• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Wolf Children BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
There were two points I got from watching this film as a single mother:

Hosoda loves his mom but has no idea who she is as a woman.

Hosoda is not a parent.

Hana is an inhuman perfect mother all the time, every time. She's completely unrelatable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I think the story is about a mother told through the eyes of a child. It isn't so much the story about Hana as Hana but as Hana as a mother.

I found that odd because Yuki-as-narrator doesn't really have that much to say, and Yuki as a character in the film has her high-points with other children (like that one boy) and not her mother. Young Yuki's story is about struggling with the secret that makes her different from others and finally managing to fully trust someone else outside her family. Her mother isn't an important figure at all in this story.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote

Does that limit Hana's characterization a bit, well yes. But I think narrowing the focus works for a short film. And I think narrowing that focus made the film thematically stronger, at least for me.

Having seen the movie twice and firmly made up my mind, I disagree. My opinion is as valid as yours, so the review is perfectly valid. So maybe that means...

Quote:
Agreed, honestly it seems to me that Hope completely missed the thematic point of the movie.

...we can throw this out and just agree that it's a difference of opinion? "You just don't get it" is a super-tired dismissal of thoughtful discussion that really gets annoying to see over and over. No one wants to say "I disagree, because _____." It's always gotta be "This review is WRONG because ______. This is what happens when DA REVIEWERS GET IT WRONG!"

And then it just becomes a battle to justify having an opinion instead of talking about the work itself, which would actually be productive. Would like to head that off at the pass early this time.

EDIT:

octopodpie wrote:

Hosoda is not a parent.

~HE IS NOW~! Very Happy He had a kid like, right after the movie came out.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

Hosoda is not a parent.

~HE IS NOW~! Very Happy He had a kid like, right after the movie came out.

Maybe in some years we can look forward to another Hosoda movie about parenthood which benefits from an increased perspective.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
After watching this movie with a friend, we bounced off about the concepts of the film, she observed something I overlooked at the time and that the film paralleled how a new mothers life slowly shifts focusing on taking care of herself and shifting focus as the kids grow the situation has more weight given into helping the kids become there own individuals.

The movie similarly shifts focus from Hana towards both Ame and Yuki as they become mature enough to become more than just "the kids", as such Hana goes out of focus and is split for time between the two siblings.

spoiler[An issue is in the nature that the movie wanted to pretty much tell the most extreme of possibilities of the titled Wolf Children with one choosing to live as a normal human, and the other choosing to go into the wild.
The final arc suffers due to such a change as you have the initial main character of Hana fading to the background and not enough time to develop the two coming of age stories in a method proper.]
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

I found that odd because Yuki-as-narrator doesn't really have that much to say, and Yuki as a character in the film has her high-points with other children (like that one boy) and not her mother. Young Yuki's story is about struggling with the secret that makes her different from others and finally managing to fully trust someone else outside her family. Her mother isn't an important figure at all in this story.

But it was Hana who gave Yuki & Ame the freedom to discover who they wanted to be. I think that was what Yuki was telling us through her story.

JesuOtaku wrote:

...we can throw this out and just agree that it's a difference of opinion?

I think our feelings for the film are a difference of opinion and yes we obviously feel differently about what the film should have focused on.

But in my views your review focused on what you wanted the film to do not what Hosoda was actually trying to say with his film. So in my views yes you didn't get the thematic message Hosoda was going for. Anyways I feel your disappointment is based on what you wanted the film to be not what it actually was trying to be. And I am not saying that isn't a valid way to approach a review or that I haven't been disappointed in other things for similar reasons but I do think it is a shame that only one critic's review will grade this film on ANN. I don't think it is wrong that you yourself don't like the film as much as I did.

Anyways Of course film interpretation is not a science and I fully admit my interpretation is not the only truth but when I say you didn't get the thematic message of the film I do feel that based on what you wrote on your review.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This is what happens when reviews are based on only one person's opinions.

So every single review ever written, then.

I had a lot of issues with Wolf Children myself, but most of them boiled down to Hana - she isn't a character, she's SUPERMOM, unflappable in all situations, calm in every crisis, handling everything life throws at her with kindness and patience, which isn't realistic at all and took me right out of the film.

