• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2011 (First Half)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:39 am Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
big LOL @ "Naruto is too dark and complex"...man, you really see funny things around here.

bib LOL @ people who do not see the difference with one piece, which has much more streamlined plot and obviously more about pure enjoyment and romantic pirate treasures adventures than heavier projects where both good and bad heroes build and implement endless theories about changing and reshaping world according to their versatile philosophical concepts...

so, of course, naruto is indeed too dark and complex (comparatively) to be as enjoyable as one piece...

i am speaking about very basic things that do not require superb comprehension skills, so i am surprised to have inadequate reactions on the reasoning i was making... one piece is (rightfully) way more popular than others, naruto including, for a reason... the reason, which i described...
dariushcc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
how come that one piece doesn't sell out of japan? I am not Japanese and I don't get them but to me one piece as an anime seems like a kids anime...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:13 am Reply with quote
That's cause it is a kids anime. In the same extent that Naruto and Bleach are kids anime.

However One Piece had wide appeal to all age groups due to its stellar writing and entertaining characters. Oda is a better manga-ka than Kishimoto and Kubo. That's basically what it boils down to.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:23 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
That's cause it is a kids anime. In the same extent that Naruto and Bleach are kids anime.

However One Piece had wide appeal to all age groups due to its stellar writing and entertaining characters. Oda is a better manga-ka than Kishimoto and Kubo. That's basically what it boils down to.

all these authors have different stories and different graphic styles, so it is hard to directly compare these and tell who is "better"...

however, you can compare One Piece to Fairy Tail, and both of these works to graphically original manga classics from 1970s, from which they take visual artistic influence...

as to kids or not kids anime, in Japan "kids" are separated into various groups... so, for example, naruto is for adult kids (again, with all of these 'war and peace' psychological transformations and philosophical concepts which do not interest younger kids at all) or even for adults... bleach is for a bit younger kids, since there is nothing of these "confusing" conceptual things which Kishimoto pushes on readers in Naruto...

Once Piece is super universal pirate treasure hunt adventures, so it does not matter if this for kids or not... it is just super entertaining for people of any ages...
CannedJam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:44 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

all these authors have different stories and different graphic styles, so it is hard to directly compare these and tell who is "better"...

however, you can compare One Piece to Fairy Tail, and both of these works to graphically original manga classics from 1970s, from which they take visual artistic influence...

as to kids or not kids anime, in Japan "kids" are separated into various groups... so, for example, naruto is for adult kids (again, with all of these 'war and peace' psychological transformations and philosophical concepts which do not interest younger kids at all) or even for adults... bleach is for a bit younger kids, since there is nothing of these "confusing" conceptual things which Kishimoto pushes on readers in Naruto...

Once Piece is super universal pirate treasure hunt adventures, so it does not matter if this for kids or not... it is just super entertaining for people of any ages...

I'm curious...how much of OP have you read? :/

Did you not read the entire 'Rescue Ace/Impel Down' arc? I'm not saying this because of what happened at the end, but because the whole thing was fairly graphic for "super universial pirate treasure hunt adventures". That's just me. People die in Naruto and Sasuke is emo. Those are the only things most people take away from Naruto. I myself am enjoying the current war, but it's not really dark and complex.

That and spoiler[ all dead Naruto characters are currently alive lololololololol]
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
CannedJam wrote:

Did you not read the entire 'Rescue Ace/Impel Down' arc? I'm not saying this because of what happened at the end, but because the whole thing was fairly graphic for "super universial pirate treasure hunt adventures". That's just me. People die in Naruto and Sasuke is emo. Those are the only things most people take away from Naruto. I myself am enjoying the current war, but it's not really dark and complex.

That and spoiler[ all dead Naruto characters are currently alive lololololololol]

at no place i said that universally appealing has anything to do with how much blood is shed on the pages... there are countless manga with no blood at all and it does not make these projects any more universally appealing than they are...

nor having painted blood or smoking personages or presence of sane sexual allusions/jokes (one piece has all of that) ever had anything to do with considering certain manga more or less for children **in Japan** (not to be confused with USA in this aspect)...

and conceptual philosophical stuff that runs the story of naruto is certainly not for kids and not for everyone in older age group either... some would prefer more meat mincing manga like in Bleach, others may prefer pirate treasure hunt adventures like in One Piece...

so because of this stuff (that by far not everyone can like), naruto is more complex to follow and yes, darker (no good outcome is seen), it has lesser "pure entertainment index"...
spoiler[and the dead are dead and return to dead]

so One Piece is more popular since it has more universal appeal... again, very simple thought... what is not understandable here?

