• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: S. Korean Court: Cancelled One Piece Exhibition Can Be Held

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
The_way67 wrote:
Quote:
World War 2 was a gallery of atrocities but it is time to let go and move on. I swear that not even Jewish people nowadays hate and begrudge today's Germans as much as Koreans hate and begrudge Japanese. Jingoism is a cancer.

I agree it's time to move forward and look at how much people in Germany and Japan do for the world today. Many people forget Italy, USA, Spain, and Russia all committed atrocities...some lost, some won, and some stayed neutral.

I don't believe people that follow the Judaism faith, or live in Israel will ever stop holding it over Germany. Who do you think funds Israels massive military means other than the USA? Germany.

People in Germany today are very humble, scared, and or an ever apologetic people...similar to those in Japan lol. They're both beaten girl friends basically lol. Eventually they will wake up, and retake their balls, countries, and heritage...but not for a long time longer lol.

Germany and Japanese are quite dissimilar in this regard, complete opposite even.
InuKen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Yes true, but the problem is Japan's habit of whitewashing history. Have you ever heard of the Kono Statement, yeah not long ago, Japanese government decided to review the statement and it caused outrage in South Korea. Even some of the lawmakers in the US was not quite happy on this.

You do realize that even after Japan had an official signed apology regarding the comfort woman issue, South Korea still refused to accept it right? Honestly, I was glad when the Abe Administration mentioned that they would "review" as it just made the South Korean government look like fools. If you never acknowledged the apology in the first place then why make such a huge fuss when Japan wants to "review" it.

With regards to textbooks. You do realize that South Korean textbooks are worse if not just as bad as their Japanese counterparts? It takes 2 sides to clap. Fact is the South Korean government(and Chinese one as well) will never forgive Japan regardless of how many apologies they make because they can always bring it up as a political issue when their countries are having elections or internal problems.

I've already mentioned this before but if every other country from SEA that were occupied by the Japanese like Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Philippines and etc can forgive Japan and have excellent relationships with them now, why can't South Korea and China? It's pretty stupid IMO. Even Taiwan has extremely good ties with Japan and they both managed to settle fishing disputes amicably without any problems whatsoever.
InuKen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
ragz wrote:

Germany and Japanese are quite dissimilar in this regard, complete opposite even.

Lol. You must be living underground if you really think that way. Do you know how many 2nd and 3rd world countries Japan has helped(even though they do not have their own military) and aided after the war.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
The difference between Germany and Japan is that Japan doesn't rank low in patriotism surveys, while Germany is always almost dead last. I agree. Japan has a lot to be proud of, regardless of what the Japanese left or the Korean sympathizers have to say. As for Germany, their anti-patriotism is just stupid. For one, Hitler wasn't German, so if anything, anti-patriotism should be on Austria's soldiers and two, the Third Reich happened over 80 [expletive] years ago. Get over it. The Germans also have a lot to be proud of.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
InuKen wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Yes true, but the problem is Japan's habit of whitewashing history. Have you ever heard of the Kono Statement, yeah not long ago, Japanese government decided to review the statement and it caused outrage in South Korea. Even some of the lawmakers in the US was not quite happy on this.

You do realize that even after Japan had an official signed apology regarding the comfort woman issue, South Korea still refused to accept it right? Honestly, I was glad when the Abe Administration mentioned that they would "review" as it just made the South Korean government look like fools. If you never acknowledged the apology in the first place then why make such a huge fuss when Japan wants to "review" it.

With regards to textbooks. You do realize that South Korean textbooks are worse if not just as bad as their Japanese counterparts? It takes 2 sides to clap. Fact is the South Korean government(and Chinese one as well) will never forgive Japan regardless of how many apologies they make because they can always bring it up as a political issue when their countries are having elections or internal problems.

I've already mentioned this before but if every other country from SEA that were occupied by the Japanese like Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Philippines and etc can forgive Japan and have excellent relationships with them now, why can't South Korea and China? It's pretty stupid IMO. Even Taiwan has extremely good ties with Japan and they both managed to settle fishing disputes amicably without any problems whatsoever.

So you're saying what Japan did to comfort women did was correct, and what about Japan whitewashing their history. You basically Japan's whitewashing of history. What about Japan's racism problem:

Zaitokukai

Hating the Korean Wave

Japan's anti-foreigner manga

WSJ-Anti-Korean voices grow in Japan

Vice-Japan's "Internet Nationalists" hate Koreans

Asashi Shinbum-High court upholds ruling against racist insults at Korean students

Do you remember in 2009, Japan paid most of their Brazilian residents to go back home raising controversy over discrimination (Sources: NYT, and Time magazine)? If you deny (or even accept Japan's racism), then you lost all credibility on this forum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7 Talking about calling the kettle black. Japan's "racism" is nothing compared to South Korea's racism. In Japan, being half-Japanese is not something to be ashamed of. In Korea, being half-Korean is and you can be stigmatized for it. In Korea, more than 70% of all people regard race as an important part of Korean identity. In South Korea, you can instantly get citizenship if you're an ethnic Korean overseas. In Japan, overseas Japanese have to work like everybody else to get citizenship. In Japan, the schoolchildren aren't brainwashed to hate Korea. In Korea, they do. Most Japanese dislike Koreans because they are whiny and they always complain about the past. In Korea, they merely hate the Japanese because of the past.

