• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nanana's Buried Treasure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elliott954

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who found this series really insufferable to watch? the writing in some of the episodes where really horrible and it felt like oh you beat me up and nearly tried to kill me ahh buts its all cool.spoiler[Per example in episode 7 where he quotes "I will never hit a woman", then he precedes to use one of nanana's buried treasures and quote "I can do whatever I want to you, and you can't even resist as I violate you." with the most seediest of rape faces. ]
This scene was the final straw for me personally even though I decided to give it one last episode.

Needless to say because I don't have alot of time episode 8 was the final straw for me, it was pretty much Ima go around and insult every mofo I see. It was just so pointless I mean if you want him to be the bad guy just make him do it, don't make a whole episode of him pissing off everyone on the main cast it just felt so stupid. As well Nanana felt like a side character most of the time and didn't really do anything except for eating pudding and playing terraria, over she was pointless for being a main character and felt that they wasted great potential on such an awesome character. Tensai really carried the series and her resemblance to Taiga from Toradora feels uncanny at some times and the harem of girls was so unneeded it was beyond stupid.

How this gets B overall is beyond me, A C for this show would of been fair I think as there are some decent aspects to it such as the CGI that A-1 pics do, some of the best I think I have seen in Anime for a long time. But the execution of the writing and characters where just horrible.

Sorry for the horrible English but I had to get my rant before I go to work.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
elliott954 wrote:
As well Nanana felt like a side character most of the time and didn't really do anything except for eating pudding and playing terraria, over she was pointless for being a main character and felt that they wasted great potential on such an awesome character.

She wasn't, Juugo was the main character. Nanana was a plot device.
Taskforce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
I actually finished it but I found it to be one of the worst shows of the season as well. Nanana being the worthless character that she was just made the whole back story fall apart entirely. Seriously, who actually could see this girl that wastes her time all day on Video Games and eating pudding doing anything remotely hinted at in the back story? I realize she is a ghost stuck to a room at this point, but nowhere in what little personality that they give her is there any remote resemblance of a person capable of these extreme feats she was supposed to have pulled off. If you're going to shovel a ridiculous premise down my throat, at least try to make it somehow remotely believable.

And lets not get into the fact that her puzzles make her a psychopathic murderer (or at least have the potential to have made her one.)

Quote:
In execution, though, the series actually dramatically exceeds its potential.

When a plot has very little potential, it is fairly easy to exceed it. Although, I personally don't feel that this show even managed to do that.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
There's something like 7 LNs and counting, and I've no idea how far into the LNs this anime went. Thing is, to me, it didn't feel like it went too far into the story.

Agreed, and I'm also not convinced that another 11-13 episodes would be enough at the pace they're going. Still, how much I came to like this one caught me completely by surprise, so I dearly hope that it performs well enough to justify more getting made.

Yeah, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. But, that was mainly because going in...I knew that this show would leave me feeling short changed.

The premise never seemed like one that'd be wrapped up within 11 episodes, but I also didn't expect it to barely scratch the surface.

leatherhead333 wrote:
And it pisses me off that Juugo will likely end up with her instead of Tensai despite them having far superior chemistry.

That is an ending I wouldn't want to see. I'd want Tensai, but wouldn't be against Yukihime.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Uh, two of those haven't even finished yet. And Kanojo flag looks like it's going to tell a complete story.

Does it? I'd be surprised if it does, with it alluding to another world with the whole thing about the roles that some of the girls have (eg knight, wizard, etc). I've yet to see episode 12 myself...but I just feel like there is so much to explain that I don't see it being done in 2 episodes.

Why'd he get his powers? What's up with Zero and the organisation she belongs to? What's behind the underground door? Will he end up with someone or will we just get a harem end? Does his destiny really tie in with his spoiler[death flag]?

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Nanana has a central mystery that it never even started to deal with, and was particularly mean with that scene after the credits in the last episode, making it a much bigger flaw here than, say, what will likely be the situation with Black Bullet.

To me, obviously, I feel like threads will just be left there in the series I named.

Personally, I feel like some things touched upon in the world in Black Bullet may just be left. The focus seems to have turned to spoiler[controlling the outbreak that is happening due to the tower being destroyed (forget what it actually is called).]

Black Bullet will leave things like the romance untouched (he clearly is after someone), spoiler[how long Enju will be around for (as they revealed that her percentage of infection rose dramatically) and how they may or may not prolong her life], is there a cure, whether or not the cursed children will continue to suffer from discrimination, and can they bring an end to the gastrea?

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Quote:
There's something like 7 LNs and counting, and I've no idea how far into the LNs this anime went. Thing is, to me, it didn't feel like it went too far into the story.

And unless you're willing and able to read the novels, it's a moot point since there almost certainly won't be another season.

