• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Code Geasscast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
BluExocet wrote:
Alright, so I'm a little confused about the Pizza Hut thing. I never watched the show as it was airing and only watched the whole thing as a set on dvd waaaaay later. And I know there's an obsession with pizza in the show, but there are zero Pizza Hut logos on the DVD copies.

Was it just a product placement thing?

Yes. Pizza Hut was a sponsor for the show in Japan, but not in other areas, so using the logo would have been possible grounds for a trademark lawsuit. C.C. eating so much pizza was just a way to get that logo in the show on a frequent basis.

And this AMV pretty much iced it for the fandom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzMctd8bb20
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I've been reluctant to finish Code Geass season 2 because I do not want to sully my memory of enjoying the series. At least the spin-offs have been entertaining.

P.S: The ANNcast icon for this episode is cool.

Last edited by Gasero on Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
BluExocet wrote:
Was it just a product placement thing?

It is worth noting that Pizza Hut was super involved in anime at one point. Between 2007 and 2008, they sponsored Evangelion, Code Geass, The Sky Crawlers, Maria Watches Over Us, Crazy Shrine Maidens, and Macross Frontier. (Here's an ANN link from 2008 about it.)

I remember "lesbian schoolgirls love pizza" being a meme among yuri fans, to the point where The Girl Who Leapt Through Space did this:

Edit: rehosted image.

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, After listening to the majority of the podcast, I feel that I will have to reverse the opinion I had of Code Geass as a high schooler from "it's good but not great" to "it's horrible but at least it's not Valvrave".

Looking back at the "themes" of the show, it feels so low grade: it doesn't talk about Zero as a symbol, it doesn't deal with the lies that Lelouch makes, it doesn't deal with the conflict between means and ends. Compared to my new favorite of Fate/Zero, it feels cheap

The characters aren't much better. I used to like Lelouch but looking back, he is not complex, he's just a self-indulgent anti-hero fantasy that revolves around being the smartest person ever. In addition, I used to like Kallen a lot but now, she just seems so lacking especially compared Ami Koshimizu's other role: Holo the Wisewolf who shares Kallen's snarky and lively personality.

The writing is full of the twists for twists sake that I hate Valvrave for: the Euphemia incident, the Zero exile, and Shirley's death.

If I had to recommend a Sunrise mecha show, I would go with Gundam Unicorn since it's characters are stronger, better writing and more natural exploration of themes
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Also thought the point on the whole ideal badass v.s. strawman thing was an interesting point in comparison to some of the show's successors. Particularly in that despite being worse about practically everything else, Valvrave was kind of the most balanced in that respect as far as it's leads went, even though it had a lot less to say.

Are you joking? VVV are the very opposite of balance when it came to that because Haruto was virtually weak and had no say in anything to the point where he was a butt monkey through the whole thing even in the final battle it was L-Elf who pulled the slack. Both leads were terrible because they represent what's wrong with these sort of duo MC narratives by making one stronger than the other. While its obvious that you, Zac, and Hope missed the point if you thought Lelouch was right or you were suppose to follow his idealogy, when the show and the creators both said that was never the case, I don't see how you could think VVV was more balanced in that regard.

Divineking wrote:
In that same respect though I'd say the worst of the clones in regards to how that dynamic is treated was Aldnoah Zero even though it didn't have any of the Code Geass staff on it as far as I know. It was a similar dynamic, but the show turned Slaine into so much of a strawman in the second half that it had to almost retroactively rewrite his character to make him more of the villain and by extension make Inaho look better. Honestly I kinda wish the imitations would stop and we'd see mecha do something kinda new again, but as was said on the podcast the formula works too well with anime's core teen demographic to ever stop making clones. Eh, maybe someday.

