• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Inubaka: Crazy for Dogs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
It sounds like Viz really wanted to see this series to its end but that it sold poorly, and pressure from upstairs forced Viz to pull the plug. Inubaka sounds like the sort of series that'd be niche within niche: It is for manga readers who are also dog-lovers, and no one else. It's more surprising to me that Viz decided to give this series a try at all.

I mean...Viz is sticking with Hunter x Hunter, and that has a reputation for selling poorly in the west. I don't think Viz is the type of company that would let a series go unless there are circumstances beyond its control or its sales are atrocious. (Then again, maybe HxH's reputation is, ironically, helping it sell from people who want to see what the fuss is about.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quote
leafy: The problem isn't that Inubaka was for dog-lovers, but that it had an otaku bent to it. That, and it skewed to an older crowd. Not enough anime/manga fans here are into stories with real world settings, so it suffered badly. Though I guess it last longer than it might've have, considering its subject matter.

Quote:
I mean...Viz is sticking with Hunter x Hunter, and that has a reputation for selling poorly in the west.

Well, that's only 'cus they're sticking with reprinting stuff they already translated to keep up with renewed interest from the new tv series. That, and Togashi's hiatuses help them to avoid losing an arm and a leg publishing new volumes like with other manga.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
Considering that some officially released manga series here get canceled not even 1/2 way, 17 of 24 vol. released is good.

It's interesting that some scanlation sites have directly scanned the Viz vol. but I've only seen that go for the 1st 15 vol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2