• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ping Pong/Kick-Heart's Yuasa Directs Adventure Time Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawkmoth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:52 am Reply with quote
I was thinking 'Oh, this is fairly straightforward' until the song kicked in and then I remembered 'I love Yuasa'.

And yeah, I'm one of the lazy bums that hasn't watched Adventure Time yet. Although the last time I tried to find it, it wasn't on the UK Cartoon Network. Has that changed?
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote
Adventure Time is a wonderful, beautiful creative show & I'm glad they got a creative guy like YUASA to guest direct an ep!

Also people complaining about AT's style.... You do realize part of what makes animation great is visual diversity right? Something anime severly lacks alot of the time.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
I've seen bits and pieces of a lot of Adventure Time episodes, and compared to those, the dialog in this clip seemed super-dry. Not a complaint, but something I noticed. It of course retained some of that absurdist bent, like the kid asking about caterpillars playing football.

I really liked the original pilot episode Nickelodeon aired many years ago. When the show became a full series on Cartoon Network... I don't know, it always felt "lesser." Like everything was an attempt to recapture that pilot, made right on the verge of the age of social media and internet clamor. I couldn't really get into it and all the Tumblr/Twitter/Reddit nonsense doesn't help. I guess a fair shake is in order one of these days, but outside of its rabid fanbase, this has never seemed like a priority viewing.
neshru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
This is interesting. A Japanese anime director does "Adventure Time." It'll be interesting to see what this Yuasa guy does with this episode.

Well, Yuasa is as far from stereotypical anime as it gets. He really has a style of his own, which is probably why he was called to do this thing.
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
Could be worth noting that it's not the first time he animates and directs for a non-japanese cartoon as he did the same for special episode of WAKFU back in 2010.
GYRAX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
It's good to see Yuasa-sensei doing bigger and bigger things. Anime smile
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
I never really got into "Adventure Time",but I might watch this because of Yuasa's presence.Still,this doesn't look a lot like him.
Regardless of my feelings about this episode,I am happy that this year is busy for Yuasa and that he will get more exposure.
kurotsuki wrote:
Could be worth noting that it's not the first time he animates and directs for a non-japanese cartoon as he did the same for special episode of WAKFU back in 2010.

Eunyoung Choi directed that,Yuasa merely provided character designs.
Crystal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

v1cious wrote:
I can't believe nothing by him has been released in the US yet. Funimation is leaving money on the table.

I REALLY doubt his stuff would sell in the American market. Usually those kinda series bomb HARD here because they're not long running action kids shows. Ain't exactly hard to see why companies pass on his stuff given the tastes of the American anime market.

Yeah, I think this is the 2nd time this month someone claimed that FUNimation "handled Tatami Galaxy" horribly. Dude, they didn't give it a home video because not enough people watched their stream of it! People should be watching their stream of Ping Pong NOW if they want it to get a home video (and introducing it to others). I'm still meaning to watch more Tatami Galaxy (like 4 episodes in) but I can't watch an episode in a half-hour, what with pausing the lead's fast-talking.

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Also people complaining about AT's style.... You do realize part of what makes animation great is visual diversity right? Something anime severly lacks alot of the time.

Really? Because the majority of American cartoons look flat (without the detail to things like hair or creases in clothing) and have circles with dots for eyes (or just dots like Adventure Time or Doug). I find this "all anime looks the same" claim annoying when most American cartoons look flat, as if it's too much to ask for characters that don't look flat. I mean, Korra doesn't look flat, but does it have to look like anime not to look flat? I mean, some superhero shows don't (and Disney movies) but I get bored of watching the same characters (i.e. Batman) over and over again.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Better than amnything Japan could make. Ruined by an anime director that thinks the aesthetics of his bullshit makea him qualified to direct this....who knows, maybe he caught a reference to his work or somerhing. If other directora from japan do episodes itd be alright ... that clip sucked
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I never really got into "Adventure Time",but I might watch this because of Yuasa's presence.Still,this doesn't look a lot like him.
Regardless of my feelings about this episode,I am happy that this year is busy for Yuasa and that he will get more exposure.
kurotsuki wrote:

Eunyoung Choi directed that,Yuasa merely provided character designs.

oh ? it was Eunyoung Choi ? Could have sworn it was Yuasa.
It appears you are right http://www.animeland.com/animebase/anime/voir/2890/
I stand corrected.
SuperDuperDog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
This looks like the usual magic man episode.

