• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ai: Tenchi Muyo! Anime Gets Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
If he'd only stuck to his "Shin Tenchi" novels instead of going off on all those side stories. Such a wasted opportunity I doubt he'll ever get again. So sad. Rolling Eyes

In my mind, there's still a massive opportunity to animate those novels. I don't know why that hasn't already been done.

Now, as to the requirements that Kajishima-sensei had to do GXP first, unfortunately, I can't cite that. As Mohawk said, Sensei did state in an interview that this would be the case. I believe there was other stuff that came out from Kajishima-sensei that stated that AIC based allowing Kajishima-sensei to do OVA 3 and WOG, he'd have to do the GXP TV series first. The speculation at the time was that because TV series are cheaper to produce, should it flop, AIC wouldn't be on the hook for as much. However, if a canon spinoff like GXP was successful, then AIC would be OK with the higher production costs of a new OVA series.

Again, I can't cite that, but I just remember being all over the place discussing this back in the day, including AIC's English forum.

jibrilmudo wrote:
Quote:
After OVA2, AIC and Pioneer saw the popularity of Hasegawa-sensei's spinoff novels, tested the waters with Mihoshi Special, then the floodgates got opened on spinoffs and their continuities.

Where do you guys ever get the popularity of the Hasegawa Novels from? I think you're all drinking too much Koolaid.

Her books have no ratings on amazon. Two out of 3 MK's True Tenchi Novels have more reviews than her entire 13 novel TM series combined.

And I won't discount any of that. I do think that back in the day, her novels had a certain level of popularity. After all, the publisher allowed her to write 13 novels, one of which became the movie Daughter of Darkness. Plus, her Kiyone character did achieve a fairly high level of popularity, though I have noticed that through the episodes I've watched of Ai Tenchi Muyo, she's not there (I'm a week behind).

Quote:
That's like saying the TM101 (released released May 30, 1994) made OAV2 possible because it came four months before OAV2 (ep8).

I know what you are saying. Of course, in the case of 101, that was written with the full knowledge that OVA 2 would be coming out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2