Eh, I simply was giving thoughts on how I felt towards the anime's story. Simply, Nanana felt like an introduction. Whether or not a 2nd season comes along won't change that.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote
I think a C would be fitting for this show. The first 3 episodes were utterly fantastic. But then it dipped into confusion and ulterior motives in the episodes that followed, before finally returning to form once they had a solid antagonist who could help tie everything together.

It had a lot of potential, but ultimately a lot of it was wasted. I would watch a second season of it, but not as fast as I would watch a Tensai spin-off. She was the best thing about the show, and I daresay she was too good for the series. But she certainly helped my enjoyment!
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I liked it but as a series it felt like it went nowhere towards the end kind of like spoiler["oh yeah there was a murder mystery in here"] but instead parts of it felt like an odd mixture of battle anime and something like Phi Brain. Not bad but ultimately inconsequential
Clarste

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
elliott954 wrote:
Am I the only one who found this series really insufferable to watch? the writing in some of the episodes where really horrible and it felt like oh you beat me up and nearly tried to kill me ahh buts its all cool.spoiler[Per example in episode 7 where he quotes "I will never hit a woman", then he precedes to use one of nanana's buried treasures and quote "I can do whatever I want to you, and you can't even resist as I violate you." with the most seediest of rape faces. ]
This scene was the final straw for me personally even though I decided to give it one last episode.

You do realize that Juugo is a liar, right? You can't assume that he means everything he says.

Honestly, as much as I hate to say this, I feel like a lot of the viewers of this are just too stupid to get it. It's not a masterpiece or anything, and many of its flaws have been pointed out here, but this isn't a show you can turn off your brain for. You're expected to read beyond people's stated goals and see the subtler interactions behind them. One of the most common complaints I see for this is that "it's confusing" which to me just sounds like the viewer isn't trying. And maybe you shouldn't be expected to, but it's not the show's fault that it's something different from what you expect.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
At the start of the series it was established that Nanana was eccentric and that she has now been dead for a decade. Trapped in a single room for a decade, only interacting with whomever comes into that room, and given how things went with the last person who lived in that room with her there, I don't find it odd at all that her personality changed from the adventurous active sort to a NEET. She literally seems to have no choice. She can't exactly be all gung-ho about going out to do anything when she literally can't go out. That being said, they didn't exactly use her well. Hyping her past at the outset gets you hoping they'll end her entrapment in that room. They don't, and that ruins any ability for her character to develop to anything more. spoiler[The idea that she is trying to retain her sense of who she is by not just automatically divulging everything about her treasure] is perhaps one of the most subtle and important character traits I've seen in anime recently.

I disagree about Juugo. He isn't complex or creative as an MC. He's just He is just a guy who likes to pick fights with everyone, whose story demands he be accepted for it. You look back at every person he is associated with at all, he opposes them only for them to come around to like and accept him . He's self-centered, and states repeatedly that he's only in it all for himself. The "confusion" that arises in this series stems from his saying or doing something that seems like it might even be a little altruistic, only to find out later that he was working with someone else, or lying to someone, or trying to trick someone, and it just wasn't shown in the story the way most stories hint to such things before the reveal.

Tensai is likely the best character of the series, but only in so far as she actually does and says things to engage you into the show or make you laugh. She is the one that actually solves the puzzles, Juugo acting as the physical power to execute the solution. Yet for all her talk of being a master detective, even as the audience it's hard to believe her when the guy who is her "arch enemy" not only never receives any real punishment, but is likely her love interest.

For its entertainment value, for its potential, I can see how it could get a B. But in terms of what I deem execution (how it handles the aspects of characters and story it has the chance to manage) it's average. Some stories simply are not what you might want simply because the premise and setup don't allow for it. That isn't the case here for this show. Nothing amazing, but I wouldn't write it off completely.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:14 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this series, one of the handful I would come back to watch every week (usually like to binge). But I must agree that it felt like the show was taking its self too seriously with the subplots and amount of characters you had to remember; instead of just having more fun searching and conquering ruins.

And because I saw Index comparisons, I'd take Nanana over Index every day of the week!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I find it odd to enjoy an anime so much while at the same time agreeing with almost all the caustic criticisms that show up in threads like this.

Many have written that Nanana herself is a pretty useless character. And it is true she doesn't seem to do much. She could have done pretty much the same job as a picture hanging on the wall of the apartment with a caption "founder of the island."

Yet she still is the seed of the story, and not useless. She provides information about the treasures and some sort of motive for Juugo who has perforce become attached to her. She is an oddity that gives the whole anime its feel. And she could ultimately be a love interest.

We are left with so many things unexplained. So how does a teenage girl like Nanana manage to collect so many exotic treasures, build a huge island to hide them on, and hide them so well that for 10 years they remain unfound with everyone looking for them. And hidden in elaborate "ruins" that have complex defense and puzzle mechanisms that are huge (yet unnoticed for 10 years) and still work after all that time.

Why would Nanana, as a ghost and presumably beyond any physical threat, get so upset at the presence of Ikusaba yet still answer his questions? For his part why would the lethally competent Ikusaba be afraid to enter Nanana's apartment?

