• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NISA Adds Nyaruko: Crawling With Love! Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Kebble wrote:
I'm a little shocked a company like Sentai didn't jump on this a year ago, seeing how all the series ever needed was a lincense and some english subtitles.

Of course, it was equally likely for it to receive an English dub of inconsistent quality if Sentai had licensed it. Apparently Funimation didn't think it was worth their time either.

In any case, any interest I may have had in this show has completely vanished, as with all other NISA licenses before it.

Last edited by Panzer Vor on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm not super jazzed about this. I saw the title to completion and it was a'ight, I guess, but I feel no need to watch it again. Which, ordinarily, wouldn't be a problem but I've got that pesky vow of mine to buy a copy of every Premium Edition title that NISA puts out...
Who would know that you didn't buy every PE from NISA? How would anyone on here know that you actually did buy every NISA PE?
ArmyofDarkness wrote:
With who and why would you want to replace...Rei Kugimiya?
I saw all of Fullmetal Alchemist subbed and Kugimiya's voice still grates on me, that would be the why. The whom would be darn near anyone else.
ArmyofDarkness wrote:
Having to require a dub in your Anime to get enjoyment out of it is crazy.
For me, there are many anime series that I don't enjoy based on their plot/characters/writing/art alone. Sometimes a sub track can give the show the "edge" or the "gestalt" it needs to be great despite that IMO but that is extremely rare. I find it to be an extremely common occurrence with dubs. Even when the show's art/characters/plot/writing is good enough IMO that I'd consider it to be good on those traits alone I find that a dub furthers my enjoyment of the series.

There is such a thing as a weak dub or a bad dub-generally they have Studiopolis or Bang/Zoom labeling-but I've found many more Japanese dubs that I would say are weak or flat-out bad.
ArmyofDarkness wrote:
...I REALLY like that it's a straight BD release too!
I was unaware that blu-ray releases had sexual orientation Laughing
FeralMemories

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
ArmyofDarkness wrote:
MadMan400096 wrote:
This was a show that I've been interested in for a while. Looks like I'll be watching on Crunchyroll. No sense buying a sub-only set when the subs are legally available for free online. Figures it landed in the hands of the sub-only jail wardens. Unless they start dubbing, I ain't buying.

uhhg, seriously? You dub fans are beyond me. With who and why would you want to replace Kana Asumi and Rei Kugimiya? Kana Asumi breaths life into that role, no one could possibly begin to match her sheer energy and personality. Having to require a dub in your Anime to get enjoyment out of it is crazy.

I think this is a great acquisition, I REALLY like that it's a straight BD release too! Finally beginning to see DVDs fade out into the past where they belong. Can't wait to pick up a copy of this.

Okay, I never said I was gonna ignore this series just because it's not dubbed. I am gonna watch it. I just feel it to be unnecessary to shell out $50-70 for a DVD set without a dub, especially when it's already legally available online for free, or for a small fee that includes a but load of other anime. Also, while I do like having high quality video, it does nothing to make or break my enjoyment of a particular release. Also, preferring dubs isn't crazy. The great Miyazaki has said he wants his films to be seen, not read, and he has a point. Subtitles can distract from enjoying the visuals of a show.

By the way, DVDs aren't going anywhere any time soon. Most computers still don't have Blu-ray capabilities, and with them being even more ubiquitous with home entertainment than VHS was back in the day.

Let me just inform you right now: Nyaruko-san is NOT a show that will work well with a dub. First of all, Miyazaki's films are heavily reliant on their animation and it's one of their selling points. Nyaruko-san is a comedy. A TON of it's jokes and references have the potential to be lost in translation. Even WITH the original sub, most people were lost on some of the jokes because it references some pretty obscure japanese things. There's a whole website that has detailed information on every single episode of Nyaruko-san pointing out what's a reference and where it came from.
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
was there any meaning behind the fork stabbing gag? never understood, why a fork?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
FeralMemories wrote:
Let me just inform you right now: Nyaruko-san is NOT a show that will work well with a dub. Nyaruko-san is a comedy. A TON of it's jokes and references have the potential to be lost in translation. Even WITH the original sub, most people were lost on some of the jokes because it references some pretty obscure japanese things. There's a whole website that has detailed information on every single episode of Nyaruko-san pointing out what's a reference and where it came from.
"When a joke is explained, it isn't funny". When a joke requires an entire website to explain it then it is just being conveyed incorrectly, there's no two ways about it.

