• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Narmanda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I've heard so many good things about the show that I hate to pass it up; do I need to have seen any of the other JBA series to appreciate this one?
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Narmanda wrote:
I've heard so many good things about the show that I hate to pass it up; do I need to have seen any of the other JBA series to appreciate this one?

You'd be fine for the most part starting with Stardust Crusaders. I'd recommend watching Part 1 and 2, but it's not necessary.
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Narmanda wrote:

Perhaps, I haven't and I'm still enjoying the show.
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Narmanda wrote:

To fully appreciate it you ought to watch the 2012 series that acts as a prequel to this on, to simply understand it though, you'll have no issues jumping into this one cold since it stands one it it's own fairly well. No need to bother with OVAs either

I'd say just start with the the 2012 anime and watch as intended. Starting from arc 3 would spoil the ending to the 1st arc anyhow

Last edited by gedata on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Durga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Narmanda wrote:

Not at all! Back in the 90s, most people started with Stardust Crusaders because of the OVA, and it's definitely one of the best jumping-on points for the series. You might appreciate Joseph even more if you've seen/read Part 2, but Stardust Crusaders is definitely when the series started getting really good, so I don't blame people for starting there first. Though if you end up liking Part 3, definitely go back and see the first two parts if you want to get the full JoJo's experience. Thankfully they're short compared to Part 3 and beyond.
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Little bastard turned into a razor, still irks me what a bitch move that was. Lol.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Durga wrote:
Minor correction: The new Stand is High Priestess. The Empress was already fought several episodes ago.

Whoops! Good catch. Fix'd now. Got my "ess"es crossed.
Narmanda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses!
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Alot the the Suzie Q stuff was added by the anime writers... Which thank god, High Priestess was one of the more forgettable Stand Battles. So some character development in between is great.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
Narmanda wrote:

Nope! I've yet to see the 2012 series (which focus on Jonathan Joestar's adventures in Victorian England in the first part, and Joseph Joestar's as a young man in the 1930s in the second) and I'm understanding and loving Stardust Crusaders just fine.

It's cool to hear that they inserted some anime-original material here - material I thought worked pretty well, especially in the second half of the episode. (I agree with Hope that this lagged a bit at times, but most of the Suzie stuff was good.) From what I understand this show has been pretty faithful to the manga, so it's nice to know that they're willing to deviate where it's necessary for better viewing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Olaole

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
Believe it or not, I actually like Joseph being an old and kinda racist geezer that struggles with the times because... well, it is way more realistic than the stereotypical badass old men characters in anime that always teach the kids how to reach the pinnacle of power, train them and so forth!
This is a franchise that literally takes centuries to unfold and age should play a prominent factor and if we look at many older people we see these characteristics as well:
Struggling with new technical innovations, open-mindedness turning into stereotypical expectations due to their long life filled with not only good experiences and a certain laziness, the will to show that you are still not rusted despite that being not entirely true, conservative opinions... these are all very real traits some of our grandparents share with Joseph and we will share them with him as well in a few decades!
Araki does a good job at actually portraying an old man, that - despite being a badass action Shounen character - is still... well, old.
mashimizu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
Olaole wrote:
Believe it or not, I actually like Joseph being an old and kinda racist geezer that struggles with the times.

I stopped reading here. I have no idea who your describing but that is definitely not Joseph.

Also am I the only one that found part 2 to be superior to part 3? Part 1 got my interest and built the foundation for the story, Part 2 had me at the edge of my seat almost constantly, and Part 3 has been rather disappointing so far. Especially this parts Jojo, Jotaro is just so very dull compared to Joseph.

What really irritates me is that I'm trying to get my friend into JBA but he just keep hounding to show him stardust crusaders instead and wont pay much attention to whats going on. Maybe I should have just showed him part 3 like he wanted but I was worried he wouldn't get into. I figured he would have gotten sucked into the story from the beginning like I did. *sigh*
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
mashimizu wrote:

Also am I the only one that found part 2 to be superior to part 3? Part 1 got my interest and built the foundation for the story, Part 2 had me at the edge of my seat almost constantly, and Part 3 has been rather disappointing so far. Especially this parts Jojo, Jotaro is just so very dull compared to Joseph.

In the manga Part 2 and Part 4 were always my favorite parts. Part 2 mainly because of Joseph's insanity.

Part 4 is where Jojo seems to nail down it's formula. With all the more obvious Stand powers out of the way, the stands get even weirder. So every battle is a crazy duel of minds. But most people don't care for part 4 *shrug*.

Although anime-wise Stardust Crusaders definitely has the best production values of all three. It's enjoyable to watch. After the... hanna barbara-ness of the first two seasons.
mashimizu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't read the manga but I have seen part 4 mentioned a few times. I'm definitely looking forward to it. I have my fingers crossed that they'll adapt the entire series.

Personally I don't think the first season looked that bad. My friend thought it looked terrible too until I showed him the BD version. Perhaps you guys are watching bad streams like he was? At any rate I agree this season has superior production values. I still enjoy watching stardust crusaders I think maybe my expectations were just way too high since everybody was boasting this as the best part of JBA and part 2 just blew me away.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:51 am Reply with quote
Season 3 Only
Jotarou:
spoiler[Main character, stereotype hoodlum has an aztec lookin spirit power. Doesn't adhere to rules]
Joeseph:
spoiler[Who is this old man? Oh, the main character's grandpa, that's cool. He chops a camera to get a future vision? Weird. Why is he a wanderer?]
Dio:
spoiler[Hey its a vampire that can control people. He is the target huh? Nothing new here.]

Season 1, 2 then 3

Jotarou:
spoiler[3rd gen Jojo, Japanese mix. Didn't need ripple training. New stand power is a game changer.]
Joeseph:
spoiler[Oh my God! Jojo's old! Haaa. Of course they would give that goofball a dumb power like hermit purple. He is still comic relief. With Speedwagons help he can still roam without issues.]
Dio:
spoiler[Holy shit! Dio is back with the body of Jojo. Damn, that merger brought about a whole new generation compared to Battle Tendency when each mask was powerful in it's own right, Dio really did hate Jostar. What a bastard. ]

These are just a few examples of the differences in experience each viewer would have coming into just Season 3. Yes, Season 3 is all we had years ago is why people are saying you don't need to watch but its really integral to understanding components of the story and how each generation gets their power. I mean come on, Phantom blood (S1) is 9 episodes long. Try not to strain yourself and Battle Tendency (S2) the remaining 17 of the 26 ep season is nothing you can't handle. It will give you a better understanding of the inside jokes too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3