• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Personal Demons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:51 am Reply with quote
Ok Bamboo, you've convinced me to give Yuyushiki another go. I don't even know how many episodes I watched before I dropped it or why I even decided to drop it, but I've been reading so many good things about it since that I've been racking my brain about what I didn't like about it and I honestly can't remember.

I agree that Prisma Illya is very much like other magical girl shows at the beginning and that everything kicks off when they face Saber, but I still really liked that show and it's definitely shelf worthy to me. Then again, I'm a Type-Moon fan and tend to like their animes anyway so it was pretty much a given that I'd love Prisma Illya as well.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Ah, Yuyushiki, lovable idiots. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed their antics. The back and forth between characters was a fun thing to see unfold, as you were never too sure where they'd take their conversations.
Hidders

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
General question about Shelf Life: What is the difference in Stream Worthy and Rental?

To do both legally you are spending some amount of money and chances are you only watch them once. Is it for the possibility that the DVD/BD will have extras? If that were the case, Tokyo Ghoul would be better suited to rent since most (if not all) of the censorship should be removed from the release.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
Hidders wrote:
General question about Shelf Life: What is the difference in Stream Worthy and Rental?

I think it'll be easier if I explain all of them.

Shelf Worthy are shows that are worth owning.
Rental Shelf are shows that are good, but not that good that they're worth owning.
Stream Worthy are shows that are airing in Japan right now and are only available on streaming sites like Crunchyroll.
And Perishable is pretty self explanatory.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
Erin Finnegan had a graphic for how she felt the streaming and physical reveiw rankings stacked up. You pretty much have to think of the physical show ranks and streaming ranks as separate. Don't know if Bamboo has the same idea behind it, but for Erin it was like this:

Shelf Worthy --|-- Rental Shelf --|-- Perishable
---- Stream Worthy ----|---- Flushable -----
Hidders

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Rental Shelf are shows that are good, but not that good that they're worth owning.
Stream Worthy are shows that are airing in Japan right now and are only available on streaming sites like Crunchyroll.
Barbobot wrote:
You pretty much have to think of the physical show ranks and streaming ranks as separate.
Shelf Worthy > Rental Shelf > Perishable
---- Stream Worthy > Flushable -----
Okay, I get it now. Thanks. Ortensia1980, the DVD/BD ranks were already self explanatory so explaining didn't change my understanding of them. I just didn't understand why there was two that were pretty much the same rank. Thanks anyway. Barbobot's idea that shows that are still streaming without a DVD/BD announcement are on a separate ranking system of just Stream Worthy and Flushable makes the most sense. But it is weird that there isn't anything separating the DVD/BD reviews from the stream reviews on the Shelf Life articles.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
@Hidders
I can see where it can get confusing, if you look at, say, Crunchyroll's back log, there are a lot of shows that are also available on DVD/Blu-Ray. Just think of that as a form of Rental Shelf.

Actually, I have more problems with the concept of Rental Shelf, myself. When I first saw Shelf Life, there was nowhere in town where you could rent anime. Now there is nowhere you can rent any physical media except Red Box. I gather Netflix once carried anime on DVD but according to the complaints in the anime forum that faded out a long time ago. As a result, the only form of "rental" available here is streaming from one site or the other. I suppose it might still be possible to rent physical media in some of the major cities, but I don't know as I'm not there.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Hidders
I can see where it can get confusing, if you look at, say, Crunchyroll's back log, there are a lot of shows that are also available on DVD/Blu-Ray. Just think of that as a form of Rental Shelf.

Actually, I have more problems with the concept of Rental Shelf, myself. When I first saw Shelf Life, there was nowhere in town where you could rent anime. Now there is nowhere you can rent any physical media except Red Box. I gather Netflix once carried anime on DVD but according to the complaints in the anime forum that faded out a long time ago. As a result, the only form of "rental" available here is streaming from one site or the other. I suppose it might still be possible to rent physical media in some of the major cities, but I don't know as I'm not there.

