• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump Adds Yūki Tabata's Black Clover Fantasy Manga to Regular Line-Up

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
My Hero Academia also borrows a bit from Bleach in that story begins with the protagonist using borrowed power from a (mostly) depowered combatant, which turns out to be great physical force in small quantities. That could be a stretch though. On the other hand, My Hero Academia definitely feels timed with the trend of superhero movies. I'd bet Horikoshi created this premise to see if he could drum up interest in western manga readers.

However, MHA doesn't try to be something else. It feels like a story Horikoshi wants to tell, popular or not.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

*look at how the overall plot's been going; it's been tracing the steps of early Naruto. And this isn't a slam on MHA; it's doing an excellent job.
If you're going to bring up 'oh this character has a few different traits!''/'that relationship is a bit different this way!'/other micro-level details, that is a credit to Horikoshi presenting a new take. A successful fresh take would generally have you not notice without spending some time reflecting on it. Instead, what should be getting your attention is the author's own personal touches to the tale.

I really don't think it's that similar at all. I mean, you hagve a spikey-light haired hero with a lot of spunk, and a more low-key dark haired rival, and the hero wants to become a "something king" and is picked on for a general lack of ability, but that's about it.

The main guy is more of a Rock Lee than a Naruto, and his rival more a Shikamaru than a Sasuke. They have a rivalry, but it's much less menacing than NarutoxSasuke's. They are genuinely good friends, and the second male lead is far less of a dick, he's just mellow.

I'm not saying this as a fanboy of the series, I can honestly take it or leave it, I just find the similarities you guys seem so intent on to be way overblown. It's more Fairy Tail and other "magical world" series than it is Naruto.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
The bigger point is that we're still sitting here talking about what Black Clover compares to. We're not talking about whatever Tabata added to the story to make it his own, either because such elements are not there, or they're just not worth our attention.

If the talk is practically always about 'this thing is from X, this thing is from Y', then does the series even have its own merit to try standing on?
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've only read three chapters, there are some great series that took a dozen or more chapters to get going. it's far from my favorite series in Jump, but it's better than a lot of their also-rans, and I'm willing to give it a shot to earn a top spot.
Wayne.No

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:51 am Reply with quote
Yeahhhhhh. This one was by far my least favorite of the 4. The art is fine. I think the character designs were kinda uninspired though. I would have way gone for Ultra Battle Satellite or even Kagamigami over it. But I kinda knew it was gonna go this way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2