• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Ranked The World's Most Livable City

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
...the only reason why this exists is so the euro trash can feel superior when compared to the rest of the world. Don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with tokyo ...

Tokyo is not in Europe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
I thought the city occasionally has smog clouds...

Most Western news outlets don't cover the smog from China very often if ever anymore. Also, it's not livable if you are an animator, it can be a death sentence working for some of the studios.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
...the only reason why this exists is so the euro trash can feel superior when compared to the rest of the world. Don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with tokyo ...

Tokyo is not in Europe.
I know that but if you read the article last year was Denmark and most of the city's in the top 25 are in Europe. Rolling Eyes
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
electric car charging ports
What does this have to do with the price of gas? Next to nobody has an electric car, so factoring this into whether or not a city's "livable" is beyond dishonest. Did Elon Musk fund this?
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Sure must be more livable than Brazilian cities and their epidemic crime rates.

Though I also doubt it's possible to live alone in Tokyo with an animators' annual income. Unless you live with your parents/roomates I guess. Even in the US I think any major city is not inhabitable with income less than 15 grand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
Portland is only liveable if you are an artistic vegan. Other than that its a pain to get around and its only real value is "first fridays" and having no sales tax.

It also rains alot, making even the greenery seem grey. I also got to see Keiko before they let him go...then, well...yeah.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:18 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

Also, it's not livable if you are an animator, it can be a death sentence working for some of the studios.

Well to be fair, most people living in Tokyo aren't animators... And I don't think this is putting chosen occupation into consideration?
Sanyo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:31 am Reply with quote
It may be a nice place to live, but it's too expensive.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While Tokyo and Fukuoka rank high in the "livable" city survey, the people of Japan as a whole ranks #46 in overall happiness.

is my favourite part fo the artice by far as i am not surprised.

The world's safest cities
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/11383805/The-worlds-safest-cities.html

1. Tokyo, Japan
2. Singapore
3. Osaka, Japan
4. Stockholm, Sweden
5. Amsterdam, Holland
6. Sydney, Australia
7. Zurich, Switzerland
8. Toronto, Canada
9. Melbourne, Australia
10. New York, USA
and http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/city-guides/tokyo-travel-basics/

The opposite would be the real Silent Hill:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania Est. Pop. 2013: 7
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
I was pretty sure that Tokyo was incredibly expensive as a city and would henceforth be knocked down pretty hard for a "most livable" list. I don't know if I'm wrong or if this list doesn't weigh in on finances as much.

The whole thing about Tokyo being exceptionally expensive is a bit of a myth. I wouldn't call it "cheap" but the reputation is largely based on an out-of-date truth. Back in the 1980s Tokyo was the most expensive city in the world by far. Since then Japan has undergone almost 30 years of recession, with very little inflation. The other mega-cities have caught up. San-Francisco and New York are easilly more expensive than Tokyo.

Rent in Tokyo is quite reasonable, as long as you adapt to Japanese standard. What the average person in Tokyo spends on rent is actually quite low, their apartments are just smaller than in many other places.

Real Estate in the suburbs is quite reasonable. A middle class family can afford a home.

Food for 1 is quite affordable. You can eat out every day and not break the bank... but shopping for a family of 4 is definitely more expensive than in most other first world countries.

Transportation is expensive. Period. But also pretty awesome. The roads are great, traffic's not bad and the public transit is exceptionally convenient.

Etc...
SnowCentaur

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Tokyo is not that expensive. It's a myth. For example, you can eat out decently for 600-700 Yen, compared to Zurich where you'd at least have to shell out at least twice of that. Actually, Switzerland is more expensive on almost all accounts.

As for Tokyo being livable... EEEHHHHH... Speaking as an exchange student (note that these are my personal experiences):
- Being blond and pale makes you subject to a lot of weird treatment.
- Being a girl makes it even more obvious.
In other words, racism and sexism is, I'm sorry, pretty rampant.
- The stress levels are off the charts.
- The morning commute is hell. Squeezing into those trains is nightmarish.
- Women's carreer chances are slim if they want a family, and if they give up on family for the sake of their career they're ostracised as a non-woman.
- People marry out of societal pressure. (Based on many conversations I've had with Japanese) In other words, pure love marriage seems to be pretty rare.
- The pressure to look good is extreme (especially for women). Heck people are surprised at my logic "cold weather means pants, warm weather means skirt".

Japan has many good points to, absolutely, but having lived in other places too (Sweden and Switzerland) I have to strongly disagree with Tokyo being the most livable city.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Guys realize there's more than one standard survey with these things
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Food for 1 is quite affordable. You can eat out every day and not break the bank... but shopping for a family of 4 is definitely more expensive than in most other first world countries.

FWIH, most food shopping is either done through the omnipresent convenience store, or in the larger groceries, the food goes through more distributors and handlers before it reaches the shelves than in the US--Meaning, more overhead and higher prices.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote
Ranking like this is fun to read and discuss, but shouldn't be taken too seriously.

This was done by magazine reporters in order to have content to publish in the magazine. The criteria used was selected by the magazine. The information used to arrive at the rankings was undoubtedly taken from a variety of sources, some more reliable than others. A lot was probably self published by the cities themselves.

Fun as a basis for discussion but nothing to be taken as gospel truth.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Most liveable city? Tokyo? Were this magazine's editors completely smashed when they decided on that? Or did they just randomly throw a dart at a globe?
Monocle is London's version of "The New Yorker". Bunch of bohemian posh tarts who think that because they grew up in upper middle class and higher travelling the world on Daddy's credit card that they know what makes a city great whilst looking through their rose coloured specticles, or monocle. I say "you love it so much move there unsupported and see how you get on for a year, or two then come back and write a report about it." Plum mouth tw@s. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2