And this is just flat out wrong especially since A/Z was about Slaine while Inaho was largely irrelevant and his view didn't really which is why their "rivalry" was so lazy. It was CG if Lelouch took center stage and wasn't sharing the spotlight with Suzaku since it wouldn't be a battle of idealogies just how to break a character down to zero which was the point of the title according to Aoki. Anyways both shows were horrible for a number of reasons.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
If I had to recommend a Sunrise mecha show, I would go with Gundam Unicorn since it's characters are stronger, better writing and more natural exploration of themes

Agreed. Unicorn is the first Gundam series I bothered to buy on DVD since Wing.

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I think everyone is sort of missing the point.

Watch the last picture drama and the Miraculous Birthday OVA. I hate to tell anyone to pirate anything, and it's probably a hassle to find the Japanese edition at this point, and I wouldn't hold my breath for FUNi to include it on their release (if anyone from FUNi is reading this, I will buy a copy for everyone I know, but only if all the picture dramas/OVAs are on it).
But anyway, the end of the Miraculous Birthday OVA and the final picture drama show what the real point of the story is.

The point isn't who wins a fight and how. The point is that everyone needs to be together and not fight. And that sometimes, the world is cruel, and it become necessary to fight, but that it's not wrong to dream of a peaceful world, and to work towards that. It is a hopeful message, and it's one that people today don't seem to understand.

I feel like just about every corner of the internet is filled with people who go into this expecting something, and just find what they expect. There are people who go in looking for a trainwreck, and they get a trainwreck. There are people who go in looking for a Draco in Leather Pants, and they find that. There are people who go in looking for a prince/knight D/s slash ship, and they find that. But this isn't the kind of story you can do that with. You need to drop your expectations and see it for what it is. It's also not the sort of thing you can watch once and really understand. These aren't things than modern anime fans - or anyone else today - are used to doing, but these are the things that make art worthwhile. I really wish there were anyone willing to have that level of discussion about it.

I actually just really wish someone could bring up Code Geass without someone else bringing up Death Note, because they really have nothing in common other than that the main characters do "evil" laughs, but that's how shallow people are, I guess.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:
Aylinn wrote:
I thought that Lulu was just fun to watch action hero. He had plenty of genius* plans, ideas and a well-defined goal. All of it works really well in an action oriented series. It allows for plenty of action and the main character to stay in the spotlight.

His genius is questionable, but it doesn’t matter here.

He's in action hero that does not participate in battles nor does anything heroic and he's a genius even though he messes up all the time. Right.

I don't consider Lulu to be a genius, but whatever, and my idea of an action hero is not narrowed to a character who can kick asses.

Last edited by Aylinn on Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
lavmintrose wrote:

The point isn't who wins a fight and how. The point is that everyone needs to be together and not fight. And that sometimes, the world is cruel, and it become necessary to fight, but that it's not wrong to dream of a peaceful world, and to work towards that. It is a hopeful message, and it's one that people today don't seem to understand.

The show's ending isn't as cookie cutter as that especially when the "peace" is built upon yet another stack of lies in itself or that their reasons were entirely selfish according to Tanguichi and Okiuchi. You weren't suppose to feel glad that Lelouch died or that Suzaku must live on as a symbol for the rest of his life you're suppose to feel sad that both of these characters were too long gone at that point for someone to point out the stupidity in their plan or to well help them (Euphie was gonna do this with Suzaku but we all know what happened with that...) which makes the outcome all the more tragic. To its merit it doesn't try to paint the situation in light since the world is still in need of fixing and not everyone is getting along unlike say A/Z which completely asspulled a happy ending at the expense of its own internal logic and tagline but I don't think the message is as simple as that comedic picture drama intended as such.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
lavmintrose wrote:
Lelouch not just ordering everyone to obey him forever isn't a plot hole. That's him having respect for people. He kills people sometimes, and he gets most of the progress he makes by robbing people of their free will, but that doesn't mean he's just heartless and evil.
It kinda does, actually! Respect for people is built on respecting their right to life and free will, among other things. It's been a while since I've seen this but I'm fairly certain he uses his classmates as experiments on the effects of the geass without their knowledge; there's nothing about "respect for people" in there. Lelouch tries to convince himself that he's justified and all that but he makes it clear that he will trample anything necessary for his ambition.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:

Are you joking? VVV are the very opposite of balance when it came to that because Haruto was virtually weak and had no say in anything to the point where he was a butt monkey through the whole thing even in the final battle it was L-Elf who pulled the slack. Both leads were terrible because they represent what's wrong with these sort of duo MC narratives by making one stronger than the other. While its obvious that you, Zac, and Hope missed the point if you thought Lelouch was right or you were suppose to follow his idealogy, when the show and the creators both said that was never the case, I don't see how you could think VVV was more balanced in that regard.

When I said "more balanced" I meant the show was at least slightly nicer to Haruto as opposed to Suzaku who's punished for practically everything. He's still generally considered a twit while L-Elf is the super genius or whatever but he's punished less and at least occasionally given more of a chance to defend his view. Of course in the end I still think the show's terrible, and doesn't make nearly enough use of the dual protagonist angle, but it's less mean spirited about it than the other Geass clones

Quote:

And this is just flat out wrong especially since A/Z was about Slaine while Inaho was largely irrelevant and his view didn't really which is why their "rivalry" was so lazy. It was CG if Lelouch took center stage and wasn't sharing the spotlight with Suzaku since it wouldn't be a battle of idealogies just how to break a character down to zero which was the point of the title according to Aoki. Anyways both shows were horrible for a number of reasons.

Not to be mean about it or anything but I'm pretty darn sure the show at least tried to be as much about Inaho as Slaine. It failed mind you as I personally found Inaho to be as interesting as watching paint dry, and they retroactively refused to have him change as a character spoiler[(unless turning him into an actual robot counts)] but it tried. The show reinforced his world view at several points in the story, making him out to be this super awesome badass, and tried to give him some level of "depth" which usually meant having other characters interpret what little emotions he had. In comparison, Slane's "character journey" was mainly just a way to bluntly hammer in the show's message by turning him into the villain and thus absolutely proving Inaho right without having to actually do anything with him as a character despite pretending to. It's made all the worse by how ridiculously smug the ending is about it and as such it's definitely my least favorite of the imitators.

But anyways yeah, both shows were terrible. Give me Code Geass any day of the week.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
lavmintrose wrote:
I actually just really wish someone could bring up Code Geass without someone else bringing up Death Note, because they really have nothing in common other than that the main characters do "evil" laughs, but that's how shallow people are, I guess.

I'm not sure it's "shallow" to think that two series are similar when they are both about teenagers who:

-think that they are smarter than their peers/know what is best for the world
-craft a public anti-hero persona in order to further their agenda
-are willing to manipulate people who love or admire them to get what they want
-have been granted a fantastic power in order to further their goals by a super-powered benefactor who is obsessed with a certain kind of food
-have to outsmart close friends/family who are specifically employed to defeat their alter ego
-have long-winded internal monologues about tactics and strategies
-are often "this close" to being caught

Also, I really don't know why I'd need to watch this show a second time in order to "really understand" it, or why this show's "hopeful message" is any different from any number of other pseudo-political giant robot shows that use freshman-level philosophy to sell action figures to grown men. You say anime fans aren't used to shows like Code Geass, but what makes people think it is a more narratively complex mecha story than Simoun, or a more nuanced analysis of human nature than Monster? What makes these characters more three-dimensional than Dear Brother's?