The idea of "Rental Shelf" is definitely a hold over from when rentals were actually a thing. The Rental Shelf ranking more signifies a show that you may enjoy the first time you watch it, but isn't really something you'd bother with ever watching again. While Shelf Worthy is something you'd either want to watch multiple times or something you'd find yourself lending out to friends. So while you can't really rent physical DVDs/Blu-rays anymore, the ranking still says the same thing about the show as it did before.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Shelf Life isn't the only review that used this kind of rating scale, I recall there was an anime podcast (do not recall the name right now) that rated anime as Buy It, Rent It or Forget It. My problem is that since renting anime never was much of an option for me I ended up owning a lot of shows that I will end up only watching once.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Hidders wrote:

To do both legally you are spending some amount of money and chances are you only watch them once. Is it for the possibility that the DVD/BD will have extras? If that were the case, Tokyo Ghoul would be better suited to rent since most (if not all) of the censorship should be removed from the release.

As the posters above have mentioned, Stream Worthy is for shows that are currently simulcasting, or have just finished their simulcast season.

When I first started this column, back in.... I don't know, 2004 or something, people still rented anime. You could rent anime at Blockbuster (lol) or some mom 'n' pop shops. These days... rental is more synonymous with "catch the stream if it's still on CR or Netflix or Hulu or Funi or Neon Alley, etc."

So the category is a little outdated now, especially since the industry has REALLY changed since then, but I've kept it there because the basic meaning is the same.

For me, when I say "rental shelf," I mean that something is worth watching once. When I say "shelf worthy," I mean that it's worth purchasing and rewatching/loaning to friends.

With the simulcast stuff, "stream worthy" means the simulcast is worth your time, which is just as pricey of a commodity as your money.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Ok Bamboo, you've convinced me to give Yuyushiki another go. I don't even know how many episodes I watched before I dropped it or why I even decided to drop it, but I've been reading so many good things about it since that I've been racking my brain about what I didn't like about it and I honestly can't remember.

I didn't actually love Yuyushiki the first time I watched it. But having watched it again, the girls really grew on me a lot more, and I think being able to just sit down and watch just Yuyushiki (as opposed to one of 20+ simulcast shows that season) really helped me get in synch with the girls and appreciate their jokes a lot more. The "bread eater" scene had me laughing at loud, because it's just so absurd, and absolutely something that "you had to be there" for, which is what Yuyushiki excels at bringing in viewers for.

Re: the FKLPI dub........ eh, you know, it was fine. I didn't think it was worth talking about. I didn't jive with Martinez's performance of Illya. It sounded very affected and forced, and reminded me of a child pageant queen. I actually really love her as Sora in Kaleidostar, but Illya just didn't work for me.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

When I first started this column, back in.... I don't know, 2004 or something, people still rented anime. You could rent anime at Blockbuster (lol) or some mom 'n' pop shops. These days... rental is more synonymous with "catch the stream if it's still on CR or Netflix or Hulu or Funi or Neon Alley, etc."

For me, when I say "rental shelf," I mean that something is worth watching once. When I say "shelf worthy," I mean that it's worth purchasing and rewatching/loaning to friends.

With the simulcast stuff, "stream worthy" means the simulcast is worth your time, which is just as pricey of a commodity as your money.

For what it's worth, dubbed anime movies may still be available on disk before the dub winds up on a streaming service, if it ever does. I saw the last two or three animated movies I watched this year by renting them from a Hastings store, before I decided to buy them; and that's how I'm waiting to see The Wind Rises. It's also true if I want to see the blu ray disk before deciding. I was glad I saw RedLine on BD, for the spectacle and because it had a commentary track that the DVD didn't. So to me, Rental Shelf means it's worth a little extra effort to see something. Just my two bits.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
@Renting

Beyond the obligatory sniggering, I recall seeing an ad for some Netflix knockoff dedicated to anime, but apparently they had exactly one warehouse in Florida, so returning things took forever.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
When I first got into anime, Blockbuster had a handful of VHS tapes, probably less than a dozen. After I rented all of those, we dropped our membership. To the best of my knowledge, no one else ever had anime to rent locally.

Basically, if I wanted to see an anime I had to buy it, regardless of how often I was likely to watch it. I tried Cruncyroll, but it wasn't practical to use until I upgraded our internet connection. It has only been a couple of years I've been able to see anime before buying it.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:31 am Reply with quote
Aside from stuff like DBZ and Pokemon when I was younger I think I've rented anime, like, once in my entire life. Then again I only really got into anime in late 2011. Anime has gained a lot of popularity since then but all the video rental places have been shut down.

Although when the video rental store I used to go to was closing down and selling all its stock I managed to snag all 4 volumes of FMP The Second Raid for about $20 all up. Oh, and I wasted $5 on Death and Rebirth of Evangelion but I'd rather not talk about that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3