• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: WATAMOTE

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In crafting a character that is, in many respects, the ultimate anti-Moe heroine, the series has also paradoxically created one of the ultimate Moe heroines, a character who can weird viewers out one moment but generate a powerful urge to give Tomoko a reassuring hug the next.

lol, yes, this very much! That's why I say anyone who thinks Watamote is not moe or anti-moe is greatly mistaken and are only looking at it from a superficial perspective. It comes back describing moe as a feeling. Look at the comments on Crunchyroll and you'll see the fans going moe over Tomoko, even as they wince, slap their forehead over her antics.

I am glad the series does have its touching moments, or its saving graces for Tomoko, if you will. The student council president Megumi when she donned the bear outfit and spoiler[hugged Tomoko] was probably the highlight
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Just as a note, since the CR subtitles consistently messed this up. In Japanese parlance, the English word "bitch" ('biichi') is actually more accurately translated as "slut" instead of, well, "bitch".
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Watamote is an odd one, a show I do find amusing but can't like. This is anime's equivalent of Wile E Coyote and the Road Runner, you know every attempt will fail, any advancement will ultimately end in a set back resulting in status quo - or worse.

As a comedy, it's good but as a show, it's pretty bad. I can understand why some Americans would like it but I can understand better why it tanked in Japan.

Quote:
Here is a girl who has very normal dreams and aspirations but is utterly unable to successfully pursue them because she has a crippling social anxiety disorder.

And here I thought it was unrealistic expectations of what high school life would be coupled with the idea that everything you need to know could be gleamed from otaku culture. If this were true, then she would be right in thinking that it is "your guys" fault that she's not popular.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Watamote is an odd one, a show I do find amusing but can't like. This is anime's equivalent of Wile E Coyote and the Road Runner, you know every attempt will fail, any advancement will ultimately end in a set back resulting in status quo - or worse.

As a comedy, it's good but as a show, it's pretty bad. I can understand why some Americans would like it but I can understand better why it tanked in Japan.

Because Japanese anime fans are very concerned with concrete and sensible plot progression.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
This would have been a perfect show if it weren't for the half-assed ending. Tomoko doesn't even learn anything or change by the final episode.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the poor disc sales, I should remind everyone that most shows in general do poorly. It's impossible for even a majority of the 140 or 150 new shows a year to be big blockbusters. Remember Chihayafuru and even more so GJ-bu did very poorly but got second seasons from boosts in manga sales. Video sales in Japan are useful for comparative analysis with other shows, not overall favorability, as in the general likes and dislikes of fans. I love Watamote, but I'm not sure I would spend ~$400 on it. Most people are content to just DVR their shows. So we have to look at some other indicators, like manga sales, merchandise, or even song concerts. The music video for the OP (not on Youtube, but you can torrent) contains concert footage and the amount of people is huge, more than the initial amount of buyers for the first volume, lol. In addition, the OP was #1 in singles sales for Aug 26 - Sep 1
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/09/05/tower-records-shinjuku-weekly-anime-song-top-10-august-26-september-1
Almost 5x as many people bought the CD than the initial video volume sales

MetalUpa1014 wrote:
This would have been a perfect show if it weren't for the half-assed ending. Tomoko doesn't even learn anything or change by the final episode.

That's because it follows the manga. But it's not accurate to say she didn't change or learn anything. In fact she did as by the end she was even more determined to change and took the initiative and tried very hard to approach Megumi, the student council president! Even before then, she tried to establish her own club.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
It was always going to tank in disc sales given the demographics who buy anime. It wasn't going to appeal to male otaku because the designs are ugly and it wouldn't appeal to female otaku since its essentially a show all about making fun of them. The people it would appeal more to are the types who don't buy anime in the first place, so it did better with the audiences who buy the much cheaper manga volumes instead.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's because it follows the manga. But it's not accurate to say she didn't change or learn anything. In fact she did as by the end she was even more determined to change and took the initiative and tried very hard to approach Megumi, the student council president! Even before then, she tried to establish her own club.

I find the manga to be way better. But as of late, Tomoko is turning into a pretty terrible person. We'll have to see where it goes from there.

Yeah, she tried. But she failed again and ran away. Kind of reminds me of my own life where I try hard at everything, but always fail. I digress though. This series deserves a proper conclusion. I hope that a season 2 will happen eventually, though that's probably not going to happen until the manga ends. I'm also curious to see what the OVA will be about next year.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Easily the standout series last season, and the best anime I've seen in a while. It was simply genius and I loved it.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I have a lot in common with Tomoko. The same anxieties, the same superiority complex overcompensating for an inferiority complex, the same rampant self-destructive behavior. And so I have a very complex relationship with this show. In one hand, I like it because it is me, but on the other hand, I hate it because it is me and I have a rather extreme case of self-loathing. It gets a little uncomfortable when I realize I'm shouting advice at Tomoko that I myself refuse to take. And that's probably the problem with the show's sales. It's uncomfortable and cutting humor, and harder to accept than some mindless boobies show.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
It was always going to tank in disc sales given the demographics who buy anime. It wasn't going to appeal to male otaku because the designs are ugly and it wouldn't appeal to female otaku since its essentially a show all about making fun of them. The people it would appeal more to are the types who don't buy anime in the first place, so it did better with the audiences who buy the much cheaper manga volumes instead.

WRT designs, they aren't ugly. In fact Tomoko is rather cute (well, except when she puckers up with makeup to try to look pretty). I'm certainly not the only one who thinks so. The CR fans and her 4chan fans and Japanese fans who make doujinshi and all her many fans on pixiv also think so. (Of course, there's also Yuu-chan if Tomoko is not to your liking)
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
I just didn't like this show. It felt forced and awkward to me, and if Karbowski is the protagonist then it will sound that way to me in the dub. This is the only show that I actually fell asleep while trying to watch. Not even Fate/Zero had (I wish that it had) that power.

The protagonist of this is about as anti-moe as L from Death Note is anti-bishounen. Since we know that L was "anti-anti-bishounen"...

To look at the picture for this review and say that it is not moe is to look at the picture for the review of Accel World and say that it does not contain a pig.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote
I agree with most of the review, although I found that the hitting too close to home thing a big positive. Almost every episode was able to make a big list of similarities I had, from my social anxiety, wanting to have friends, and then sabotaging myself or trying to avoid people despite that. While some think that it is mean to laugh at her, I found that I was actually laughing at myself, I found it a rather good experience to be able to look back through Tomoko's antics to remember what I thought at times, and how I do now.

I think Tomoko kind of fitted into the position of being so anti-moe that she actually works her way to actually being so.
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The opening song is very clever but I also really liked the closing, which is chirpy J-pop in form but is actually just as sharp in revealing Tomoko's lack of perspective and halfhearted attempts to change her circumstances as any scene in the show proper. Izumi Kitta's deliberately bad singing was a delight, too.

Totally agree with you. I also love the realism this show has, it kind of makes me a little sad though since I was like that in school (I am still actually)... at least the humor and character cast is good... although it is a big cringe worthy and sometimes a little painful to sit through.
I also give credit that the first season takes place in just the first two quarters of the year instead of a whole year like most of these shows. I wonder/hope if they'll be another season of this :3
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this show, though not to the extent of the reviewer. Even at 12 episodes it seemed to be spinning its wheels, which was probably the point, but I think they made the right choice ending it there. Still, Tomoko's a great character, both hilariously and tragically pathetic, and I loved the directorial tricks the show used, especially early on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3