• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Studio Trigger

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Imaishi technically *is* on Adult Swim - he directed the opening sequence of the Black Dynamite tv show.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
So, we would have a possible pseudo-fujoshi/possibly gar series? I haven't really seen the series and this is why I ask. One reason I haven't the series is the lack of a human/humanoid male lead that's a love interest for the female lead. This is 1 of my preferred tropes.

That's part of why I liked Kill la Kill: A female character who has no real romantic interest. That's something I'm tired of seeing, especially if it has no narrative reason to exist in the story.

whiskeyii wrote:
This really makes me wonder if the fanservice level was the same during its "all-male" version. XDDD

Yeah, that was the first thing that came to mind when I read that part. Nakedness is also a large part of the series too. I wonder if Mikisugi was originally still going to be male, for that matter.

keichitsu0305 wrote:
Pughhead wrote:
"So we just changed the sex of the cast to female,"- brilliant; best decision ever.

I don't completely believe that because that would imply they intended a male!Ryuko to wear the stripper-ish outfit the whole time. Which would have been interesting but still there has to be more than that in the planning process. I'm surprised they didn't mentioned Cutey Honey in the interview even as a tongue in cheek homage to Go Nagai.
Quote:
Yoshinari: We wanna become like Pixar, or P.A. Works, or Kyo-Ani.

In terms of being beloved by animation fans, having stellar visuals, and gaining a following so quickly with hit shows/films, yeah I'll buy that. But, Pixar has always been a family friendly CGI animation studio, P.A. Works are more malleable with different genres & have more intimate narratives rather than bombastic spectacles, and KyoAni has been the darling among otaku (and now) fujoshi fans. I wished he could have been more specific in how Trigger aims to remain relevant within the Japanese animation market rather than name three totally different studios.

I can imagine having a whole show of men wearing revealing outfits. It could work.

The other studios can do what they do because they are much, much larger than Studio Trigger. Currently, Studio Trigger is at start-up level as far as staff and resources go. Then again so was Pixar when it made Toy Story. But yeah, the focus for Studio Trigger and for the others are so far away from each other that it'd be comparing apples and oranges.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:20 am Reply with quote
I would have preferred Triggers take on the "Otome genre" way more. At least it would have been something fresh and it would have been interning to see how it would have fared too.
Not that any part of Gainax knows how to budget or be responsible with money. I wonder if the studio will focus on scriptwriting in the future as that isn´t that expensive and they don´t have enough money as of now to go as hog wild with direction as they want to.
KlK was a thematic amalgamation of everything the writer and director did to that point (including their manga work) so the next one could be inserting but i 100% see a sequel in their future.
My interest is low but they need money and it has an open ending with red hearings.
@leafy sea Dragon I can´t see Trigger focusing much on romantic plots in their future works as all the leading people don´t have a real history with such and there are currently a lot of predominantly female shows with zero romance due to Moe boom and all the Queens Blade clones. Not that they are good or anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:54 am Reply with quote
So in other words the only way we'll ever get that fabled second season of Panty and Stocking is if it exclusively airs on Adult Swim. *hint hint.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:22 am Reply with quote
Pughhead wrote:
"So we just changed the sex of the cast to female,"- brilliant; best decision ever.

well unfortunately that have been the MO since nanoha. otakus now want female characters in yuri aspects. and its more so when it came to ryuko and mako's relationship.especially in the ending.

Quote:
Imaishi: And it would possibly be too much for the audience as well. But it's like, if we could air something on Adult Swim, we probably wouldn't hold back at all.

HA! that have to be the only times i actually felt sorry for them if they ever went that route. cause unfortunately,the AS Standard & Practices would seriously restrain any chances of them not holding back at all. otherwise panty and stocking would have already have been released on Adult Swim UNCENSORED!

I'm afraid that imaishi would have to forget about that idea unless their next project is something like kill la kill.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
So, we would have a possible pseudo-fujoshi/possibly gar series? I haven't really seen the series and this is why I ask. One reason I haven't the series is the lack of a human/humanoid male lead that's a love interest for the female lead. This is 1 of my preferred tropes.

That's part of why I liked Kill la Kill: A female character who has no real romantic interest. That's something I'm tired of seeing, especially if it has no narrative reason to exist in the story.

That's especially true when considering Kill la Kill follows your shounen action tropes which tends to be mostly guy-heavy. Having a mostly female-led cast in that genre makes it a real treat though I wish it becomes more of a norm.
redranger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I really hope the animation in their next show is much better. Kill la kill's animation was complete and utter garbage. A real shame too because it had a good story and Ryuko was great.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

Yep, I completely agree with you.
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
I really hope the animation in their next show is much better. Kill la kill's animation was complete and utter garbage. A real shame too because it had a good story and Ryuko was great.

I had no complaints about Inou Battle's animation at all, although unfortunately the writing (again) was a bit of a mess.
maddynamite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
This really makes me wonder if the fanservice level was the same during its "all-male" version. XDDD

If it was going to be anything like Part II of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, it would have been fantastic.

Now I'm going to spend the rest of my life wishing for an alternate-universe KlK with males Anime cry
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
redranger wrote:

I had no complaints about Inou Battle's animation at all, although unfortunately the writing (again) was a bit of a mess.

Am I the only one here who thinks that the already awesome watch that is Ninja Slayer would be better if all of it was animated in a fluid form, like say, many of Koki's scenes?
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
And now i know why none of the characters (besides Mako´s mother) felt or behaved like women. Can´t say i am surprised as sex sells and so on.
Ninja Slayer is actually good and the fist half of KlK was fun but they need to team up with some of their previous Gainax goons to regain former glory. I understand that Trigger is actually successfully but none of their products so far came close to what the studio heads did in the 00s and i frankly lost hope in the studio from a writing standpoint.

I haven't seen KLK yet, so I don't know exactly what are you talking about... But I do believe there are women for just about anything. They are part of this madhouse called Humanity after all...
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Imaishi wrote:
But it's like, if we could air something on Adult Swim, we probably wouldn't hold back at all.

For the love of god Jason DeMarco, you'd better be reading this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
trigger nto holding back would be somethign like panty and stocking, or for a more recent example the murder crocodile, something short in teh japan animator expo, that has the bottomless girl raping all the male characters she can.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2