Frankly, I find the whole idea that people who don't like this show just don't "want" to like it to be incredibly disingenuous.
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:

When I said "more balanced" I meant the show was at least slightly nicer to Haruto as opposed to Suzaku who's punished for practically everything. He's still generally considered a twit while L-Elf is the super genius or whatever but he's punished less and at least occasionally given more of a chance to defend his view. Of course in the end I still think the show's terrible, and doesn't make nearly enough use of the dual protagonist angle, but it's less mean spirited about it than the other Geass clones

Lets see; Haruto never accomplishs anything, he's used as a rag doll and the show constantly makes fun of his misfortune (he's used as a meatshield on several occasions) he kills his lover's father without knowing, he never makes up with her at all, and the final kicker is that he dies a pointless death because not only in the future are people still using Valvraves and turning into monsters, remember he was trying to prevent the use of Valvraves because he did not want anyone to suffer like he and his friends did, but now his lover is one of those pilots. How is that nicer? Suzaku wasn't treated any worse than Lelouch was in fact both got shat on pretty hard with Lelouch getting his friends killed and finding out his entire ambition was a huge farce in front of his thought to be dead mother's face and Suzaku killing more people by launching the nuclear warhead thanks to the geass effect Lelouch put on him which is why I don't get what you, Zac or Hope are talking about, one of the few aspects this show did right was not idealizing its leads and making them flawed as fudge but at the same time equal and its all the more ironic that people liked one or the other because they really were pratically the same damn character by the end the fandom took to Lelouch because he was more entertaining making him no different from a clown. L-Elf's problem was that he was way too strong and was a creator's pet because they were banking on him to sell the show which didn't really work at all since he was as dull as Tatsuya and as much of a Gary Stu. Less mean-spirited? VVV literally ends with a witch hunt killing all the magus, most of the cast being shot to death and killed in humorous ways (mostly children) and ultimately shitting on the MC's goal by saying HAHA YOU WERE WRONG!

Divineking wrote:
Not to be mean about it or anything but I'm pretty darn sure the show at least tried to be as much about Inaho as Slaine. It failed mind you as I personally found Inaho to be as interesting as watching paint dry, and they retroactively refused to have him change as a character spoiler[(unless turning him into an actual robot counts)] but it tried. The show reinforced his world view at several points in the story, making him out to be this super awesome badass, and tried to give him some level of "depth" which usually meant having other characters interpret what little emotions he had. In comparison, Slane's "character journey" was mainly just a way to bluntly hammer in the show's message by turning him into the villain and thus absolutely proving Inaho right without having to actually do anything with him as a character despite pretending to. It's made all the worse by how ridiculously smug the ending is about it and as such it's definitely my least favorite of the imitators.

Yeah they tried by giving him only one line of dialogue in episode 9, they tried by regulating him to a plot device because they figured everyone on the earth side was too stupid to do anything without him, they tried by regulating his backstory to a extra LN instead of implementing in the damn show, if the people behind A/Z actually tried it would have been a better show but they didn't and expect people to buy it on the merits of have a popular writer and composer on board and thankfully it didn't work. The thing about these imitators miss the point of what made Geass work or rather what made it appeal to masses instead of fujoshi and seiyuu fans and why its still relevant 9 years later while most everyone has already forgotten about VVV, A/Z and Cross Ange except for how bad they were.
jroa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't a perfectly balanced podcast discussion or anything of the sort, since that's practically impossible to arrange, but there was far more nuance than what I imagined.

It doesn't mean I will automatically agree with everything Zac and Hope didn't really like about Code Geass, no, but I am willing to admit we got to hear a reasonable exchange of views, giving some actual credit to the show and also making some fair complaints. That's the sort of criticism I'm happy to deal with.

Following my previous comments on the other podcast thread, which dealt with a very brief preview of this week's episode, I would argue Code Geass still had comparatively better main character writing than a bunch of recently popular shows, including most of Sunrise's recent output. This can be either good or bad, but for me it's good.

I think that's the key element which makes Code Geass still worth watching in 2015. For my money, the quality of Goro Taniguchi's direction made a big difference too, but in terms of contents the character of Lelouch was also vital to the success of the show and helps explain why so many people were willing to embrace it. Not too surprisingly, Taniguchi did say -back in the day- that was where he focused his efforts. The guy got it.

