• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Where Do The English-Speaking Actors In Japan Come From?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seska1973

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Kuroko no Basket

Alexandra Gracia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XTv3N1M4F8
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
SahgoDN wrote:
Also relevant: in the early days of game localizations, especially in the PS1 era, they were responsible for providing English voice work for Japanese games. Think Tenchu: Stealth Assassins and Mega Man X4.

Needless to say, those dubs are pretty infamous nowadays.

Can't forgot Resident Evil 1,which is just classic with it's localization Laughing. Worse English voice-acting is probably the scene from Black Heaven,where an African American is voiced by some bored white guy(on top of giving him really bad dialogue).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtzlKJ1dObU

Last edited by Themaster20000 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Another example is that guy who wrote the lyrics in the PaRappa the Rapper games. He lives in Japan but went to college in the United States, so he speaks fluent Japanese and English. For instance, he voices Chop Chop Master Onion in both languages. (You only hear him in English in the games, but he speaks Japanese in the anime. And for the record, he also voices Captain Fussenpepper in UmJammer Lammy if you want to hear him without an Asian accent.)

Quote:
silly foreigner-themed game shows

I've never heard of those--I've got to see some! What are some examples? Is this why Japanese television, to a non-anime fan, is stereotyped as weird and dangerous game shows? Because they seek out gaijin and put them in there?

mangamuscle wrote:
IMO nowadays this is inexcusable for two reasons. The first is that with the internet, it is quite plausible to get next day native talent in their native countries by contacting (or even having an established business deal) overseas talent agencies (by the same ticket, some japanese voice actors might get small roles in foreign productions). Why get scraps quality voice acting if you can get dubbing as least as good as what the cartoon network or nickelodeon gets? The second is streaming, when you are making money by selling said streaming rights to foreigners, it is quite disrespectful to have a substandard voice acting in English or Chinese, even if said series are comedies, the joke is not about how awful the voice acting is in other languages.

The problem is that, when much of the staff does not speak or understand anything but Japanese, they'll have a hard time distinguishing good acting from bad, unless it's that horrible that even a non-speaker can tell. A voice director might be more discerning, but even they won't be as good as a voice director who speaks the language in question.

But yeah, I'd figure it shouldn't be that hard to contact FUNimation or Bang Zoom! or even Ocean or somesuch and request a few lines. They should be able to send back quality work. On the other hand, voice acting in Japan is done differently than voice acting in most other parts of the world: In Japan, the animation is done first, whereas in most other places, the acting is done first. Perhaps the animators would be uncomfortable drawing for scenes with the acting already done.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Worse English voice-acting is probably the scene from Black Heaven,where an African American is voiced by some bored white guy(on top of giving him really bad dialogue).

If I remember correctly, in the dub they used Beau Billingslea to voice the black guy.

Waaay better then gettin' someone else. Cool
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I'll just leave this here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN9GiMFWKPE[/url]
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I remember that there as actually excellent english in one episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion. This despite Anno's gramatical errors when using english (''first children'', etc...).
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Scrap wrote:
0nsen wrote:
@Scrap: They don't say "qui", they say "quid". "Quid pro quo".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quid_pro_quo

qui pro quo or quid pro quo is the same.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiproquo

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qui_pro_quo

:wave:

I..don't think it is: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quid_pro_quo
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiproquo

The form is incorrect (quid pro quo) but the meaning is not the same as qui pro quo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
On the other hand, voice acting in Japan is done differently than voice acting in most other parts of the world: In Japan, the animation is done first, whereas in most other places, the acting is done first. Perhaps the animators would be uncomfortable drawing for scenes with the acting already done.