Yay.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Like the latest episode with Finn's supposed dad - it's all messed up! Shocked
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

v1cious wrote:
I can't believe nothing by him has been released in the US yet. Funimation is leaving money on the table.

I REALLY doubt his stuff would sell in the American market. Usually those kinda series bomb HARD here because they're not long running action kids shows. Ain't exactly hard to see why companies pass on his stuff given the tastes of the American anime market.

Yeah, I think this is the 2nd time this month someone claimed that FUNimation "handled Tatami Galaxy" horribly. Dude, they didn't give it a home video because not enough people watched their stream of it! People should be watching their stream of Ping Pong NOW if they want it to get a home video (and introducing it to others). I'm still meaning to watch more Tatami Galaxy (like 4 episodes in) but I can't watch an episode in a half-hour, what with pausing the lead's fast-talking.

Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Really? Because the majority of American cartoons look flat (without the detail to things like hair or creases in clothing) and have circles with dots for eyes (or just dots like Adventure Time or Doug). I find this "all anime looks the same" claim annoying when most American cartoons look flat, as if it's too much to ask for characters that don't look flat. I mean, Korra doesn't look flat, but does it have to look like anime not to look flat? I mean, some superhero shows don't (and Disney movies) but I get bored of watching the same characters (i.e. Batman) over and over again.

Your Mistaking Detail for quality & denouncing the merit of visual Diversity. Detailed pictures are nice but part of ATs charm is it's simplistic nature.

Visual Diversity means having a look all your own, or at least some slight variation on what exists, many anime have characters ecspecially female characters that could be from 1 of 1000s of shows. They look like clones! But no one is going to mistake Adventure Time for South Park, or Simpsons For King. Of The Hill, Gravity Falls for Bobs Burgers.

Anime severly lacks this. That's why I love YUASA so much! He makes visually Stimulating stuff like Tatami Galaxy, Kick Heart, Ping Pong, etc. I can't wait to watch his full AT episode!!!
Crystal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Your Mistaking Detail for quality & denouncing the merit of visual Diversity. Detailed pictures are nice but part of ATs charm is it's simplistic nature.

Visual Diversity means having a look all your own, or at least some slight variation on what exists, many anime have characters ecspecially female characters that could be from 1 of 1000s of shows. They look like clones! But no one is going to mistake Adventure Time for South Park, or Simpsons For King. Of The Hill, Gravity Falls for Bobs Burgers.

Anime severly lacks this. That's why I love YUASA so much! He makes visually Stimulating stuff like Tatami Galaxy, Kick Heart, Ping Pong, etc. I can't wait to watch his full AT episode!!!

A lot of VNs look the same, but I don't see how Clannad looks like One Piece, or how that looks like Monster, or how that looks like Soul Eater or how that looks like Azumanga Daioh or how that looks like CLAMP.

Having more realistic body shapes and more detail to the eyes does not mean "the same."

On the note of Gravity Falls, I don't have anything against it, but feel like its eyes are the same as Family Guy, Crash Canyon, Brickleberry, Regular Show (especially the first 3 are similar, I like Regular Show).
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah there are a small amount of anime with some visual diversity, but they are in the minority overall.

Also Have to Disagree on the Gravity Falls thing though. But yea BrickleBerry is pretty much a shameless Family Guy clone visually & content wise. Anime hyper

And yeah I'm glad there's stuff like One Piece, Monster, Panty&Stocking etc. and maybe it's unfair to compare because there's a lot more anime pumped out per a year then U.S. Toons, but even then, still doesn't change the fact anime severly lacks visual diversity overall compared to its western counterpart.

As for Regular Show clones, closest thing I can Think of is Sanjay & Craig on Nick and it's more a weird inbetween of that & Bobs Burgers.

Other then that, most toons on. Clarence, Steven Universe, TMNT, MLP, Gumball, LPS, etc all seem to have their own very distinct visual identity, which IMO for animation is just as important as the writing & the BGMs!

Now given from a content perspective both anime & toons can be well or poorly written...

But yea in terms of visual creativity & stimulation, toons win hands down in my book!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8