This strikes me as a case FOR a dub. As if nothing else, the dub would make the explanation of the "verbatim" comedy less tedious as translators' notes could appear on-screen without the subs, making them easier to read without pausing (as the viewer wouldn't also have to read the subs). The dub could also-gasp-adapt the lines so that they do work in English (yes, I realize that such a concept is like water to the sub-purists' calcium) which it might as well since the "verbatim" jokes aren't really working in the subs, as you mentioned.
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
no way! if you are rewriting jokes entirely you are no better than NISA'S game translations(forced). Having to completely rewrite a shows jokes to make it work just begs why did you get it in the first place.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I can only recommend dub only fans to learn to read English subtitles(unless they have a medical disability). One glance at this show and no company would ever waste their money dubbing it. Fact proven since NIS America has the license. I think it would be worth their time to dub the few shows that became popular that they have though. Which would be Toradora, Bunny Drop, and anohana. Company's wont dub any show just cause its your favorite folks. It needs to make profit and dub only fans don't seem to understand how impossible it would be for shows like these to make any money. All three of these shows sold out of their premium's very fast. They're easily the most popular and less risky shows for NIS America to dub. Toradora being the most popular and the other two being very popular and having low episode counts. We should try to get NIS America to dub these shows. If those three shows got dubbed premium edition's I would double dip. How about you guys?
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
like water to the sub-purists' calcium

Calcium and the other alkaline earth metals don't react nearly as dramatically as, say, potassium when exposed to water, but that's neither here nor there.
Zemnort

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Looks interesting to say the least, might pick it up :)
rydia251

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Kebble wrote:
If this was just another raunchy self-proclaimed "comedy" I wouldn't be interested, but Nyaruko was surprisingly funny during its twelve episode run and landed some amusing parodies. $65 isn't exactly in my price range, but considering its a bluray, I might be willing to spend a little extra since the series was treated with respect in that regard. I'm a little shocked a company like Sentai didn't jump on this a year ago, seeing how all the series ever needed was a lincense and some english subtitles.

NISA BD only $65 MSRP releases will almost always be $48 on RightStuf and $52 on the NISA store.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Sigh and again they pick up something good but why to much green for subbed only
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh and again they pick up something good but why to much green for subbed only

Which of your average dub releases comes with hardcover art books featuring interviews, character sketches, anime art, all in full color along w/ sturdy, high quality & beautiful art boxes? Lets not forget that NISA often has the original Japanese art for their covers, which is in 999/1000 cases infinitely better looking than our domestic releases.

You get all this for the same price as you would've gotten a 12-episode, poorly dubbed, barebones release. Shocked

To be honest, i would've still gotten all of my NISA sets even if they bumped up their prices to near-AniplexUSA level. Quality > quantity, at least in my mind.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm not super jazzed about this. I saw the title to completion and it was a'ight, I guess, but I feel no need to watch it again. Which, ordinarily, wouldn't be a problem but I've got that pesky vow of mine to buy a copy of every Premium Edition title that NISA puts out...

I can certainly see that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. Humor is highly subjective after all. I, however, am very excited for this. NISA has really been knocking it out of the park with a lot of their recent acquisitions. I might have to make a push to buy the rest of the sets I haven't yet just so I don't fall too far behind.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
like water to the sub-purists' calcium

Calcium and the other alkaline earth metals don't react nearly as dramatically as, say, potassium when exposed to water, but that's neither here nor there.
That was why I went with calcium in the first place. Potassium's reaction is more sudden and violent than I was going for with the comparison.
ArmyofDarkness wrote:

no way! if you are rewriting jokes entirely you are no better than NISA'S game translations(forced). Having to completely rewrite a shows jokes to make it work just begs why did you get it in the first place.
When it comes to conveying Japanese humor, Is it better to convey a translation that is less accurate but is funny on its own or something that is more accurate but requires an entire website to explain to the viewer why he should be laughing at it?

Again, the dub could present the jokes verbatim from the Japanese and just have translation notes appear on-screen. IMO having both subtitles and translation notes on screen simultaneously leads to too much of the image being smothered by text.
ZorinBlitz wrote:
It needs to make profit and dub only fans don't seem to understand how impossible it would be for shows like these to make any money.
I believe that dub fans understand that it is impossible for NISA to receive their money until they dub their releases. Why would I pay what Funi & Sentai charge for a dual-language release for a sub-only release, especially when I can see the show on Crunchyroll for essentially free? Others have asked that and there's still no compelling answer that I've seen for it. BD has better quality, sure, but I saw Arakawa under the Bridge on NISA BD and it really wasn't ~$50 better than what I saw on Crunchy.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
The only thing wrong with this announcement is it didn't say "Oh yeah, and we've got the 'W' season, too."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4