• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Doesn't Anime Have Deleted Scenes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen any of the deleted scenes for Family Guy or Robot Chicken, but I'm going to guess that most of them are probably 'fake' - either they created them specifically for the extras, or they were scrapped back in storyboarding or even writing/brainstorming and were animated later for the extras.

The reason I say this is for exactly the reasons Justin explained with anime - animation is such a painstaking process. Movies shoot lots and lots of scenes and shoot them out of order, and the run time is not set in stone, so there's a lot of wiggle room for adding or removing scenes. But if you're going to delete or change a scene in an anime, it's probably going to be done long before it's finished being animated.

I can't remember which movie specifically, but I have a Disney movie or two with "deleted scenes", and they're just the storyboards that were dubbed over. Or in the case of The Lion King, they created a new scene with "The Morning Report" from the musical and called it a "deleted scene". (It's obvious it was made way after the fact, since Simba's voice is different)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
An exception to this is if you count 4kids/4K-style edits where entire scenes might even be omitted.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I can't remember which movie specifically, but I have a Disney movie or two with "deleted scenes", and they're just the storyboards that were dubbed over.

Little Mermaid and Frozen had a few like that, and they're either storyboard or extremely crude animatic. The reason they're with audio is that obviously the way western animation is conducted is to record line first and animate to match.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
There is an extra seen included with the extra's on Madman's release of Royal Space Force (edited out for length and that it wasn't part of the core story).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
SarcotarascusN wrote:
It's like how when you see "deleted scenes" in the DVDs for American animated movies, most of them are at the storyboard level with dialogue superimposed (a bit like the last episode of Evangelion). This was true in the DVD release of The Incredibles, for example: in that particular case, there's one scene (a longer version of the post-crash sequence in which Syndrome's goons fly over them) which has actual animation, but you can see that there's a lot of unfinished touches, particularly that Violet is bald...I read that her hair took so much work to animate that it was always the last thing finished, and it shows in that scene.

Violet's hair required a year from a team dedicated solely to hair physics to get it to look natural. There's a Special Features short that shows footage of Violet and her hair at various stages of completion of the program they created.

Pixar would get another headache dealing with Merida's curly hair in Brave though.

Gasero wrote:
Considering how much work goes into 2D animation, I doubt they would make time for deleted scenes. There seems to be barely enough content for regular series animation, so extra animation would waste a lot wouldn't it?

I can see voiceover outtakes being common, but how often are those funny?

Voiceover outtakes would be desynched from the animation too, which would be ugly no matter what.

As far as deleted scenes in 2-D animation, I acquire a lot of western animation in season sets, and the majority of them have at least one deleted scene (South Park is the only exception). One season of The Simpsons had so much removed footage, it was almost 20 minutes--an entire episode's worth. They were in various states of completion though. Some were still on the animatic phase, some had sound effects added in, some were nearly complete, some WERE complete, and some were still only on the storyboards.

EricJ2 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
They can be pretty noticeable in some cases, as they're frequently ultra-racy "too hot for TV" fanservice scenes that're memorable for one reason or another. For instance, the 2003 action/harem series Lime-iro Senkitan goes from moderately ecchi in the TV version to borderline hentai on DVD, thanks to its added scenes.

Which can also be the case with the poster's examples of Robot Chicken and Family Guy, whose "edgy" gags may have tried to push the envelope with Fox and CN, and ended up getting a paper cut.
(Also for time constrictions, commercial time, etc.)

That is a real and pretty common technique in order to get certain things past the censors: They put in something so shocking or so obviously obscene that the censors focus on that and not something else, or they put in something more toned down that the censors would've still objected to if it weren't for them already seeing something so much more offensive.

This was something that the DCAU team and Mainframe Entertainment would do all the time. For that Batman Beyond story where the original Joker returns, for instance, they knew the censors would not allow Joker to be killed off onscreen under normal circumstances. So they submitted a scene of Joker getting shot with a gun, which is most definitely a no-no. So they replaced it with a scene of Joker getting electrocuted painfully, which was now okay.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Or in the case of The Lion King, they created a new scene with "The Morning Report" from the musical and called it a "deleted scene". (It's obvious it was made way after the fact, since Simba's voice is different)

Both "Morning Report" from Lion King and "Human Again" from Beauty & the Beast were from the Broadway shows, and animated from scratch to be inserted into the 00's IMAX reissues as bonus scenes.
But, yeah, can't "delete" what was never in there at the beginning.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
For that Batman Beyond story where the original Joker returns, for instance, they knew the censors would not allow Joker to be killed off onscreen under normal circumstances. So they submitted a scene of Joker getting shot with a gun, which is most definitely a no-no. So they replaced it with a scene of Joker getting electrocuted painfully, which was now okay.