You are expected to ignore all the absurdity of all of that. I think that rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Personally I would like to see more of it in the hopes that all these loose pieces will fall into some order.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Why would Nanana, as a ghost and presumably beyond any physical threat, get so upset at the presence of Ikusaba yet still answer his questions? For his part why would the lethally competent Ikusaba be afraid to enter Nanana's apartment?

She said it, that she was merely following the rules she had created for herself. We just weren't told exactly what those rules are, or what conditions they apply under.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
You are expected to ignore all the absurdity of all of that. I think that rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Personally I would like to see more of it in the hopes that all these loose pieces will fall into some order.

Show asking me to ignore absurdity doesn't rub me the wrong way per se, what does is when show alternatively ask me to ignore stuff and then consider stuff in the next scene, I just want consistency. Otherwise it's really seems like the writer is lazy

writer: "Oh this make no sense, whatever I'll just ignore it and focus on trying to impose some moral that doesn't make any sense if you consider all the plot hole and logic gap"

spoiler[Like how we're suppose to see the guy in black as a bad guys despite the fact that everything Juugo despite him for is really Nanana fault and he knows it, yet at the same time we're suppose to believe he's falling in love with Nanana.]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

My impression was that Nanana was put off by Ikusaba because of the distance he kept, because he essentially abandoned her, and because he wasn't really treating her as a person. My impression was that Ikusaba was keeping his distance at least partly because the whole business with Nanana being a ghost actually bothered him; he is shown to have a world view that is pragmatic to a fault, and spirits likely wouldn't fit well into that.

[quote="meiam"]spoiler[Like how we're suppose to see the guy in black as a bad guys despite the fact that everything Juugo despite him for is really Nanana fault and he knows it, yet at the same time we're suppose to believe he's falling in love with Nanana.]
Grammar issues aside, this comment makes no sense, as the first part of it is completely unsupportable based on actual series content.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Nanana the one who build/ordered the construction of those trap, I thought she collected the treasure all over the world, then placed them in new trap room in her island she created using the money she got using said treasure?

So Juugo hate Ikusaba because hespoiler[ put the other girl] in a dangerous situation (the trap), yet ignore that Nanana is the one who made those trap lethal in the first place. Ikusaba even warn the girl that those trap are deadly whereas there's no warning before one enter the treasure room.

Similarly we're supposed to hate him for treating one of the treasure as trash where Nanana claim it can help people. But here again we have to ignore the fact that Nanana is the one who kept those treasure locked up, ensuring that they couldn't help anyone.

Unless something is revealed later on in the LN (which wouldn't matter anyway), I don't see how any of that is unsupportable.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:30 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

We are left with so many things unexplained. So how does a teenage girl like Nanana manage to collect so many exotic treasures, build a huge island to hide them on, and hide them so well that for 10 years they remain unfound with everyone looking for them. And hidden in elaborate "ruins" that have complex defense and puzzle mechanisms that are huge (yet unnoticed for 10 years) and still work after all that time.

The absolute brilliant stupidity of the series Nanana's Buried Treasure: All the traps are hidden but once you find them, the treasure's right there in the open. In a big ol' chest, just like "x marks the spot".

My basic complaint is actual even before this one, being a fan of both Raiders of the Lost Ark and its source material, the adventures of Carl Bark's Scrooge McDuck {and yeah, ten years is nothing to those guys}: A giant diamond, a horde of gold or even a lost mine or a city made of gold, yes, fine, that's treasure. Bury it, trap it, sell it or even just trade it or lose it on your way to bigger treasure, that's fine as its the basic use for material wealth. The Raiders franchise went beyond that to make the treasured items into religious artifacts that may or may not have divine power but yeah, religious fanatics would covet and hide such things whether they honestly had power or not.

Nanana's treasure trove, a collection of magical/science items, all of them give their owners vast powers, none of which in that universe have any sort of known history, somehow. The Fabled Thing of Wherever, nothing like that in this series? "Hey, I've heard of that, never thought it existed..."

No, we get "What is this? What does it do?" If the series just stuck to material wealth, there wouldn't have been so many odd questions asked about the title character such as {deep breath}:

"Where did she hear about them in the first place?"
"Why didn't she use them?"
"How did she keep them a secret?"
"If she had so much power at her finger tips, how did she end up as..." Actually, that would could explain a few things.
"Didn't she have partners?"
"Why are the ones most interested in her items after ten years criminal societies who should have alternate, better, quicker opportunities to wealth, power and position? Personal collectors, government agents, power hungry madmen, fine but those guys?"
"If all that real power was really concentrated on one island then at some point in that ten years, a country or company would have taken over the entire island or blown it up."

Ok, that last one wasn't a question, more an observation.

I like the series, fun characters and good artistic flair but the premise and plot are just kind of dumb.

Still, none of this has anything to do with how awesome Tensai is. She needs her own series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3