• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds English-Subtitled Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
PusoPimp wrote:
Still no season 0 eh?
"Season 0" was a different production altogether. The international rights probably belong to a completely different company.
PusoPimp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote
I see, thought it was weird that it's color palette was so different. That explains it. Wonder if it'll ever have a legit US release.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
Wish they would've finished the uncut dub. I could be blessed with Dan Greens Yugi. Shame it's either the heavily edited dub or the uncut sub.
Yuki Imouto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quote
Yeah! Screw 4Kids and their edits!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
Man...it's been suuuuuch a long time since I've seen Yu-Gi-Oh. I'm sure fans are happy about its new release here.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:14 am Reply with quote
It's about time! Now I can finally throw out my bootleg DVDs!

...Nah. Laughing Too many good memories.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
Too bad they might not add "Screw the rules, I have money!"
Jess-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I always wanted to see Yugi-oh uncut! Here's to Pokemon subbed officially!
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
PusoPimp wrote:
Still no season 0 eh?
"Season 0" was a different production altogether. The international rights probably belong to a completely different company.

First of all Season 0 isn't legally available anywhere, not even in Japan. And the series was never entirely released on Home Video.

Season 0 was made by Toei Animation. Everything else was made Studio Gallop. Studio Gallop never purchased Season 0 from Toei Animation, so if anyone (including Toei) releases 0 they would get sued cause they no longer have the rights to the 'Yu-Gi-Oh!' trademark.

The only way for it to become legally available is for Studio Gallop to purchase it from Toei (that's if they still even have it), which is extremely unlikely. They'd be better off just re-making it, which is also very unlikely.

Just give up on that idea. It will never be available legally again.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
While I'm satisfied that the subtitled version of Yu-Gi-Oh is finally available for American viewers, I'm curious as to how Crunchyroll managed to have allowance to run the show. If I correctly recall, wasn't Yūgi's Japanese seiyuu not wanting his voice being heard outside of Japan the reason that the Japanese version of Yu-Gi-Oh was initially unavailable for American viewing?
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
There's clearly an audience for the uncut version of this series, I don't get why they don't redub it already, along with most of 4Kids-dubbed series. I know they want to sell toys first and foremost but I don't think YuGiOh has anything too objectionable unless you're one of those PC a-holes.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
If I correctly recall, wasn't Yūgi's Japanese seiyuu not wanting his voice being heard outside of Japan the reason that the Japanese version of Yu-Gi-Oh was initially unavailable for American viewing?

Yugi's seiyuu was fine with it (which was why Bonds Beyond Times' DVD release included the subtitled Japanese alongside the dub), the issue was with his agency. They didn't want his work to be available via streaming which was why the subs originally got pulled. 4K Media knew there was interest in the subtitled version however, so they tried to work out some way they could get the subs back up. And apparently, they finally lucked out.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
^
So it was actually the talent agency that didn't want his voice being heard out of Japan if it was being streamed, then, hmm...Alright, thanks for clearing that up. Smile
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Jess-chan wrote:
Wow, I always wanted to see Yugi-oh uncut! Here's to Pokemon subbed officially!

4k media does not own Pokemon so it's a little unlikely, still Yugioh getting a subtitled release is pretty surprising, considering the whole franchise had been targeted towards kids (despite the dark elements from the Japanese version it's still a kid's show)
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:33 am Reply with quote
I'm not that surprised honestly, since 4K Media has been wanting to get subs for all the Yugioh series since 2009. There was also that short-lived uncut dub/sub release back in 2004-2005 as well.

Hagaren Viper wrote:
Well that was kinda out of the blue, you'd think they would have announced this with GX subs as well. Weird how there's so few eps, it seems like they pumped out 5Ds pretty hard. Hopefully Zexal and ArcV follow though!

The timing makes sense, considering it was a special day. Kazuki hardly ever makes con appearances, and they were already going to have a lot of press with all the info released about the upcoming movie. And actually Crunchyroll only pumped about 19 episodes for 5D's. 4K Media had been subbing it since 2011 via Hulu, and had already gotten up to episode 135 before they suddenly stopped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3