• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-03-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
Yo, the kittens are doing a knuckle greeting! Now all we need to do is kit them out with guns and bling bling to get ourselves a couple of full-blooded gangsta kitties.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Good answer on underground/niche/mainstream.

I think one problem with the "niche" vs. "mainstream" debate is that those terms are somewhat fluid with a fuzzy line between them, and both terms can be applied to some shows depending on the scope being used.

If you're talking about their status within the general fandom niche, shows shown on CN/AS in the late evenings and overnight like Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Inu Yasha, and Neon Genesis Evangelion are as "mainstream" as they come. Most people who are into anime to some degree know at least a little about those shows regardless of whether or not they are actually fans of them.

But those shows are by-and-large unknown to the general public at large, with most adults in general not caring about cartoons and those that do care usually only caring about a very narrow band of American audience-oriented comedies and CGI films with celebrity voices. As such, they are "niche" in the broader scope of the general public. If those shows were truly "mainstream", they wouldn't be on cable in the late evenings and overnight, and, even among the people who watch Adult Swim, the anime gets only a fraction of the audience that the American comedies get, with the only Adult Swim shows that ever seem to crack the Nielsen top 30 charts with the teenage and young adult demographic splits being the Family Guy and Futurama reruns and, sometimes, The Boondocks.

I could count the number of anime shows from the past decade that have been truly "mainstream" in terms of there being some vague awareness among the general American public on my fingers, and still have several fingers left over, and if you go on to further limit the "mainstream" definition to "anime that had a popularity approaching that of Spongebob Squarepants among kids", I think you'd be left with only Pokémon, and, to a lesser degree, Yu-Gi-Oh and possibly Digimon.

Anime is certainly a lot more popular now than a decade ago, but it's still not as popular as a lot of anime fans believe, and, while I believe that anime fandom among adults will expand when the Pokémon/Dragonball Z/Inu Yasha generation comes of age, I don't think that everyone who enjoyed some anime as children will necessarily grow up to be adult anime fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThirdWizard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Awww, I love Yuki Kajiura's music. She's the composer of the stuff you listed. I admit, though, her music is very recognizable and if you don't like one you probably won't like any. But, I thought she in part made Mai-HiME great. (fanboy moment, YMMV)
redcomet15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
ThirdWizard wrote:
Awww, I love Yuki Kajiura's music. She's the composer of the stuff you listed. I admit, though, her music is very recognizable and if you don't like one you probably won't like any. But, I thought she in part made Mai-HiME great. (fanboy moment, YMMV)

I'll second this sentiment. The soundtrack for Xenosaga II, done by Yuki Kajiura, is one of my favorite albums. I suppose her work just isn't every one's cup of tea, though.

Zac wrote:
Okay, so by "us" I'm going to assume you mean "anime fans", right? If you're talking about furries or something I can't help you, man.

I lol'd. I don't think even Jesus Christ could help the furries.
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
humantyphoon wrote:
I agree, the old dub was probably garbage, there no real reason for people to complain.

PROBABLY garbage? Dude, if you haven't seen it, you can't call it garbage. I haven't seen the new Disney dub, but I like the old Fox dub a lot. Mei was slightly annoying, but no more so than the typical girl her age, and I thought the girl who played Satsuki gave a great performance. The dad was perfect as well, in that late-80s-generic-dad-in-a-kid's-movie kind of way.

And how can you say no one in the old dub was famous? Why, your own encyclopedia here says that the actress who played Satsuki played "Dying Woman" in "Fist of the Northstar"! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
What defines the Naruto "uncut" DVD? Does that imply there will be a Japanese version with subtitles, all erased footage from the Toonami broadcast maintained, or a reduced number of digital edits?
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the "Fox dub".

If I remember correctly the Japanese Buena Vista release in 2001 used the same dub.

I'd have to dig out my copy of the region 2 disc to check.

The dub was actually done years before Fox entered the picture by Troma. Fox simply licensed and distributed the Troma dub.