Mhh, any dubbing agency with experience in dubbing anime already is doing work for animation that has already been finished. Also, AFAIK, only Hollywood (as in, top of the line budget) level productions do the voice acting first, I very much doubt Bob Squarepants or Avatar producers send voice acting for animators in Korea to animate/lip sync.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I think I prefer to hear bored people speaking English words properly than scenarios where you see some tourist go up to a character, and another character comes along and goes "I speak perfect English! I'll talk to them!" followed by the worst mangling on English possibly ever while the other characters look on and applaud at how great their English is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4MR25p6fBQ

But, it goes a full 180 when you have an entire scene dubbed by people who don't speak English well. At least everyone is on the same page and knows they suck equally. And other characters aren't standing around in awe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmFbgHqlMP0

Although I do sometimes enjoy the "trying to speak English and failing badly" thing, those can be good for a laugh, but it also helps that they're self aware. On the negative side though, this joke will always get lost in an English dub.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqbtbTSeai0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqrh65uOKJ8

What I don't get is why some American company can't record a line and send it over. I know the recording equipment would be different, and it'd probably cost some actual money, but the end product would clearly sound better.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
When Free! Eternal Summer did the episode set in Sydney they used Australian professional actors for all the Australian parts. Apart from one guy sounding more English than Australian, it's very well done. They speak proper Australian.

Last edited by Errinundra on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
There's occasionally bad voice acting in other languages than English, too. The German speaking actors in Miyazaki's When the Wind Rises were also rather cringeworthy Anime dazed

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Quote:
silly foreigner-themed game shows

I've never heard of those--I've got to see some! What are some examples?

I'm not an expert of such shows, but one show I watched a bit is called "sekai banzuke". It used to be a roundtable with a dozen gaijin talentos who represented their home country, talking about various stuff (such as "Is it okay to pick up food which has fallen down on the street and eat it?"), trying to be as outspoken as possible and therefore, unfortunately, reinforcing the stereotype of "loud, strange gaijin!". It was just embarrassing to watch for me.

My predecessor in the JET programme, who left a big mess at my school and where I had a hard time to regain the trust from japanese teachers, started to appear several times in that TV show and made a name for himself with his mannerisms, much to the chagrin of my former co-workers who hoped to forget about him once for all ^^;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
@ Swissman,

Here's a thing, though. In the English version of The Wind Rises Castrop (the watercress eating guy at the resort) is played by the famous German director, Werner Herzog (with a thick German accent).

In fact, I reckon that Werner Herzog having a role is, in movie industry terms, a way bigger deal than Hideaki Anno in the Japanese version. I wonder if it's Herzog's own acknowledgement of Miyazaki's significance.

Last edited by Errinundra on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animemaster1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Scrap wrote:
Well, the fun about listen "weird languages uses" are everywhere. This happens also in many english or U.S. shows

In many tv series or movies, mostly the U.S.A. ones i laugh a lot when a char, mostly to seem intellectual or cultured use the latin formula "qui pro quo"

QUI PRO QUO means " to mistake something (qui) for (pro) another thing (quo)", so it means simply " to make an error" or litterally "mistake this for that" but the english speaking people usually confuse "mistake" with a "trade" so it become in many U.S.A. shows: i give this for that, and it is simply wrong for everyone who knows the latin language.

the right latin phrase for an exchange is DO UT DES: i give (do) in order that (ut) you give to me (des)

this exemple is only to show that people can laugh about the engRish used and the poor use of the english language from the japanese actors and seyuu, but well, it's the same the world over, japanese can't speak english propely in the same way english one can't really speak latin, italian or french and are funny to listen when they try.

When i listen an american actor use latin, not only about the pronunciation but also about the meanings of the sentence, for me it's the same.

Your English is pretty bad dude. I wouldn't start complaining about the use of Latin in American T.V. when you yourself can't even articulate your point.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
(Things like adding sugar to green tea, dumping soy sauce on rice, etc.)

Guilty as charged, and it was reasonably tasty, too.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
@errinundra

Werner Herzog as Castrop is actually a good choice, in my opinion. I like Herzog's thick German accent and it fits the character. What I had in mind were the nazi soldiers in the japanese dub, the ones at the hangar in Germany, yelling german sentences to Jiro and Honjo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7