• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Horrible Girlfriends

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
i don't know, Yuno is a good girl to me. spoiler[It was a game, she was forced to kill or be kill. After she became a God, she earned the right to kill people since she was a higher being. Note: human kill other living being because we think we have the right to do so]

spoiler[laugh at people who response my statement seriously.]
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
Yuno's not overrated as a Yandere - she defines it pretty much xD More to the point Yuno has very good reason's to act the way she does, in that her mentality is a product of her environment - that's why she's more interesting than a lot of other Yandere's. That and the lengths she's willing to go for her love...luckily in that case the other party's willing xD

With that said I find Yandere's quite entertaining, so it's a bit of a pain to be objective on this issue :p

As i said For queen not for yandere it's obvious she fits the bill but she's a bit deeper then that considering spoiler[the final chapter reveal.]Shion just appears oldschool to me and she's what i think of anytime i think of Yandere's, that and her laugh and creepy looks. Embarassed But yeah, for horrible girlfriends i don't think she should be #1 yuno's got her reasons.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I like CG. I'm... not quite as enthused about CG that tries to ape cel animation, but that's not as much from a design perspective. It just looks... odd when the characters move, and Arpeggio is a good example there. It looks OK, but there's just something there, something odd about it that my mind just won't let go.

It's just the characters too. Lands, buildings and ships all look great, and battle sequences just as much.
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, is Saeki up so high because of what she does in the manga? From what I can remember of the anime, she wasn't "horrible" in the sense that Yuno and Misa-- she just seemed incredibly disturbed because spoiler[she had no problem that Takao stole her gym clothes- just that he didn't tell her about it. And was way too accepting of the things that he's done.] From what I understand, she really does go balls out INSANE in the manga.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Lynxikat wrote:
Out of curiosity, is Saeki up so high because of what she does in the manga? From what I can remember of the anime, she wasn't "horrible" in the sense that Yuno and Misa-- she just seemed incredibly disturbed because spoiler[she had no problem that Takao stole her gym clothes- just that he didn't tell her about it. And was way too accepting of the things that he's done.] From what I understand, she really does go balls out INSANE in the manga.

Still, a higher level then Nakamura, Sawa ..ever?
She's a pion in comparison.

Last edited by StormVanguard on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
This might be a bit tentative, but I consider Black Lagoon's Revy to be a bit of a yandere towards Rock, and one girl Rock would do well not to get his name on her hit list.
Beldarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen very many CG series or movies, but I have to admit I'm already fangirling Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary for the amazing CG in the trailers so far. Not to mention I actually REALLY like the new character designs, especially Capricorn Shura and Gemini Saga.

I also loved Final Fantasy VII Advent Children - I own the DVD of this movie and the CGI looks really good in my opinion.

As for series that mix CGI with standard animation, I have a soft spot for Initial D: 4th Stage. I've been a fan of the Initial D franchise for years. ...The later OVAs of Future GPX Cyber Formula also appear to utilize some CGI for the cyber machines.

PS. And psycho girlfriends? :\ Well... Ren Sohma is a REALLY horrible example. She's even jealous of her own child. Also, Mayo Sakaki and Yui Hongo also count.

Last edited by Beldarius on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
This might be a bit tentative, but I consider Black Lagoon's Revy to be a bit of a yandere towards Rock, and one girl Rock would do well not to get his name on her hit list.

I believe the word you're looking for is yangire and Roberta fits that definition much better.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
I had difficulty answering the poll question because while I have nothing against CG as an animation technique, I hate anime series done entirely in CG because CG in Japan, for whatever reason, tends to be completely dreadful.
QFT.
Japanese CG is too often woeful even at the best of times and to watch an entire series made of it would be an "eyecrime".

I saw the 100% CG incarnations of Appleseed and that CG was awful. It was like a long PS2 cutscene (it almost made QuestWorld look good). Even the most strident apologist of full-CG anime would sheepishly concede when charged with defending it. Not even the Sophists of Antiquity could offer up a defense of that. It wasn't even better than the horrible Star Wars/superhero American all-CG shows and those do not set the bar very high at all.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Lynxikat wrote:

It heavily influenced her position on The List and wipes away any redeeming qualities she might of had before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Ack, I kinda wish I didn't click to read the column. I'm currently watching Welcome to the NHK, still only on episode 7 or 8, so seeing Misaki at #7 was disheartening.

StormVanguard wrote:
Lynxikat wrote:

Still, a higher level then Nakamura, Sawa ..ever?
She's a pion in comparison.

I'm a bit confused by the semantics... Who's a pion in comparison to who, StormVanguard-- Saeki in comparison to Nakamura, or Nakamura in comparison to Saeki?

Anyway, I really have to echo Lynxikat's sentiments here. From what the anime has shown thus far (and perhaps ever will, since a second season may never happen Sad), Saeki seemed to be... alright? I can't remember everything that happened on the mountain, but I have the feeling that what she expressed there was reasonable (or at least understandable) given the circumstances. "Saeki's colors really get to show through" at the mountain, really? Anime-wise, Nakamura was definitively the more "terrible girlfriend," even if she wasn't technically acknowledged as such. As far as the events in the clubhouse are concerned, they were only clearly demonstrated in the manga, but even considering that, I think the cumulative damage Nakamura has inflicted upon Katsuga was still worse.

Last edited by Animerican14 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I believe the word you're looking for is yangire and Roberta fits that definition much better.
Looking at the Wiki definitions for both I still feel yandere fits better for Revy, tough I agree with Roberta being the yangire. Wink
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind most western CG animation, but my biggest draw to Japanese animation is the 2D art-style. I hate seeing more CG crap replacing it and I especially hate it when they try to mix both styles. Or do something like the Berserk movies... it just looks absolutely abysmal. Crying or Very sad
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
wouldn't every woman from black lagoon qualify for this list
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
wouldn't every woman from black lagoon qualify for this list
Only if they were someone's girlfriend, or at least considered themselves as someone's girlfriend, I would guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6