You can't say the same about Valvrave or Guilty Crown. They do have superficially similar "genius" characters who are technically capable of pulling off crazy moves too, but they're flat in terms of personality. They just don't work from a dramatic perspective and tend to lack any real flaws. Don't get me started about all the problems with Shu and Haruto, which also make me angry since Okouchi should have probably known better than to create those individuals into protagonists. I guess he needs Taniguchi (or someone even better) to keep him from wandering off into the wild.

Although there are specific scenes where I would question Lelouch's portrayal from a writing standpoint, in my opinion the show did genuinely do a lot to make him engaging and not unsympathetic as a whole.

So much that -at least for me- he remains far more compelling to watch, both as a source of entertainment and in terms of actual characterization, than practically anyone in the cast of critical darling Kill la Kill or even the just as absurdly enjoyable ride that was Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Stardust Crusaders included).

I'd definitely agree the likes of Satsuki and Joseph Joestar (in Part 2) came close to Lelouch in certain respects, but Jotaro and Ryuuko were actually rather shallow and unengaging in comparison. I was especially not a fan of Ms. Matoi and her constant "Sorry, I just can't help losing my way!" routine.

For that matter, Kill la Kill did have a smaller cast with less bloat on paper, yet it also included a several plot devices among its secondary or tertiary cast members that were ultimately just as disposable as the school council people and others were in Code Geass.

As a further side note, I absolutely loved Ami Koshimizu's voice performance there, but the Ryuuko character herself disappointed me. In the end, my favorite role for Koshimizu is still the female lead of Spice and Wolf.

For anyone asking, I'm not going to sit here and claim Lelouch was "smart" in a real world sense, which isn't even something I would dare to claim about any of the various protagonists from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure either (at least not so far, I can't speak for the entire manga), but I don't think that's the important part of his character.

I'm of two minds regarding Hope's argument that Code Geass would have been a stronger story if they just went with a straight narrative scenario where "Lelouch becomes Dad" after all. It would be "cleaner" in terms of storytelling, absolutely, but I think you do lose something by going that route instead of following the actual ending of R2.

Which reminds me...Zac might not be too impressed with the one or two big ideas that Code Geass had, since they're not new to this Earth or anything, yet I have to ask...how many truly original big ideas do we get these days? Very, very few.

Take a look at Gundam Unicorn. I loved it, but that's Universal Century nostalgia to the max and it also has the very same "don't get stuck in the past, please keep moving towards the future!" message. You do get it in a somewhat more refined way, though with its own magical weirdness and a few plot holes appear if we try to take everything too seriously, but that's basically all that shiny OVA had to say.

Scamp did briefly bring up the concept of "Zero as a symbol" and I agree with him about that. It's not an overwhelming presence within the show, I suppose, but I'd argue it was a secondary theme that does work in support of the other two.

I agree with Zac and Hope in that Suzaku's side of the argument is philosophically weaker than Lelouch's to the point it is not a real contest in practice, despite him making some sense at times (like with Euphemia's plan). That is an admitted limitation of the show. I do think Suzaku's character dynamics with Lelouch are interesting and entertaining. Outside of who is right and who is wrong, I like the contradictions and hypocrisy of Suzaku's character in contrast to Lelouch's own flaws. There are some good parallels and theatrical melodramatics involved too.

Glad you all noticed the show isn't all that nationalist in the long run.

Last edited by jroa on Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:

*snip*

Alright you know what, I rushed too quickly to my own defense on this one, and since my memories of CG are semi-vague as I have yet to rewatch it, I'm just going to spare myself the stress and concede on this one. From what I recollect I don't think anything in VVV is particularly meaner than the stuff in R2 but I think the latter's better anyway (in spite of it's numerous problems) so not much point in arguing on then. I will say that I don't completely share Zac and Hope's opinion on the show as I do think it has a bit more depth than they do, but ultimately the camp's what stood out to me as a highlight more than it's thematic stuff.

Anyway that's it from me on this thread. Later Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7