• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Website: 2nd Tokyo Ghoul Anime Season Begins in January

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahridan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:47 am Reply with quote
Having not read the manga and thus seeing this as a standalone anime, i thoroughly enjoyed it. The people who read the manga were hailing TG as the best anime of the season and then they saw episodes 11 and 12 and suddenly dislike it? I don't understand these intense fandoms, they had to miss bits (c'mon it was only 12 ep's) but i for one thought that for 12 ep's the anime was incredibly well done
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
I'll wait until a confirmation from the author himself. In the meantime, idk how I feel about this even if it is true.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
epicrevenge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote
Really? I hope this is true.

I haven't seen episode 12 yet, but I assumed they wouldn't bother with a second season because according to manga readers they have butchered the story and the manga has apparently ended now.

I guess they might have planned for it to be 2 cour all along with a break in between. I know a lot of other anime have done that (Gin no Saji, Valvrave...). Maybe they will attempt to adapt the remaining chapters?

I was planning on reading the manga and I think I still will in the next week or two. I just hope it won't make me dislike the anime as I've really enjoyed it.
Kreion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Kreion wrote:
Divineking wrote:
As a manga reader myself I was actually pleasantly surprised with the adaption. It sped through a lot of material no doubt but the direction was really well done and it stuck to the strengths of the manga pretty well. I'm all up for another season and I'm curious to see if they'll actually have the guts to do the manga ending. Laughing Laughing

I disagree entirely - the strength of the manga lies in its use of symbolic imagery and insight into Kaneki's mind. The action is secondary a lot of the time, despite the fact that it's also very well drawn and is also a strength of the series; however I think the psychology and the use of imagery outside of the fights is far more important to Ghoul. Which is why I think the anime adaptation doesn't play to the strengths of the series - it takes the parts which will appeal to a wide audience ( the violence) and uses those as a base.

I agree the anime misses out on some of the psychological stuff but to me the real core of the series was in the cycle of violence between humans and ghouls and in that area the anime prevailed pretty well. It also got a lot of the horror across pretty strongly even if they obviously couldn't replicate some of the art from the manga in a few instances

I've mostly separated the anime and the manga in my head as two seperate entities and enjoy both. The anime's a more cinematic version of the story (obviously) where the manga is more novel-like with a lot more world building. I don't think there's much wrong with either approach and while the cinematic approach obviously lacks in detail it can make certain scenes (like the final episode) work really well.

Honestly I was expecting to despise the anime when I figured out how much they'd be covering in 12 episodes but given that limitation, the anime holds up a lot better on it's own than it should as opposed to other series that tried the same thing *cough*Zetman*cough*

I agree that the cycle of violence is important - but I don't think that's what drew me into the series at all. There are lots of violent series which are only violent for the sake of being violent, it requires something else for the series to stand alone in that genre. But I do agree that the violence is an important aspect of the series.

Again I believe that your act is really the only thing you can do if you want to enjoy the anime and have read the manga. If you understand that the anime is a separate entity then it's okay - you could even call it a good series. But If you ask me to judge it then my first instinct is to judge it against the source material since that's what I enjoyed first. There are certainly some moments when the anime shines though - such as the eating scene and the motorbike jump.

I will go back and re-watch the anime with that in mind and I imagine I'll enjoy it a bit more - but to me it's still an inferior replication of the manga. The censoring doesn't help that case either...it reminds me a lot of Noragami. That's an okay series on its own but it lacks the depth and detail which make the manga great.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
As a manga reader myself I was actually pleasantly surprised with the adaption. It sped through a lot of material no doubt but the direction was really well done and it stuck to the strengths of the manga pretty well. I'm all up for another season and I'm curious to see if they'll actually have the guts to do the manga ending. Laughing Laughing

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

But it upsetting to see how many dislike this anime and the last episode. I do hope they stick with the same director for season two of Tokyo Ghoul. Amd hopefully a bigger budget lol
Pipoko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
I watched most of the anime and then caught up to where the anime stopped in the manga.. and I don't get the problem with it? I don't see anything too important skipped, except the explanation of Kagunes and now that season 2 is announced I'm pretty sure we're gonna get that, along with whatever everyone else was doing during Kaneki's fight? People keep saying that it's rushed and changed, but what exactly was changed? I don't get it. What they skipped is mostly unimportant banter. The censorship, too. The violence is just violence, that doesn't remove any of the ideas the series wants to convey. Nishiki's, Touka's, Hinami's, Amon's and Kaneki's development is portrayed perfectly and that's the strength of the series. It's themes and characters. The adaption understands perfectly what the series is about and plays to it's strengths; I don't think there is anything really confusing about it, it's all pretty straightforward. I just don't get it.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Pipoko wrote:
I watched most of the anime and then caught up to where the anime stopped in the manga.. and I don't get the problem with it? I don't see anything too important skipped, except the explanation of Kagunes and now that season 2 is announced I'm pretty sure we're gonna get that, along with whatever everyone else was doing during Kaneki's fight? People keep saying that it's rushed and changed, but what exactly was changed? I don't get it. What they skipped is mostly unimportant banter. The censorship, too. The violence is just violence, that doesn't remove any of the ideas the series wants to convey. Nishiki's, Touka's, Hinami's, Amon's and Kaneki's development is portrayed perfectly and that's the strength of the series. It's themes and characters. The adaption understands perfectly what the series is about and plays to it's strengths; I don't think there is anything really confusing about it, it's all pretty straightforward. I just don't get it.

