• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Unicorn (UC)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
-Arthur C. Clarke's 3rd Law

This does not mean that it isn't still technology though.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

The Newtype's are closer to the concept of Jedi and the Force than they are of advanced technology, though the Newtype concept while purposefully vague is well established in universe and is hardly a "magic out of no where" scenario.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

The Newtype's are closer to the concept of Jedi and the Force than they are of advanced technology, though the Newtype concept while purposefully vague is well established in universe and is hardly a "magic out of no where" scenario.

I was referring to the technology of the Unicorn/Banshee and other Newtype amplification devices in Mobile Suits and Armors, not really the Newtypes themselves. I'm pretty sure the tech in the suits does most of the real "magic". We haven't been shown many Newtypes whose abilities extended much beyond the cockpit of their special Mobile Suit, other than basic telepathy, perception, and danger sense. The only one that comes to mind is spoiler[Queen Maria's healing ability] from Victory Gundam maybe spoiler[Paptimus Shirako and his pimping power] from Zeta too. Am I forgetting anyone?

Could spoiler[Char and Amuro move asteroids or control funnels if they were not in their cockpits? Could characters in UC Gundam do the things they do without the suits?] I would say some of the things, but probably not everything. Technology is a big factor in amplifying their abilities and a Newtype in a Mobile Suit is just like the battery in a flashlight.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Am I forgetting anyone?

You are missing quite a number of Newtype UC moments that can't be hand waved with "it's advanced tech", but that isn't really what the conversation is about anyway.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I know this thread is old but please bear with me. I just finished watching Unicorn Gundam, catching up because I’ve been away from this forum for many years. I enjoyed the series. I like the ending. I felt comforted to see the spirits of Char, Amuro and Lala happy together after death. What a relief for older generation fans who saw Amuro and Char fight each other during the late 70s and early 80s and then Lala’s death lingered on everybody’s mind for the longest time ever. That small and vague segment showing 3 spirits uniting is a powerful closure for fans like me. Embarassed

I read in-between the lines of Syam Vist’s message; “our times are over, we must let the new generation decide for themselves what type of anime they to want to watch and the kind of storyline and ending they prefer.” This is my own interpretation, reading in-between his lines is subject to my imagination.

As someone loyal to Char and the Zeon cause, I am shocked and saddened to hear Minerva Zabi’s ideology, I am convinced Zeon is finished under her, she’s the Last Blitz of Zeon. However, Syam Vist is right; we should just leave things to the new generation. Since I did not watch Victory Gundam, I gather from previous posts in this thread that nothing changed after the box was opened. So, Full Frontal’s preference for the Laplace’s box to remain sealed could have been a better option. Rolling Eyes

Minerva Zabi’s mannerism, authoritative voice, poise and elegance remind me of Haman Khan (Princess Minerva’s regent in Zeta and Double Zeta) but unlike Haman, Minerva is emotionally stable. Minerva grew up to be what Haman should have been but never was. Minerva caught her man and held him close, something Haman failed miserably. In any case, it’s comforting to see Haman through Minerva. I like Haman Khan, I was sad that the 3 spirits excluded her, even in death, she’s not with that special someone she so long to be with. Crying or Very sad

As a side joke Laughing …..I've been browsing this forum; new young fans, new anime titles I am not familiar with. I feel like the Ghost of Char, detached from everything and everyone here. Syam Vist's message must have gotten to me, I must be suffering from exhaustion reading too hard in-between his lines. Anyway, I won’t be around for long, I have come back here to update my small DVD collection. I’m almost done and then I'd be gone again. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2