• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Junjō Romantica Boys-Love Manga Has More Anime in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, I don't remember that about HaruDai, I reckon I didn't finish it yet, but what stuck to me the most about that manga is the great dynamics of both characters, both as a couple and as co-workers. Even if there's a clear seme and uke in the relationship, the tropes for both roles are almost non-existant (no one is "the housewife" so to speak, which many BL with marked seme/uke roles have, and the sex scenes spoiler[rarely have anyone going "No! Stop it!" through the whole thing, which I find refreshing) and both play active roles during their love-making as opposed to the seme attacking and the uke lying there and squirming like a blushing virgin.] But mostly, after they settle as lovers, very early on in the manga, it feels like both of them stand as equals and support each other rather than being in a constant push-and-shove of fighting over petty things/getting jealous over nothing, having silly communication problems and stupid misunderstandings over and over

Quote:
As for Terrorist, I'm not sure where you are coming from unless you mean the uke harassing the seme.

I don't remember it with detail either, but IIRC, very early on, spoiler[after the uke starts harrassing the seme, the seme goes like "Oh, so you're experienced in this" and sort of forces him to give him a BJ to prove himself -obviously failing-, which frustrates the seme who in turn shoves the uke to the bed and forces himself on him]. Or something like that. Been a while, honestly, I read all of them once and now I only reread Egoist from time to time

@sunflower
When I say healthy it's mostly for lack of a better word, but I basically mean relationships that are not based on abuse or dub-con sex. There's a point in Romantica in which I got really sick of Usagi because he would get batshit insane whenever Misaki even tried to make friends and try to control his life, pegging it on "I love you so much and I don't want to lose you" garbage. I reckon latest chapters show him trying to grow out of it, but the trope of "Overzealous seme that wants to throw the uke in a cage" really annoys me, even moreso than "Whiny uke who's always wailing 'stop it' in the middle of sex" (apparently many BL are under the impression that both participants can't be really into it when having sex, so one of them must try to resist with all his might. God I hate that trope), and that's saying a lot.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
@sunflower - I wish there was a like button for posts cause that post was both hilarious and sadly true.

@CrowLia

In that scene from what I remember the kid Shinobu was trying his damndest to get Miyagi to recognize him as a love interest and so....vague memories don't make for great arguments and I'm not currently near my Junjo Romantica volumes to check for sure.... I think I remember what your talking about but I'm not for sure. Geh. I'll have to reread Terrorist when I get home. Sorry for wasting your time on it. As for HaruDai spoiler[I'm pretty sure it's in the first volume (the only one I own currently) when they are on the set of the movie they are filming together.] This at least I do remember cause it stuck out to me unlike Junjo Terrorist where the only thing I really remember is that Kazuhiko Inoue speaks Miyagi in the anime.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote
But they were spoiler[filming a sex scene at that moment? o-O. What I recall of that scene is that Iwaki got pissed at Katou because he (Katou) was making love with him and actually feeling it, rather than acting, which Iwaki considered unprofessional. If it's the right scene, then I never thought of it as rape because well, they were already supposed to be having sex for the job,] though maybe I'm forgetting something?

Sorry for derailing this into a HaruDai discussion BTW. Maybe I'll go check the first volume again to be sure.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:33 am Reply with quote
Okay last derailment bit: spoiler[They were filming a sex scene but it wasn't suppose to be them actually having sex just suppose to look like it but the blond guy lost it when the black hair guy said his line "I love you". I remember the crew commenting how realistic it looked even though they were just suppose to be acting and that the black haired guy was pretty pissed off about it and was bleeding afterwards. Later the blond was trying to get him to forgive him for assaulting him by offering himself.] I think the OVA covers that scene as well- I haven't watched that though in a while. End of derailment.
DaftPhunk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:05 am Reply with quote
sakuragtin wrote:
Just a thought, is it becoming fashionable in the BL fandom to not like Junjo Romantica or Sekaiichi, either both or one? Half the posts I ever see are "Oh my god, not another one". I would love to see other BL mangaka to get a break that's not some one-shot OVA that's main purpose is to be animated smut (No Money anyone and unfortunately the Close the Last Door OVA which sucks cause Yugi Yamada deserves better). His Favorite by Suzuki Tanaka (being released currently by Sublime) I think would be a great choice to become an anime as it is not a typical BL and it's more of a crazy comedy than anything else.

I wouldn't say it has suddenly become fashionable, more that the people who always had a problem with the series/author's work are getting more and more fed up and outspoken about their frustrations. Since pretty much all the BL anime that gets announced is based on her work, and little else.

But I absolutely agree that His Favorite would be an amazing choice.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:20 am Reply with quote
As much as I love the Egoist couple, I just dunno how I feel about this.
I don't really care for the rest of JR and to be completely honest I'd rather they adapt someone else's work. I'd love to see Elektel Delusion get an adaption.

I'm happy for Nakamura's success, but there's so many other great BL artists out there who deserve a shot.

Anyway, I'll more than likely watch it for Egoist, but I'm more excited for that Love Stage anime adaption we're supposedly getting.
zdm2012

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quote
Forget JR....more focus should be on new Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi anime or a live action of the series, now that would be awesome! Very Happy
saikano75

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know when it going to come out? I know they said there is more in the works but seeing as it took four years, I can't help but wonder if they said it just to say it and maybe it won't air not even next year....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2