• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Storia Della Arcana Famiglia Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
After her heinous job on umineko when they cry. who in the *^%$^ thought it was a good idea to give chiki kon another visual novel. it says something when your opening is miles better then your show. though that is because chiki did not touch it most likely and instead they got someone who had an idea of what a good job is.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
It is amazing what you will watch, for the silliest of reasons just because nothing else is on.
Like others, I thought Felicia's character design was cute.
That was it.
This joins Photo Kano in shows that I somehow made it through, but can not in any means justify.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Why do Sentai even dub these shows? I mean, Chuu2 is way more popular yet it's getting a sub only
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you are looking for a mob story, romance, or any of the other things this could have been, look elsewhere.

Hmm, why I am getting the sudden urge to re-watch Baccano!? Very Happy
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
Why did they even bother to license this show? It was not good at all. I could never get over the idiocy of episode 1, but I was through by episode 3. They even took the time to dub it when other, more deserving shows, can't even get a dub. Definitely will not be looking at this release twice on the shelves lol.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
Eh I actually like it. If you view it more as slice of life its pretty fun. Though I will admit they kind of threw out a little amount of plot here and there, but never anything coherent.

Also I will take Sentai faults over the butchery of Funimation. No company that will exist till the end up time will ever be able to top Funimation horrendous dubbing with things like Onee-sama being translated as Sissy. I will take mispronunciation over mistranslation any day.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:
If you are looking for a mob story, romance, or any of the other things this could have been, look elsewhere.

I'm not sure as Baccano! wasn't really any of those things. It was, however, well dubbed.
Quote:
If it matters, Campione's ADR director also works for FUNimation.
I don't think that it matters as Jason Grundy was an ADVer first. Humorously I think that he's used ADV's methodologies to improve Funimation dubs, but I'd have to check the old That Anime Show podcasts to be sure that he was the ex-ADV engineer mentioned.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
Ah, another case of 'hello we are going to butcher an otome game which is really good but we don't care about you fans but we just had to adapt it into an anime so take it or leave it'. Seriously, when they adapt precious otome games which I love into anime and I see them butchered like this, it butchers my heart too. Like, STAY AWAY FROM IT IF YOU'RE GONNA MAKE IT THIS BAD! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

And why Sentai even bothered to pick up this show and even dub it I'll never understand. Yet good anime like Kuroko no Basuke or Free! remain unlicensed. I'd rather have them than this piece of crap.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
I don't mind Sentai dubs in general. There are a couple stinkers, but most are decent enough, some better than others, and quite a few are excellent. I do agree that names should be pronounced consistently, and as carefully as possible without going overboard (I personally find the R/L tongue rolling to sound a bit jarring), but it wouldn't ruin a whole show for me. If the voice actors bring lots of character to their roles, and the script makes sense/true to the spirit of the original work, then it's good enough for me. Sentai actually outdubbed FUNimation last year (they dubbed 46 anime, FUNi dubbed 36), and that's not bad news for the industry. At least they have a greater variety of directors now, instead of using Steven Foster for everything, although even he's put together some decent dubs (Princess Resurrection, Grave of the Fireflies). Chris Ayres and Janice Williams appear to be the best though IMO.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Why do Sentai even dub these shows? I mean, Chuu2 is way more popular yet it's getting a sub only

I love when people make blanket statements liks this. First of all, show me your evidence of this. And no, the opinions of your "anime club" or anectdotal evidence doesn't count.

Also, a lot more factors go into the decision on dubbing a show than just how many people like it.

Echo_City wrote:

I do wonder why Sentai feels the need to dub at break-neck speed. It has been said that they have "dubbed entire shows in the time that it takes Funimation to dub a single episode", which explains a great deal, and now it is going 'round that Sentai has already dubbed From the New World, even though the show is (or was, at the time of the rumor's inception) 2 months away from release. If that dub isn't perfect then I'll be peeved as they will have had more than ample time to make it the greatest dub ever. Mad

You do realize you can't just finish a dub on Monday and ship the product to stores on Tuesday, right? It's normal for a dub to be completed two to three months ahead of time. As you yourself well know, it's quite common for anime releases to ship four to six weeks ahead of street date. This allows for ample time in case there are any production delays. (See Gatchaman and several other Sentai releases that were delayed but still shipped by their initial street date.)

Also, it can take a couple weeks to get the discs encoded and have test discs created. Then the discs have to have quality control perfromed and be tested for any issues. It can then take another week or two to get replication started and at least several days for discs to be packaged and shipped to Right Stuf, where they are then shipped to other retailers as well. It may actually take a bit more time in the case of Sentai as they use one replicator for their blurays and another for DVDs (which is probably the biggest reasont they won't be doing combopacks anytime soon.)

It's also become increasingly common for companies like Sentai and Funimation to stream the dubbed episodes online, or on cable VOD, before the DVD's and blurays ship.

I would be far more concerned if they weren't completed with a dub two months ahead of time, as it would leave almost no time to correct any issues before the discs go to replication. Not to mention, it could possibly lead to a much higher number of product delays.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:12 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Source?

ANN has reported that both seasons will get home video releases but said nothing about the releases being sub-only.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Source?

ANN has reported that both seasons will get home video releases but said nothing about the releases being sub-only.

http://sentaifilmworks.tumblr.com/post/74836431481/sentai-filmworks-may-2014-release-schedule
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:08 am Reply with quote
^
Thanks for the link. Pity Chuunibyou isn't getting a dub, it deserves one.

Edit: whoops, looked at the wrong show. Fixed.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:53 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure as Baccano! wasn't really any of those things. It was, however, well dubbed.

Well, I'd mostly be watching the final three episodes, which are all about spoiler[Claire and Chane], so...and it may not be a traditional mob story, but everyone in it is a gangster.
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I agree that this anime doesn't have any plot or interesting thing to watch. Still, I don't know how do I watch all entrie series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3