• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AKB48 Idols Anna Iriyama, Rina Kawaei Attacked at Fan Event

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
WTF, this takes the cake for idol attacks and why?

The attack on isn't a Japan thing, this is very common in South Korea and it's more disturbing then what I'm reading from Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
WTF, this takes the cake for idol attacks and why?

The attack on isn't a Japan thing, this is very common in South Korea and it's more disturbing then what I'm reading from Japan.

Poor idols, the draconian rules and their managers are bad enough, now they also have to endure more and more attacks by fans who snap, sometimes for no rhyme or reason like this case. Usually the fan or fans that attack them have a reason for doing so even if it's a demented reason. I'm glad the suspect is in prison, he seems to be someone who'd try to kill them again if he got released.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
This was likely one of their fans. Or rather, fan of someone else in the group, and he tried to "clear the list" so that his favourite could climb higher in the rankings.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Those handshake events are horrible and should be banned. Terribly exploitive to the girls and to the fans. You have to buy dozens of copies of the same album to get a ticket to go to an event. The only guys that devoted to go are uber-creeps. There have been plenty of tales of these guys saying and doing inappropriate things to these girls at these events.

There is supposed to be a bodyguard/thug holding onto the guy as he does the handshaking, but I guess he was asleep on the job or something.

I hope something is finally done to stop these pimps.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Which happens all the time! Right? Not a day goes by when I don't hear about another pop star getting capped by a fan!

This doesn't happen everyday in Japan either. If you did some research there'd be more celebrity attacks in America than Japan so why single out Japan, brah? Every country has crazies

mrsatan wrote:
The only guys that devoted to go are uber-creeps.

LOL nice stereotyping, man
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Admit it, you knew this would happen eventually. This definitely won't end well, the fandom is pretty much ruined like this happens. Idol events will never be the same.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun May 25, 2014 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh great even NHK World has now reported on it. I'll quote the whole article:

NHK World wrote:

2 AKB48 singers and staff member stabbed

Two singers of the all-girl pop group AKB48 and a staff member have been slashed by a man at a fan event in northeastern Japan.

Police have arrested a 24-year-old man on suspicion of attempted murder.

They say they had a report from the site saying some people were attacked with a saw.

They say AKB48 singers Rina Kawaei and Anna Iriyama were injured along with a male staff member. They say they cannot confirm the condition of the victims but they are all conscious.

The fan event was being held in Takizawa, Iwate Prefecture.

May 25, 2014 - Updated 12:07 UTC

EDIT 1: looks like video is now included on the report.

Hoppy800 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Poor idols, the draconian rules and their managers are bad enough, now they also have to endure more and more attacks by fans who snap, sometimes for no rhyme or reason like this case. Usually the fan or fans that attack them have a reason for doing so even if it's a demented reason. I'm glad the suspect is in prison, he seems to be someone who'd try to kill them again if he got released.

Hoppy800, I don't want to derail the whole topic but check your PM. Want to rant the whole thing on there instead of on the thread.

Last edited by mdo7 on Sun May 25, 2014 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
誤称 wrote:
Which happens all the time! Right? Not a day goes by when I don't hear about another pop star getting capped by a fan!

This doesn't happen everyday in Japan either. If you did some research there'd be more celebrity attacks in America than Japan so why single out Japan, brah? Every country has crazies

Um.....he's not singling out Japan? His point was that the stupid American bash from those posters was random and also stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Japan, home of the worlds greatest pizza and sharpest saws.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of idol groups, but when they mentioned "shut-in tendencies", there is obviously some mental issue. Makes me question the health system, and if there is any consideration towards psychological/psychiatric treatment for cases like these.

Rather than tolerance, they need immediate help. If only there wasn't such a matter of "family pride" and "image consciousness" regarding mental health...
hpulley

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Those handshake events are horrible and should be banned. Terribly exploitive to the girls and to the fans. You have to buy dozens of copies of the same album to get a ticket to go to an event. The only guys that devoted to go are uber-creeps. There have been plenty of tales of these guys saying and doing inappropriate things to these girls at these events.

There is supposed to be a bodyguard/thug holding onto the guy as he does the handshaking, but I guess he was asleep on the job or something.

Yes, while saw attacks are the worst that can happen, gross stuff has happened as well.
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2012/02/03/idol-otaku-inflict-semen-handshake-on-akb48/
Mention of the guard who is supposed to check their hand before the handshake, from King Records who produces AKB48:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20140526/k10014715401000.html
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
The semen thing is hilariously disgusting. I wonder how long the assailant was standing there with it "in hand" before the attack. Ugh some of these lunatic fans are just wow.
Ranho

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
mrsatan wrote:

Yes, while saw attacks are the worst that can happen, gross stuff has happened as well.
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2012/02/03/idol-otaku-inflict-semen-handshake-on-akb48/
Mention of the guard who is supposed to check their hand before the handshake, from King Records who produces AKB48:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20140526/k10014715401000.html

What. Thefuck?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Lacto:
Quote:
I'm not a fan of idol groups, but when they mentioned "shut-in tendencies", there is obviously some mental issue.

Call a spade a spade. The dude was an otaku, and Miyazaki has been vindicated.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Call a spade a spade. The dude was an otaku,

Maybe, if you create your own definition for "otaku" and tailor it to fit that guy.
It should be an interesting definition since there was no mention of anime anywhere in the articles and there is no indication that he was even a fan of the idol group.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5