• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Courtney Love Teams with TOKYOPOP for New Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRobin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Courtney Love was a creative consultant on Princess Ai. She helped put the story together. It isn't about Love, it isn't written by Love, drawn by Love or even produced by Love. She had a hand in the story concept. That's it. Manga fans who dig Ai Yazawa and DJ Milky would do well to pick this one up.

I don't know, man. Love is one of those people who inspires strong emotions in people. In my case, a strong gagging reflex. If you truly cannot stand the woman, it's a case of "Can you ignore the fact that she was involved?" and more importantly "Does it bother you that she may get some of your money?"

------RM
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, there is no way I can miss this. If its as bad as it sounds, this'll be the biggest trainwreck since Chuck Austen started writing comics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop should've had a deal with Pink or Gwen Stefanie, who would make ideal manga characters.
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Courtney Love was a creative consultant on Princess Ai. She helped put the story together. It isn't about Love, it isn't written by Love, drawn by Love or even produced by Love. She had a hand in the story concept. That's it. Manga fans who dig Ai Yazawa and DJ Milky would do well to pick this one up.

Seriously.

Well hopefully this will help her out on her court fees and send her back into rehab. But I could have sword when this was annouced a couple of months ago that it was going to be about Ms. Love? Hmm
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:29 pm Reply with quote
The woman makes me gag... I don't have a seething hatred for the woman, but she likes to play the self-proclaimed role of "the victim" far too much.

I don't think I'll be giving her any of my money, even if the royalties come down to mere pennies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kopiikat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I agree about Pink or Gwen Stefani... Even that weird Tatu anime that's coming out seems to make more sense than this.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:05 pm Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
"Does it bother you that she may get some of your money?"

That's my problem. I don't want to support her AT ALL.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Not appropriate for work environments. [EDIT - Not appropriate for this discussion, either. -C]
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone notice that this thread is a year old?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:03 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Did anyone notice that this thread is a year old?

Yeah, but it's still on the same subject. This was created when the manga was announced, and now it's been revived for the newly announced release date.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:20 am Reply with quote
I'd be stupid not to check out a manga just because Courtney Love help out with it. I haven't got anything against her and everyone deserves a second chance, even if she's done something you aren't happy with. Kurt is gone, give him a rest and her a break, since I doubt he'd want folk on her back all the time.

It's a good thing for manga as a whole since it might actually pull in some new readers who might of otherwise ignored manga altogether, especially female readers, the potentially huge sector traditional action comics have never really attracted properly. I think it's a good way for all parties involved to get some exposure, and for the artist to get more exposure than usual. Who knows, one some of the Osbournes might pick up a manga (LOL u never know since if she's on the show that's publicity for her, the author/artist and manga). Now that would be funny.

I know she may have a lot of haters and all, but so does everyone. I'm not really a fan of Bill Gates and his Windows, but I still use his OS. If Ms Love has done wrong by you, what better way for her to repent for her sins, than to help the manga cause. You never know, give the book a chance you might actually like it. You have nothing to lose by trying but a few bucks. And if you don't like it sell it or give it away, or just leave it on bus or train for someone else to read (this happens a lot with other novels on trains sometimes in the u.k, to let other people experience a new book they might not otherwise read).

Damn, some of you folk sound like the argentinians after they found out Madonna was gonna play Evita, they were well against it because of her controversial image and their strong religious beliefs. But look how it turned out, the film was a hit (even though Madonna has starred in some howlers) with them and everyone else. Now they love her for it, this backs up what I said, everyone deserves a chance to turn things round. Good luck to Ms Love, and I'll keep an open mind and check Princess Ai out. Put aside your hate and feel the manga love.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
haze-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I may have a bias against Courtney Love, but who knows? Just because she had a hand doesn't automatically but it at the bottom of the barrel. Many people I know had similar thoughts when the Wachowskis went off to write scripts for some short for the Animatrix, and look at how that turned out. Oh, they're American and will ruin it blah blah blah and so on and until I had to shove socks in their mouth to shut them up (not literally of course).

Chances of me actually picking up the manga are minimal because I am currently investing other series, but I did have money to spare outside of that, I wouldn't automatically eliminate Princess Ai as a possible purchase.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:22 am Reply with quote
Someone showed me a "sneaker" copy from Tokyopop today, and in it, it had some panels from Princess Ai.

Best way I can describe the artwork is; Think of CLAMP mixed with Ken Akamatsu. Or if Ken Akamatsu drew the Love Hina cast with Punk Fashions. Never focused on the story, so dunno about that point.
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Someone showed me a "sneaker" copy from Tokyopop today, and in it, it had some panels from Princess Ai.

Best way I can describe the artwork is; Think of CLAMP mixed with Ken Akamatsu. Or if Ken Akamatsu drew the Love Hina cast with Punk Fashions. Never focused on the story, so dunno about that point.

Ai Yazawa's art is nothing like Ken Akamatsu or CLAMP.. oi vey..
From what it sounds that it will look like all her other manga works especially NANA.. lol
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:04 am Reply with quote
lyricaldanichan wrote:

Ai Yazawa's art is nothing like Ken Akamatsu or CLAMP.. oi vey..
From what it sounds that it will look like all her other manga works especially NANA.. lol

Okay, I have the "Sneaks" in question in front of me loaned by my friend....

Princess Ai looks completely different than Paradise Kiss.

The Sneak also has a preview for Paradise Kiss before Princess Ai for comparison. Ai has more fluid and lighter line work than Kiss for starters.

Ai Yazawa only did Character Designs for the Manga according to the notes. "Created by" only lists Love, DJ Milky, and
Kujiradou. Even the Press Release says so, unless ANN made a huge editing error.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6