Uhh..they switched two arcs completely around, and what about Banjou? He only got a couple of seconds of screen time, yet he`s a major character for Kaneki during the Aogiri arc. They didn`t even try to include the spoiler[ escape plan that banjou created] which is important to how Kanekispoiler[became chained to a chair in yamori`s torture room.] Also Ayato was shown to have a little spat with Kaneki in the manga spoiler[ which only added fuel to the fire during their fight] Speaking of which don`t you think its weird how they completely left it as a cliffhanger? Right in the middle of where the exciting events occur. Because if there is a second season, you don`t know they could make them just briefly talk about the rest of this arc and completely move onward to the next arc
Pipoko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm not quite sure what to mark as spoilers n.n;

Just what difference does changing around those two arcs make? That's what I'm confused about. They're still pretty much the same in content. If anything it fits to switch them around because of Kaneki's resolve at the end of the Hinami arc. I don't think the bit with Banjio is all that relevant to anything, either, but I'm only caught up to the point where his hair turned white and he defeated Jason. I plan to watch the second season instead of catching up to the manga. None of these changes change the theming or character development in any significant way. It's just nitpicking because it's /different from the original/. Reading these complaints before reading the manga I thought they'd mischaracterized everyone or skipped some really important information, but everything that's skipped can be covered in season 2 and the only significant bit I can think of is the explanation of the 4 types of Kagune.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
maybe it is a bad adaptation, and I as much as any of you have bitched about adaptations in my time, FMA and Blue Exorcist for example. But having never read the Manga I have fount that this show can at least stand on its own, even the pacing does seem a bit rushed at times.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Awwwwwwwwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeah. Good news for me! I enjoyed the show a lot, adaptation woes or no. It didn't seem rushed to me at all, but again, probably because I've never read the comics. Anyway. I'd be happy to see more of that story animated, absolutely. Very Happy
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
A random Chinese streaming website posting this hardly seems a confirmation of a 2nd season of Tokyo Ghoul.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Pipoko wrote:

Just what difference does changing around those two arcs make? That's what I'm confused about. They're still pretty much the same in content. If anything it fits to switch them around because of Kaneki's resolve at the end of the Hinami arc. I don't think the bit with Banjio is all that relevant to anything, either, but I'm only caught up to the point where his hair turned white and he defeated Jason. I plan to watch the second season instead of catching up to the manga. None of these changes change the theming or character development in any significant way. It's just nitpicking because it's /different from the original/. Reading these complaints before reading the manga I thought they'd mischaracterized everyone or skipped some really important information, but everything that's skipped can be covered in season 2 and the only significant bit I can think of is the explanation of the 4 types of Kagune.

But what if there is no 2nd season? I mean this news is from a Chinese site with no actual confirmation from the studio that did the adaption or from Ishida-san
Pipoko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
Pipoko wrote:

But what if there is no 2nd season? I mean this news is from a Chinese site with no actual confirmation from the studio that did the adaption or from Ishida-san

Then it's still good from the character and theme perspective and since that the heart of it all and the best part of the series to me, I'd be fine with it. It made it's point. Sucks about the story, tho.

It also says it's the official chinese site, too, not some random website, but would be unfortunate if it wasn't true.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
OMG YISSSSS! I read the manga and yes they rushed the anime and skipped a lot of stuff, but Im still excited for this 2nd season if its real
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Pipoko wrote:
Felicity dash wrote:
Pipoko wrote:

Then it's still good from the character and theme perspective and since that the heart of it all and the best part of the series to me, I'd be fine with it. It made it's point. Sucks about the story, tho.

It also says it's the official chinese site, too, not some random website, but would be unfortunate if it wasn't true.

I forgot to mention this, but the two arcs I`m talking about are The Gourmet arc & The Dove arc (Hinami`s arc.) Those are the ones that got switched around. Which doesn`t make a whole lot of sense because both in the anime & manga they were talking about The Doves early on.

Theme wise it does have a good perspective, character-wise its really lacking the interactions between the characters, because each character is important in some way. For example, Banjou is important to Kaneki because he didn`t harm Kaneki in any way and was giving Kaneki hope that "their might be a way to escape" from Aogiri.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3