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/totoro/credits.html

Gilles - I think I have this correct - Poitras
aluria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the entire first season of Tsubasa Chronicle and boy, it left much to be desired. The entire season but very slow paced and every 5 minutes had some panning across the characters. Even at the end of the season when Shaoran was fighting Seishirou it was like, "Come on! Get on with it already!". Not worth it to buy in my opinion.

I'm still a fan of Sailor Moon and I know someone who is still over the top in love with Sailor Moon. She is currently on the hunt to buy the season 2 box set. So yes, they still exist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote
aluria wrote:

... I know someone who is still over the top in love with Sailor Moon. She is currently on the hunt to buy the season 2 box set. So yes, they still exist.

aluria: Drop me an email, I know where your friend can order the 2nd season ADV box set. [email protected]

And yes I do promise I will get around to taking notes on all the Sailor Moon and start including entries related to the series in the Anime Companion Supplement.
http://www.koyagi.com/ACPages/ACmain.html

Gotta get caught up on Maison Ikkoku, Urusei Yatsura, Otogi Zoshi, and Peacemaker first.
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
So where does the over-30 anime watchers that buy legitimate DVDs and never watched a fansub in his or her lifetime fall? Does this mean that these poeple aren't part of the "mainstream" anime culture? Does this mean that people over the age of 30 (like myself) that watch and buy anime legitimately (i.e. legally) are not legitimate anime fans? Sorry, Zac, but I don't understand what you are implying in your answer.

Sadly it means that we are by far the minority. There are a group of us that have been into anime since we watched Astroboy, Robotech, Voltron and Transor Z as kids. A smaller set of us have the means to purchase the anime we wish to see and the personal ethics to pay for what we want. We exist, but we are NOT the majority.

Please note that the phrase 'personal ethics' means exactly that; PERSONAL. It in no way implies that those ethics are shared by the majority or should be. I'd like to avoid seeing another thread hijacked by 'the infamous fansub debate'.

I wish there were more of us. The anime distributors certainly wish there were more of us. We're the set of customers they WANT to sell to. We buy (and buy and buy and...) there products, often based only on online reviews and/or the package write-ups. I have 1261 anime DVDs. All but 11 are legal R1 releases. (I admit I buy subbed copies of One Piece.) I am the exception, not the rule. Sadly so are others like me.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern: I only hate dubs which dumb down or modernize the dialogue.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
What defines the Naruto "uncut" DVD? Does that imply there will be a Japanese version with subtitles, all erased footage from the Toonami broadcast maintained, or a reduced number of digital edits?

Correct. The Uncut box sets will have no edits in them. Everything in the Japanese video will be their. Uncut does not necessarily mean a Japanese track will be included, but it is almost guaranteed that it will be on there.
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Malintex Terek wrote:

Correct. The Uncut box sets will have no edits in them. Everything in the Japanese video will be their. Uncut does not necessarily mean a Japanese track will be included, but it is almost guaranteed that it will be on there.

Actually, the first Naruto DVD that is coming out is dubbed only, I believe, but there is already a subbed version being planned (if I'm remembering correctly from the upcoming releases list.)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Um, yeah. I know that, and I think the person I was replying that knew and that was what they were asking about. Heck, I specifically said "the uncut box sets" in my post.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the Sailor Moon fans are ever just going to die away. It accounted for most of the female anime and manga fans we have now, and it's just one of those series a girl will always have a soft spot for. The online community is still strong, it's just mainly girls in their 20s now. It's weird though because they have some group activities like... let's watch episodes so and so this week, and who can make me copies of the dub so my kids can watch Sailor Moon.

As to where they got that info about it being canceled due to ratings being to high for, I have no clue on the legitamacy of it, but it was from SOS *Save Our Sailors*, the online campaign for Sailor Moon that died a couple years ago. They apparently investigated, and well, this is what they came up with:
http://www.iwaynet.net/~sos/cndrop.html

They always gave me a headache whenever I tried reading their crap.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3