• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Boys to Men

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Akira. Yea, it was one of the early movies that awakened my passion for anime. I never picked up the 2009 BD, because it was too pricey for my tastes and I was ok with my DVD copy. I will double dip on this version, but I wish that for a 25yr anniversary they had done something special with the box which I would have gladly payed more for.

dtm42 wrote:
Guilty Crown got Rental? Hmm. I dropped it in disgust after eight episodes and heard from heaps of people that it only got worse in the second half.

I dropped it around episode 11 also with great disgust. Bamboo pretty much hit on many of the reasons I dropped it: a "...yawn-inducing soup of cliches...cheese...nonsense...[and] always felt like a chore to watch." I'm surprised it gets a rental rating, but then pretty visuals only go so far with me.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I never got the opportunity to watch Akira, so I'm really glad Toonami's going to air it.

The Daily Lives of High School Boys is great, I've been going through it on Hulu. It's one of those shows that works when you want to watch something fun, simple and relaxing, without a huge time commitment. The ending theme is one of the best high school boy gags I've ever seen. (My friend commented that when the boy in the bear suit slaps the girl in the school play, it could be a reference to Nicholas Cage's movie The Wicker Man, which has a scene where Nicholas Cage in a bear suit slaps a woman in the face) (find it on Youtube! It's hilarious!)

It's too bad that the manga ended unexpectedly and is unlikely to be released here. Does the art book contain the manga at all?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

I dropped it around episode 11 also with great disgust. Bamboo pretty much hit on many of the reasons I dropped it: a "...yawn-inducing soup of cliches...cheese...nonsense...[and] always felt like a chore to watch." I'm surprised it gets a rental rating, but then pretty visuals only go so far with me.

The second season is pretty fun...!
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Recently, on one of my runs, I discovered a small stretch of neighborhood in Long Beach where the leaves are actually changing color. It made me immeasurably happy. In most of the places I've seen in Southern California, leaves don't change color. They just die one day, leaving entire trees of dull, yellow-brown leaves. It's perhaps the least spectacular autumn display in the entire country, but I'm happy knowing that there are pockets of gold and red.

Meanwhile where I live in Saskatchewan it's snowing quite heavily and the icy roads are a nightmare resulting in frequent car-crashes Anime cry
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I already own the Akira Pioneer DVD, but I'm still gonna get the Blu-Ray.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Good reviews and I enjoy reading your columns Bamboo.

ANN_Bamboo wrote:

Perhaps, and I can understand for that reason you might give it a rental rating. I'm also sure that there are some that wont be bothered by its deficiencies and taking those two things into consideration it may bump it up to the rental category. However, for myself that's a lot to ask a person to wade thru. Its tough enough for a viewer to drop a show half way after devoting so much time to it, but if the creators haven't hooked you after 11 episodes...well that's not good. Unless the second half is such a great show of immeasurable goodness, which it doesn't sound like it is, then some "fun" wont be quite enough to make up for the first half and it wont entice this viewer. I can agree with how you summed up the article and I also take note of your hesitancy in recommending it:

Quote:
It's worth watching once, I suppose, if only for some of the visuals, but I can't imagine myself ever feeling the need to revisit it ever again.

To be fair, I can be a little harsh with my criticisms, but as I said previously pretty visuals can only take it so far and that may not be enough to kick something up to rental for me.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Shelf Life wrote:
It's worth watching once, I suppose, if only for some of the visuals, but I can't imagine myself ever feeling the need to revisit it ever again.
I guess that's why I couldn't get into it as I tried to stream it from Funimation's website and that just couldn't (wouldn't) deliver the visuals.

About the Shelf Obsessed pictures:
    Are those the Heroic Age dvd/BD inserts on the wall?
    What are all those non-Sentai/non-Funimation versions of Sentai and Funimation shows?

It's a cool collection, and I'm glad to see that someone else out there has some of the (unfortunately unsuccessful) Funimation pre-autographed lithographs.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

It was a tad fun but also depressing in later episodes.

On Daily Lives of High-School Boys:
I also wanted to ask what did you think of the shorts with the Literary girl segments by the river-side? Those where some of my favorite bits in the entire series just do how awkward the characters acted towards one another.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
I'm overjoyed Daily Lives got the love it, I feel, so rightly deserves.

I wish it had gotten a dub so it could reach a larger audience but as it is I'm still snatching it up, like, yesterday. It kept me laughing every time and even managed some badass and heartfelt moments.

The best I can say about Guilty Crown is that I liked it more in its jumbled bits and pieces than as a whole. Occasionally kickass music, an ambitious if familiar dystopian plot, and eye-popping visuals, it was a lot of great elements that never quite fit together as smoothly as the exuberant insanity that is Code Geass. It's a tremendously tricky balance to strike and even more difficult to maintain, so part of me has to give them props for even trying.

I think I'm well into the minority of people who watched and didn't enjoy Akira, nor can I tout it as anything resembling a masterpiece. I don't begrudge anyone who feels otherwise; I've had similar experiences with acclaimed Hollywood movies and best selling novels.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:41 am Reply with quote
pachy: The point is that Tetsuo lost it and is no longer in control of his faculties or awareness of his own being.
acejem

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:15 am Reply with quote
A bit offtopic, but did Bamboo retire "The Stream" column? Because I've seen like 3-4 "Shelf Life" and the last "Stream" was back in early Oct.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:03 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Guilty Crown got Rental? Hmm. I dropped it in disgust after eight episodes and heard from heaps of people that it only got worse in the second half.

Refreshing to open a comments sections on here, see the first post, and being able to directly empathise with it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:23 am Reply with quote
When it comes to Guilty Crown, after the New Year's break I just couldn't work up the giveadamn to watch the next episode. It might well have a spell over you, but not one that lasts much more than a week(especially after they up and killed spoiler[Dan Eagleman] - really, him coming back would be the only way I'd ever even consider watching the second season).
acejem wrote:
A bit offtopic, but did Bamboo retire "The Stream" column? Because I've seen like 3-4 "Shelf Life" and the last "Stream" was back in early Oct.
I think Zac said it's on hiatus pending a new author and possibly a new format.
Sylpher3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:35 am Reply with quote
Daily lives of high school boys is certainly a refreshing show among the abundance of “high school girls doing cute things” series. And yet, I felt the comedy skits were full of hits-and-misses (which I guess is better than most anime comedies). Some of them were hilariously funny, but unfortunately most jokes fell flat for me. It didn’t help that the better gags were in the earlier episodes than the later ones.
The concept was good, the comedic writing and execution could’ve been better at times.
kanechin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
"a show like Daily Lives of High School Boys absolutely needs to exist"

agreed, needs a 2nd season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3