• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Production I.G Acquires FLCL Rights For Ventures Such as Anime Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
How would you "remake" something like FLCL, of all things?

Wouldn't a remake of random things happening just be more random things happening? Neutral
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
Sanyo wrote:
Weren't there 2 volumes of the manga, and only the first volume was animated?
The anime came first; it wasn't an adaptation of any pre-existing work.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
Well better Production I.G. than anyone else, I suppose. Still...

What world have you been living on? Production I.G is probably the most respected anime studio by North America fans.

And their even bigger in Japan. I've lost count on how many times I've seen their works dominate the top 10 charts in last year alone. But they deserve it, they are really incredible
anddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS THE NEWS I COME HOPING TO FIND
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
Welp, I officially have zero reason left to care about gainax (ok just kidding, I already barely think of them studio wise)

Still I'm not sure how I feel about this, FLCL was something like a crazed drunken accident that went horribly right and I'm not sure if that kind of thunder can strike twice. Will it be a shallow imitation? Will it be even crazier? Will I care since most of the people who gave the show it's visual appeal that I love are mostly at studio trigger? We shall see, but now's a good a time as ever to get a reminder to buy the series. I've been wanting to do so but I never had the funds in order.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
I guess I don't see the point. From what I've heard, the success of FLCL came as a surprise, which makes it seem like it would be difficult to recapture what worked. Making the same thing, but nicer looking, seems unnecessary. I don't think it was ever intended to be pretty to look at.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
That is just weird... Why not make a sequel instead of a remake? A prequel with Eyebrows as the main character would make more sense also.

The remake is just going to drag stuff out then I guess? It is like someone said "You know Hemingway's short story 'The Snows of Kilimanjaro' was great, lets buy the rights and rewrite it as a novel!"
I wholeheartedly agree with this and others that a remake would be the worst and dangerous from a PR perspective, 90% could hate 10% love (??). Do a sequel since the show set it up so squarely for it, a prequel with Commander Amarao as a proto-Naota if you must but that would still be a relatively bad idea. And yesssss, Pillows on the soundtrack and Keri Wahlgren is an absolute MUST for Haruko. Mamimi would be interesting as an adult but (I dunno) and Konti needs to be in on it I think. Other requirements: no bishoujo or bishounen, No Chibi's, over the top craziness and "sekishi-ness" if I.G. can really do it, don't rename to "I can't believe a crazy sexy alien lady who made me fall for her as a kid and then took off showed back up again for a second round"

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Idk how I would feel if they do decide to make a remake. Can it really improve from the original FLCL? Production I.G. is one of my favorite studios though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I have serious misgivings about this. While I'm not as huge a fan of FLCL as some others, it is a title whose production I greatly respect and I cannot imagine it being down adequately in any other way by anyone else.

Unquestionably, though, a remake would be the most talked-about and anticipated title of whatever season it comes out in, even if that anticipation was laced with dread. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wohdin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
FLCL does not need a remake. FLCL is flawless.

I could imagine a very loose and abstract re-interpretation of FLCL, or even like a sequel/prequel, but for them to try to do a strict remake of it would be an enormous mistake.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I have serious misgivings about this. While I'm not as huge a fan of FLCL as some others, it is a title whose production I greatly respect and I cannot imagine it being down adequately in any other way by anyone else.

Unquestionably, though, a remake would be the most talked-about and anticipated title of whatever season it comes out in, even if that anticipation was laced with dread. . .

Aw, c'mon!...What's WRONG with new remakes of old 90's series we all grew up on watching on US TV?
Even if we're all buzzing with hype and expectation, it's not like they're going to ruin it, or anything! Laughing

(And yes, I'm just temporarily borrowing that metaphor to placate the people who actually liked FLCL, and didn't find it too insufferably deficited with its own attention to itself.
There's a point at which ref-gags just turn into self-boredom, and when that happens, the director makes up for it by turning the hyperactivity up to 12 or 15 to keep himself interested.)
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
FLCL is one of those works that seems to have such a unique voice to it, you just can't imagine someone else trying to express the same thing in a way that doesn't come across at least slightly disingenuous.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
As a huge coincidence, i'm actually watching through FLCL for the first time right now (i like the animation, soundtrack, and character development, but the story is at Donnie Darko levels of imcomprehensibility). I have to wonder, what is there for a remake to add?

For stuff like HxH or FMA:B, there's at least additional original content to get through. The primary appeal of FLCL, at least to me, is its weird and striking direction. If they're not bringing back the director, what's the point? And why would the director come back, anyway? What on earth is there to tell?

I have to agree with @Key here, i don't see how this could go well. At best, it will be as good as the original, in which case why shouldn't we just see the original?
Kreion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
FLCL does not need a remake. FLCL is flawless.

I could imagine a very loose and abstract re-interpretation of FLCL, or even like a sequel/prequel, but for them to try to do a strict remake of it would be an enormous mistake.

Haha, FLCL certainly isn't flawless - it does what it does and I personally don't like it but can at least say "Okay, it is what it is.". I wouldn't even call it that great of a show, but again that's more personal preference.

I do agree it doesn't need a remake. All the FLCL is and wants to be is expressed in the short anime that it is - the interpretation of the show is left up to the audience and that's it.
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
People, remember that FLCL was made in a cooperation between Gainax and Production I.G!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5