When you show your double standards, it automatically destroys any point you have. Everyone knows that there is racism in Japan, no question about it, but South Korea is 100X worse. I've been to both and I was treated like a unicorn in Korea and some people were being rude and racist towards me. In Japan, people wanted to know where I was from and they helped me.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
@mdo7 Talking about calling the kettle black. Japan's "racism" is nothing compared to South Korea's racism. In Japan, being half-Japanese is not something to be ashamed of. In Korea, being half-Korean is and you can be stigmatized for it. In Korea, more than 70% of all people regard race as an important part of Korean identity. In South Korea, you can instantly get citizenship if you're an ethnic Korean overseas. In Japan, overseas Japanese have to work like everybody else to get citizenship. In Japan, the schoolchildren aren't brainwashed to hate Korea. In Korea, they do. Most Japanese dislike Koreans because they are whiny and they always complain about the past. In Korea, they merely hate the Japanese because of the past.

When you show your double standards, it automatically destroys any point you have. Everyone knows that there is racism in Japan, no question about it, but South Korea is 100X worse. I've been to both and I was treated like a unicorn in Korea and some people were being rude and racist towards me. In Japan, people wanted to know where I was from and they helped me.

If Koreans were that racist then many of our Korean-American singers (ie: Lena Park) and actors (ie: Daniel Henney) wouldn't have been super famous in South Korea themselves. Don't forget that Girls Generation/SNSD has 2 members that are Korean-Americans (ie: Jessica and Tiffany). Also if South Korea was that racist, then why would K-pop group like 2PM have non-Koreans in there, even Chocolat is a K-pop group consist of bi-racial Korean, is formed in South Korea.

However, I did research on both Japan and South Korea. Japan has numerous racism problem, if you say Japan don't have racism, why are Japanese Brazilians facing discrimination in Japan (even the one that are half-Japanese faced discrimination).

I find your statement hard to believe, because you seem to support Japan's whitewashing of the past and you seem to ignore most of Japan's racism. Oh, and we do have Japanese actor/actresses in Korean Entertainment like Mina Fujii. Oh and I heard these are widespread in Japan, but I can't find something like this in South Korea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Guys, any country has discrimination. It's just more pronounced in homogeneous societies. When the "us" is much bigger than the "them," it's easier to get backers to follow behind.
Maokun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Guys, any country has discrimination. It's just more pronounced in homogeneous societies. When the "us" is much bigger than the "them," it's easier to get backers to follow behind.

This is the smartest comment on the thread.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

I'll agree there are discrimination everywhere, but when it comes to Japan, it's a bit of a big (and mostly silent) issue.

EDIT 1: I just went to Japan Times and this got my attention.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
Wait, someone took them to court over this?
Apparently they signed a contract to host it, so somebody had every right to.

Just found it strange that there was no mention of this going to court. I wonder who brought the case to the courts? And how it all went so quickly?
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
crimso wrote:
I do have doubts about a fighting shonen being an adequate exhibition topic.

You obviously haven't bothered to watch One Piece if you dismiss it as just some shounen battle Anime.
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:27 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

So you're saying what Japan did to comfort women did was correct, and what about Japan whitewashing their history. You basically Japan's whitewashing of history. What about Japan's racism problem:

Zaitokukai

Hating the Korean Wave

Japan's anti-foreigner manga

WSJ-Anti-Korean voices grow in Japan

Vice-Japan's "Internet Nationalists" hate Koreans

Asashi Shinbum-High court upholds ruling against racist insults at Korean students

Do you remember in 2009, Japan paid most of their Brazilian residents to go back home raising controversy over discrimination (Sources: NYT, and Time magazine)? If you deny (or even accept Japan's racism), then you lost all credibility on this forum.

What about South Korea's racism problem?
smile72

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I'll agree there are discrimination everywhere, but when it comes to Japan, it's a bit of a big (and mostly silent) issue.

EDIT 1: I just went to Japan Times and this got my attention.

God, are you serious. talk about South Korea's racism problem which ARE much more blatant. I can literally pull up deregatory quotes against foreigners (white & black), other Asians, Japanese from some of your politicians, movie stars, and musicians. And lets not go into China's racism problem. There is racism EVERYWHERE. Look at the EU.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
@Hawking and smile72: I won't deny there's racism in Korea (I mean discrimination exist everywhere), but I do agree that both China and Japan have huge racism problem, but the real issue is that Japan doesn't have anti-discrimination law (same for Mainland China), whereas Taiwan and South Korea has good anti-discrimination laws protecting foreigners. But I'm not going to go off-topic over this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3