answering my silly questions. I don't know what scanlation is exactly but now I know it's illegal. I'm Japanese and proud of it so that I don't want to violate Japanese and international copyright law. scan + translation= scanlation? I thought you scan and translate manga all by yourself and it was waste of time.
On second thougt I don't need scanlation since I buy weekly jump every week.
abunai wrote:

I read manga for the training in reading Japanese; for pleasure; for better understanding of the anime versions; for sheer admiration of the skill involved in some of the best manga; for occasional titillation (yes, everybody reads that kind of manga, whether they admit it or not); and often, because the manga is better than the anime.

I don't think Japanese manga and anime improves your Japanese unless you learn Japanese just to enjoy manga and anime. Japanese spoken in anime and manga is useless so you can't (shouldn't) use it when you talk with a real Japanese. マンガやアニメの日本語は日本人と話す時には使わないほうがいいですよ。
abunai wrote:

武装錬金 (busou renkin) = "armed alchemy"
蝶サイコー (chou saikou) = "supergreat" or "the very best"
臓物をぶち撒けろ (harawata o buchimakero) = "spill your guts" or "confess all" (I guess)

- abunai

なるほど、こうなるんですか。 蝶サイコーはButterfly rocks.ではだめですか? Laughing It can't be helped but chou saikou is a word play so its accurate translation into English is impossible or extremely hard.
武装錬金がジャンプのどの辺に掲載されていたか知ってます? scanlation読んでる外人さんたちは打ち切りの心配しなくていいので、いいですね。ははは。
いろいろ教えていただいてありがとうございました。親切にしてもらえてうれしかったです。
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
hayakunero wrote:
I don't think Japanese manga and anime improves your Japanese unless you learn Japanese just to enjoy manga and anime. Japanese spoken in anime and manga is useless so you can't (shouldn't) use it when you talk with a real Japanese. マンガやアニメの日本語は日本人と話す時には使わないほうがいいですよ。

I think Abunai was talking about learning Kanji, as he said "reading" Japanese. At least that's why I read untranslated manga. Or at least try to read...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5