• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Picks up Full Metal Panic TSR

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:25 am Reply with quote
That's because FUNi used to do use two sets of subtitles; one a dubtitle script for the hearing impaired, and another one for the actual translation. Confused

Switch the subtitles on your DVD player.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:11 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
That's because FUNi used to do use two sets of subtitles; one a dubtitle script for the hearing impaired, and another one for the actual translation. Confused

On top of this, their more recent titles, starting with Samurai 7 don't include dubtitles.

Quote:
I should mention that I'm taking Japanese for just that reason

Gone are the days people learn things for good reasons.
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:35 am Reply with quote
According to Vic Mignogna at the FMA panel in Boston, the original cast will be returning for TSR. He wouldn't say at that point who had licensed it, but he did say that the original cast should be in it, as far as he knew.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:46 am Reply with quote
Makes you wonder what is going on with ADV to let a major title of theirs go like this and the fact that there has been very little activity from them so far this year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Serge

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:09 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Serge wrote:
MAJORLY Disapointted that FUNimation got TSR, I was looking forward to ADV Licensing it soon. I'm a MASSIVE Sub fan (99% of my anime I watched subbed), but FMP I've been watching Dubbed because I think the dub is great, it would be cool if the old English VA's return, but knowing FUNimation's Dub, it's going to be Totally inaccurate therefore I will have to watch TSR Subbed, Unfortunately. A Shame.
Sounds like someone is stuck back in 2000. FUNI has done just fine on numerous dubs in the past few years.
Wow, the patten holds true once again...every time Funi announces a new license, someone just has to chime in and say "OMG Funimation's totally going to ruin this title with tons of editing and a bad dub" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wake up people, IT'S NOT THE DBZ ERA AT FUNIMATION ANYMORE. Go watch some FMA, Fruits Basket, or Gunslinger Girl if you need proof.
Anyway, about FMP! TSR itself...I knew the license was coming, I knew it was coming this summer, but I was hoping for ADV as well Crying or Very sad Not that Funi is a bad company, and I won't hesitate to give them my money for TSR...I just wanted a complete, uniform set of FMP! DVDs all from ADV. It seems like Funimation does have the deep pockets these days...they can apparently afford to take the risk now known as Rumbling Hearts, they're picking up other big titles left and right, and they're even taking over distribution from other companies, like the Slayers TV series and those TokyoPop titles like Initial D, Marmalade Boy, and GTO. Just what is the secret of their success, especially given the poor reputation that they unfairly have?

Dude, "Desert Punk" just came out with FUNimation, read ANN's Review for the first DVD, and then get back to me.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote
OneHotAlchemist wrote:
According to Vic Mignogna at the FMA panel in Boston, the original cast will be returning for TSR. He wouldn't say at that point who had licensed it, but he did say that the original cast should be in it, as far as he knew.
Very Happy I Sure hope this is true I loved the ADV cast I hope they come back For the TSR.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kuraiyoake

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:39 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Yes, there are two Subtitle tracks for the GXP DVDs, but the second is not accessible directly from the DVD's menu (the available options are ON (Subtitle Track 1) and OFF (Subtitles Disabled). Past the lack of a menu option for Signs Only or hearing-impaired subtitles, regardless if it is a signs only track, dubtitle track, or a true subtitle, that's no reason to add non-existant lines or omit existing ones.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

I won't argue it if you believe it to be bad for a person to learn and come to understand a language that they did not grow up immersed in, but I will say that once I began taking the class, I found myself enjoying it more than classes of my own PFOS. Enough so to begin considering changing majors.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
See? See? I told y'all ADV wouldn't get The Second Raid. But no~oo, you all balked at me and called me "insane" and said my claims were "unfounded."

Well who's balking now? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
kuraiyoake wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

I won't argue it if you believe it to be bad for a person to learn and come to understand a language that they did not grow up immersed in, but I will say that once I began taking the class, I found myself enjoying it more than classes of my own PFOS. Enough so to begin considering changing majors.

I think he means that wanting to learn Japanese just to understand anime without subtitles is a silly reason to learn a language. You made it sound like that's the main reason you learned it. If it is, then I agree with him.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
Dude, "Desert Punk" just came out with FUNimation, read ANN's Review for the first DVD, and then get back to me.
I had read that review when it came out, and regarding what Key said:
Quote:
Most importantly, though, the snappy English script is a distinct improvement over the original, which wasn’t shabby on its own merits. It may not be as accurate, but the English script does have more bite – and “bite” is what a series like [Desert Punk] is all about. FUNimation has a well-established reputation for being more concerned with making nice-flowing dubs rather than accurate ones, but in this case it’s the right call.
I agree with him on that, though that's just my opinion. Maybe their accuracy is a bit off, but I wouldn't say it's off the deep end.
RJ

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Wake up people, IT'S NOT THE DBZ ERA AT FUNIMATION ANYMORE. Go watch some FMA, Fruits Basket, or Gunslinger Girl if you need proof.
Just what is the secret of their success, especially given the poor reputation that they unfairly have?

I wonder if we were watching the same Fruits Basket because its dubbing was so horrible it cracked my windows. Hands down the worst dub I've ever heard.
The secret of their success? Tokyopop shares the same secret since they inturn mutilated the Fruits basket Manga. I think both companies have been very fortunate to pick up titles made popular by fansubs and scanlations and many poor Japanese illiterate fans have no alternative but to buy them.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
RJ wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Wake up people, IT'S NOT THE DBZ ERA AT FUNIMATION ANYMORE. Go watch some FMA, Fruits Basket, or Gunslinger Girl if you need proof.
Just what is the secret of their success, especially given the poor reputation that they unfairly have?

I wonder if we were watching the same Fruits Basket because its dubbing was so horrible it cracked my windows. Hands down the worst dub I've ever heard.
The secret of their success? Tokyopop shares the same secret since they inturn mutilated the Fruits basket Manga. I think both companies have been very fortunate to pick up titles made popular by fansubs and scanlations and many poor Japanese illiterate fans have no alternative but to buy them.

Rolling Eyes

Yes, it's all part of the master plan. Good job in finding them out.

I swear, some people are never satisfied.
RJ

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Royal Devil wrote:

Never satisfied with what? My right, as a consumer, to a quality product? I dont think any of us are giving that up anytime soon.
Beruda

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
The secret of Funimations success is Navare and the infusion of cash from said parent company. Coupled with the success of the first two series the license for FMP:TSR was probably quite a bit higher. Even if it wasn't I think FUNI has more money to spend. And they obviously wanted it so they paid.

They got BECK too, I'm sure that wasn't cheap.

Having all three series would have been nice for ADV though, I was looking forward to that myself. As long as they use the same actors I can deal.

P.S. The Fruits Baskets dub was dreadful.

B.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:17 am Reply with quote
RJ wrote:
Royal Devil wrote:

Never satisfied with what? My right, as a consumer, to a quality product? I don't think any of us are giving that up anytime soon.

And they gave you a sub option. Problem solved.

Sure it has a few faults, but to call it the worst dub ever is a far,far stretch. You can't honestly say it's as bad as the stuff 4Kids churns out and most 90s dubs.

If you can honestly call it the worst dub ever then you must be watching nothing but very good dubs

Still, I considered most of the cast to fit the rolls they were given, except Ritsu..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4