• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:57 am Reply with quote
The concept of spoiler[magic] is also kinda interesting in this show. I'm not sold on any of the spoiler[new characters] though. Still, I think it has potential in this fantasy world they are living in. I'm expecting more flashbacks soon and with that, hopefully more backgrounds behind their world setting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Linca, Wilbel and Nio] all have a whole game's worth of backstory which the anime may or may not compensate for. If it doesn't then spoiler[Wilbel and Nio] especially will seem like cardboard cutouts. spoiler[Linca] should be ok because I missed her story in the previous game and got through just fine.

Actual spellcasters in the Atelier series are really rare. While there's still the jrpg thing of fighters able to do mage-like effects, and a few fairies that I don't count, I can only think of 3 actually spellcasters in the whole franchise. Magic in the atelier series is specifically "something from nothing", whereas things like alchemy cover "something from something practically unrelated" (although not as wacky as Ar Tonelico's crafting, where the crafting recipes make absolutely no sense and are awesome for it)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

The artwork of the ruins looked really pretty, and I feel like mentioning the fight, something about the mix of CG and usual animation.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[The water story seems to be continuing.
It's attached to the Ruins, so that's always fun.
Escha is always so excitable.
She and Logy make a good, balanced team.
Well, at least now they aren't alone on their adventures.
Those two girls/witches are a nice addition to the duo.
Fun in the ruins was interesting to watch.
New characters kept popping up.
I like the way they solve things.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I think I might be suffering from "grass is greener" syndrome. While I normally find deployments of romantic relationships tedious, poorly thought out, and unconvincing in anime, this is the rare show that I would actually welcome a growing attraction between the two leads (which I'm pretty sure doesn't happen, though I haven't played the game). Somehow, it doesn't feel contrived or "fated" or any of the typical nonsense that bothers me.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
The action in this show is okay I guess but some reason, I can't really grasp with it. I think it works best so far when it settles with the SOL mood.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Ep3 -

The fight was... ok. I like how you got to see it's cool special attacks in a natural-seeming way, even if the humans' attacks seemed far less natural. I can picture that they struggled a little with how to handle the fight, but they knew spoiler[full how well ho end it. Overpowered Omega Craft to the face.]

I think the art took a bit of a dip but it was still a fine enough episode. We get an extremely important world-building bit that spoiler[no matter how much they do, the water problem will keep happening. It really helps the somber atmosphere of this world.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

That picture at the end was really pretty. The episode is nice too, although I get a little feeling that I am missing certain references to earlier games, but doubt it is a deal breaker. And how cute are those little animal people? Got a couple laughs over the money in eyes.
Niello

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I get a little feeling that I am missing certain references to earlier games, but doubt it is a deal breaker.

From what I know for playing Atelier Iris which is pretty relevant to this episode is the barrels. Basically, in the games there are usually barrels scattered around in which the characters from your party shout "Barrel!" when you tried to interact with it. Nothing significant, just a nice little touch.

I haven't played a Gust game in a long time so I have no idea about references to Ayesha either. But something else to note is the ending song, the singer (Haruka Shimotsuki) have sang a good number of Atelier theme songs.

That's all I know.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
The latest episode felt really slow for me. I had to check the clock several times. The animal parts were kinda funny I guess but didn't catch my attention too much.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Whew, that was close, but I have recovered from the diabetic shock of mini-Escha.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Escha is just hopeless when it comes to certain things.
This time it's a more relaxed episode.
Well, at least those tspoiler[wo witches joined them more permanently.]
spoiler[Escha's tail got a lot of attention] ^^
It is a fun and interesting thing too.
spoiler[Escha's childhood] got some attention too.
It would be fun to learn more about spoiler[her mother].
Fun episode!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Ep 04 was a lot of fun for me as well. I am really enjoying Wilbel's character. She's a trouble-maker in the most likable way and you can't go wrong with that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Kewt eppie. 'Cept Logy made me mad: spoiler[write Escha's reports for her, ya big lug!] Geez, how can you be mean to a chick with a moveable tail???
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
He's right though. Anime hyper If she doesn't write them, she'll never learn how to.

That being said, reports suck. I hate them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6