Last edited by MaxSouth on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:04 am; edited 3 times in total
nakobass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
I'm just happy Fairy Tail is in the Top 10, it even beat Bleach. Now if we can just get the Anime to the US without being editted to death, I'll be happy.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote
why no guest post option? wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
bleach's place seem to be fair, since beyond super sharp and elegant graphic art, the concept is cliché and derivative, and the plot is blatantly weak... and the protagonist is probably the least interesting character that could have been only created... (even naruto, but not really interesting main character, seem to be better in this part...)

once piece is probably the best example of nearly pure entertainment and it's popularity is fair... since naruto is too dark and complex to be liked as universally as one piece... spoiler[even though Luffy's named brother was killed, he was not part of core cast of characters, did not participate in any of manga's events except for only these which lead to him be killed, what was the whole purpose of this personage... so once piece does not go that dark as naruto and this allows the project to be liked versatilely...]

naruto is a kid's manga

I don't know if you're statement is an excuse
but one piece have slavery in it and other "dark" etc.
it's too dark compare to naruto

looking forward to op's whole year sale,if it'll surpass the past record and Oda's income lol

While I wouldn't call Naruto complex, it is fairly dark and definitely darker than One Piece. After all, One Piece never made an argument towards morally justifying spoiler[an entire group of men, women, and children.] I do think One Piece is generally better than Naruto, but Naruto is definitely darker in comparison. But hey, both are far darker than Bleach, that's for sure.

CannedJam: spoiler[I didn't realize being a zombie who's only options are obey Kabuto or die is considered being "alive", but apparently we're adapting a looser definition of the word nowadays. Confused ]

I'm surprised Gantz sells that well in Japan, it always seemed like a title designed to appeal more to western fans.

It saddens me that Gintama can do so well there, but over here we're only getting one more volume and then that's it. We need more US Gintama fans (or rather those who actually buy the manga)!

nakobass: Considering FUNimation has the rights to the Fairy Tail anime, not to mention 4Kids is dead now and they were the only company left who edited anime (and they've licensed like 1 anime every 2 years for a a while now), your concern would make more sense if we were back in the 90's. Confused
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
Naruto, a kids manga? Even Viz had to censore content from the series. Last time I checked the series, a man was cut in two (probably a Mortal Kombat stolen Fatality) and there was discussion about how orphans had to steal food to live after their parents were killed by accident and even one of kids killed his parents' murderer. So, a kids' manga? nope, but there are kids in the series
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
Holy shit, had no idea the Gantz manga was that popular in Japan. Sweet.Mr. Green
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Gintama surpassed Bleach. Very nice. Wasn't expecting Gantz that high either, must have gotten a "boost" from the recent live-action movies I guess. Arrow
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
I expect different numbers by the end of the year. This is the first half.
FH14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
Holy crap One Piece. I knew it was extremely popular over there but DAMN.

Not entirely surprised that this list is mostly shonen, but I kinda expected more than one shoujo title on there (though if one title were to break the top 10, it would be Kimi ni Todoke judging from its sales figures lately). Expected Bleach to place higher though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
A twenty million lead? That can't be right.

Interesting prices, by the way.

dude, it's one piece.

@maxsouth, please stop stating your inaccurate opinions as if they're facts.
CannedJam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
CannedJam wrote:

at no place i said that universally appealing has anything to do with how much blood is shed on the pages... there are countless manga with no blood at all and it does not make these projects any more universally appealing than they are...

nor having painted blood or smoking personages or presence of sane sexual allusions/jokes (one piece has all of that) ever had anything to do with considering certain manga more or less for children **in Japan** (not to be confused with USA in this aspect)...

and conceptual philosophical stuff that runs the story of naruto is certainly not for kids and not for everyone in older age group either... some would prefer more meat mincing manga like in Bleach, others may prefer pirate treasure hunt adventures like in One Piece...

so because of this stuff (that by far not everyone can like), naruto is more complex to follow and yes, darker (no good outcome is seen), it has lesser "pure entertainment index"...
spoiler[and the dead are dead and return to dead]

so One Piece is more popular since it has more universal appeal... again, very simple thought... what is not understandable here?

Let me be the first to say..."lolwut". Then again, your response is my fault because I said "graphic". I should have chose a better word. Oh well, that ship has sailed.

I will say, however, that before Fishman Island OP hadn't had a "pirate treasure hunt adventure" in over a year. As I've re-read the series, I've noticed it's fairly dark. Even back to the Arlong arc. He wasn't just some Saturday morning cartoon bad guy. From murder (spoiler[ He friggin' shot Nami's mother point blank in the head]) to some extreme extortion. Growing up, I didn't see the fun treasure hunt in there. Hell, treasure was moved like a drug in that arc, not hunted for.

I'll ask again...how much One Piece have you read? :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6