• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales of Symphonia Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quadraxis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I love ToS but... there are so many other games with better stories and characters.

That may be, but ToS is certainly one of the games that had a better story than most of the games I've played. Granted, I haven't played that many RPG's yet, but until now it still stands above other RPG's like Star Ocean 3, FFX, the 3 Fire Emblems and Baten Kaitos.

Anyway, I'd love to see Kratos and Sheena in the anime. Especially Kratos, he just rocks Very Happy.
glamorousjrocker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm gonna watch the ToS OVA. I love the game, so having an anime is great to me.

I don't really play that many RPGs, cause owning a Gamecube doesnt really allow it, so I really wouldn't know anything that'd be better as an anime. There are a bunch of RPGs I want to play, but I need a Playstation 2.
Anrui Ukimi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Ah, great stuff. I love ToS. Cosplaying it for AX and everything. I will wait with much anticipation for the OVA. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
frubam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:15 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
I hope this is based on the game's storyline. I love that game and its storyline. Best storyline and characters I've ever seen ina video game... Admittedly, I've never played a PS or PS2 RPG, though...

I also hope this anime is good. I don't want to be disappointed the way I always am with Transformers anime.

I disagree. I hope its nothing more than a sidestory. Being that I have watched both the ToE and ToP animes, I can say that, while extremely well done for a 4 ep OVA based on a game, ToP still lacked a lot of content. ToE, though it was 13 eps(and not limited to 4 like ToP), had a lot more substance. It didn't feel rushed, nor did it jump around[in terms of timeline], plus added new chars to the mix. ToP was cooler(I mean c'mon,spoiler[Klarth casts Volt and Arche casting Indignation at the same time? Too damn sweet!!!]), but ToE was better in an overall perspective... at least imo.
ChaosAxess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote
Too bad Eternia's anime sucks in terms of story <_<. They threw crap outta no where... Plus, it lost points for the lack of Fog~(Max). Phantasia-OVA was kinda confusing to those who didn't know the story and it was frustrating to those who did (for the lack of content). It's just great to watch and see your favorite Phantasia characters in animated glory~. It would've been great to see Production I.G. do them, however. Their in-game animations are the best~.

PantsGoblin wrote:
I would have liked them to do ToA actually the most, it's currently my favorite Tales game (and not just because Halko did a voice in it). But I think some companies are looking at American audiences too for making money, maybe they noticed ToS's popularity in the US and decided to do that... but I think it would have been better to do another considering the Tales series is FAR more popular in Japan.

I agree. Abyss is by far the best in the series story-wise, character-wise(see Luke avatar =P), and battle-wise. Symphonia was pathetic in all aspects, in my opinion. Bad story, boring clichéd characters, and a terribly slow-paced and shallow battle system, especially when compared to its predecessor, Tales of Destiny 2. I found it impossible to get back into the game after beating it once... Legendia was the same way.

I doubt they're targetting American audiences... I mean, chances are that we won't even get it over here, after all.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Thank God! Let's hope they keep the same English cast. They were all great.

Unless the anime gets dubbed by 4kids. Then they'll just replace them like they did for Sonic X *Hopes to God 4kids doesn't get TOS*. But yeah if a Tales of Symphonia anime IS getting made, I'll be sending for a DVD of it RIGHT away. The manga was awesome so I expect the anime will be at least AS good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheema

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I can't wait eather Very Happy
Sheema

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
The manga..? you mean the game right..? (I did not know there is a manga of Tos)
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Sheema wrote:
The manga..? you mean the game right..? (I did not know there is a manga of Tos)

There is a manga. It's not licensed though.
GenEX_the_Hareoic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
So it's real this time?

*explodes from sheer happiness*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Valdreko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes Hmm i was wondering when the show for Tales Of Symphonia starts in America if it hasn't already and what channel. Also, is there perhapes a second TOS coming out? thanks
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Valdreko wrote:
Rolling Eyes Hmm i was wondering when the show for Tales Of Symphonia starts in America if it hasn't already and what channel. Also, is there perhapes a second TOS coming out? thanks

I don't think that TOS has even aired in Japan yet, so it will be some time until it will air in the US. I haven't played the game but just reading the summary of the anime makes me want to check this title out and play the game.

Delta
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
It's an OVA, so I don't think it's going to air in Japan even when it does come out. At least, as far as I know.

The game IS really good, one of my favorites. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys RPGs and has a Gamecube. The story starts out seeming cliched but they have some neat twists after the first ten hours or so.

(I hope, that if it ever comes over to the US, they can get the english cast for the game to do the dub. Cam Clarke did an excellent job as Kratos in the game, and I really like Tara Strong as Presea, too. I think they'd be more expensive than the average anime dub actor, though....^^; )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I love this game, Tales of Symhonia was definately fun. And I love Robin as Lloyd. I hope they get the english cast also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:58 am Reply with quote
Scott Menville? Yeah, I thought he did pretty good with Lloyd, I really enjoy his work. That being said, though, he's one of the cast members I wouldn't mind as much if they couldn't get him back, because there's a lot of actors that work on anime dubs that could do a 'hero' voice like Menville can. (Johnny Young Bosch would make a great Lloyd, for example.)

Cam Clarke, to me, would almost be a must to get back, though. Crispin Freeman's the only anime dubber I can think of that can really replicate the soulful, thoughtful, older (but not TOO old) tone that Clarke gave to Kratos, and Freeman's already in the game as Regal, so it wouldn't make too much sense to use him.

Of course, like I said, I'd imagine Cam Clarke would be reeeally expensive compared to the typical anime dub actor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3