One scene where she didn't react like World's Greatest Mom or maybe made one parenting mistake or lost her temper or something that real people do would've gone a very long way toward humanizing her and giving the film the element of slight realism it desperately needed.

That was the main problem I had with Summer Wars, the Great Grandmother is portrayed as this uber idealized person who everyone is supposed to look up to. She's the person who basically saves Japan, and spoiler[Love Machine knows this so kills her]. The problem is that when Hosada ask us to idolize these peoples the point he is trying to make is meaningless. You cant present something as perfect and tell us thats how we should live. A character whose sole existant is to spout words of wisdom is just a character who exist to prop up another character. The character is nothing more than an accessory for some more interesting person.

Zac wrote:

So every single review ever written, then.

Right but there is a difference when a series/film grade is based on only ONE review and when you are looking at it from aggregate review sites, that was the point I was making.

So your complaint is that ANN isnt metacritic?

The main use for Metacritic is in fandom wars. Stuff like movies and games are so heavily hyped that its hard to take aggregate review sites seriously because of it. They are also completely useless for niche titles because half the reviews are going to be by guys who dont like the genre, and dont understand what the game is even going for. See all the Project X Zone reviews that complain about how it lacks classes and doesnt play like the Fire Emblem franchise (Project X Zone was based on the Super Robot Wars series).

"Ryu and Ken are promoted from Punchmen to Paladins and now have a horse and attacks with spears"
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The problem is that when Hosada ask us to idolize these peoples the point he is trying to make is meaningless. You can't present something as perfect and tell us thats how we should live. A character whose sole existant is to spout words of wisdom is just a character who exist to prop up another character. The character is nothing more than an accessory for some more interesting person.

There were interesting people in Summer Wars?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

So your complaint is that ANN isnt metacritic?

No but in some cases it would help if there was more than one review for a series/movie to give a more balanced perspective on the grade. That might not be feasible with the number of reviewers and the number of things that need to be reviewed

Anyways it wasn't a complaint, I am just saying it is a shame that this movie's grade is based on only one person's opinion. And when you have different people reviewing different titles the grading system is also not entirely consistent.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
The problem is that when Hosada ask us to idolize these peoples the point he is trying to make is meaningless. You can't present something as perfect and tell us thats how we should live. A character whose sole existant is to spout words of wisdom is just a character who exist to prop up another character. The character is nothing more than an accessory for some more interesting person.

There were interesting people in Summer Wars?

The guy who was evil because he lived in the US was interesting but the rest of the cast was basically just mouthpieces for Hosada to talk about how awesome Feudal Japan was.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I would point out that we do also have a second review of the movie on this site, one that was done last year when the subbed form of the movie was first hitting the convention circuit.

I watched this myself earlier in the week and thought it was very good; I can easily see why it has won acclaim, and I especially liked the scene where spoiler[Yuki reveals her true nature to the boy]. However, my reaction to the movie is more in line with Hope and Zac's than Andrew's. While I felt the movie did a great job of growing Yuki and Ame as characters, I also came away feeling that Hana was less a character than a storytelling device and I walked away a bit disappointed that the story never explored her more (for all that she was the focal point character for much of the movie).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lizardking461

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

One scene where she didn't react like World's Greatest Mom or maybe made one parenting mistake or lost her temper or something that real people do would've gone a very long way toward humanizing her and giving the film the element of slight realism it desperately needed.

Um, there are several scenes exactly like that...

All I get from this thread is 'character doesn't match personal experience = completely unrealistic'.

Last edited by lizardking461 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I liked the Ame side of the story, because it was about Hana feeling like she had no idea how to help him or do the right things for him, but he ultimately finds his way.

There's this pervasive idea that parents are supposed to know everything they need to do for their kids, and mothers in particular. Sure, it could have been hammered home with more concrete "mistakes", but I liked the message that it's okay to not have all the answers.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I would point out that we do also have a second review of the movie on this site, one that was done last year when the subbed form of the movie was first hitting the convention circuit.

Thank you, I did not realize that, my mistake then about the number of reviews.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
The end of the film just didn't work for me in several ways. spoiler[I can assume people might gossip about her child going missing and how she doesn't even inform anyone, and...Ame's like what, a mile or two from his mother? Letting a child GO, and letting them go off within the same area just aren't the same thing to me.] I am glad to read a review that's not endless gushing through tears.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7