That was ridiculously STUPID. That electrocution scene scarred my childhood, I am not kidding. I watched violent westerns with my dad all the time back then and saw people get shot up and this disturbed me far more than those ever would.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:07 am Reply with quote
You'll still have alternate takes of some shots that get reanimated at some point. As others have mentioned, you can even still find the cels for some older examples. You have it for all cartoons. I own a couple cels from Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island and Witches' Ghost respectively, and neither is present in the finished films, though very similar ones are. Those had had fairly large budgets too, and probably had more freedom to tweak and redo some shots here and there. The original preview for Zombie Island has some complete shots that never made it into the final film.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:00 am Reply with quote
I'd say the "re-take" of Madoka: Rebellion is a pretty nice exception to the usual rules. The "1st take" version of the film, which had a few small lines voiced just barely differently throughout the film, but then had a drastic change in tone at the end of the film, uses all of the scenes present in the final animated version included on the BD/DVD, even though it was taken with a previous version (assumed to be more similar to the theater release before the touching-up for the home release). So the "deleted scenes" included as a bonus are actually meant to show us how the voice acting was changed for the final version.
And it was no small change. If they had kept it, many people would've probably been bug-eyed at the screen. The change was made so we didn't get the wrong impression of a character... or rather, so we would be less likely to get that wrong impression. But the voice acting 1st take was included as a bonus simply because the voice actress did an extremely compelling session that was probably just too good NOT to share with the world.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Animation in general rarely has deleted scenes, and if the BDs/DVDs have them included, they're only ever gotten to the sketches or maybe a simple animatic whether the movie was analog or 3DCG. The decision to cut always comes before any real time or money is spent, so you're not going to see a fully animated and colored sequence of a Disney film that's been cut.

I watched a deleted scene from Disney's Robin Hood with my niece not too long ago, and imagine her confusion when it was dialogue recorded over rough sketches with no color. It isn't easy trying to explain why it looked that way to a four-year-old.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it's just urban legend, but supposedly there's a deleted scene from Gunsmith Cats. Apparently it's a clip of May Hopkins bound and gagged in a motel room spoiler[and was supposed to have been dropped in between the scene where Rally is in muscle-car pursuit of Radenov and a kidnapped May, which would make sense because it's unlikely the car chase went on for about 12 hours (started during the day, goes through the night, and then it's day again).] I figure Radenov gave Rally the slip and hid out in a cheap motel room with May in tow.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
That was ridiculously STUPID. That electrocution scene scarred my childhood, I am not kidding. I watched violent westerns with my dad all the time back then and saw people get shot up and this disturbed me far more than those ever would.

It was partially a middle finger to the censors. Bruce Timm and Paul Dini state in interviews repeatedly that whenever censors called for the removal of a scene, they would try to find a loophole that would produce something even more graphic. (Petty, it is, but this is really commonplace and oftentimes impossible to notice. This is the reason behind the line "I haven't been ****ed like that since elementary school!" in Fight Club, for instance.)

Me, I wasn't too disturbed by it (I grew up watching horror films with my father, so very little truly disturbs me), but I can see that some kids would've been scared.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

It was partially a middle finger to the censors. Bruce Timm and Paul Dini state in interviews repeatedly that whenever censors called for the removal of a scene, they would try to find a loophole that would produce something even more graphic. (Petty, it is, but this is really commonplace and oftentimes impossible to notice. This is the reason behind the line "I haven't been ****ed like that since elementary school!" in Fight Club, for instance.)

Me, I wasn't too disturbed by it (I grew up watching horror films with my father, so very little truly disturbs me), but I can see that some kids would've been scared.

Oh wow, didn't know that! I see what you're saying. Surprised

Also for me the fact that Harley "died" just a few moments before in the matter that she apparently did kind of added to the trauma, haha, even if at the end it turns out she didn't.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I still prefer the original cut of that scene, but I found an interesting analysis of the change in a comment on a video of the edited cut:
Quote:
I think the point of the censor is to put the responsibly of the Joker's death on himself, and be an accident
The how is definitely fitting in with the middle finger approach to dealing with S&P.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this counts as a deleted scene, but why is it sometimes you get a trailer for an anime movie but the scenes in the trailer are almost entirely different from the finished material? I think of like the original trailers for Mewtwo Strikes Back and the first Inuyasha movie and more recently with the original preview for Evangelion 3.0
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3