• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Hampshire School Disciplines Student After Finding 'Death Note' Book

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Chances are that such stories often will involve the perpetrator being bullied or have mental problems. However, when I say "bad seed", I mean someone who didn't encounter either of these. That is, they are someone who is just a bad person. That is, someone who didn't have a troubled life but became "evil"/"bad" by free will or did such an act just because they felt like it.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I think it`s right that they are disciplined.

However, I think they also need help.

You can`t just let something, like that go. Nor, can you not give the person, the help they need. If they want it, that is.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing is these events predate the Death Note the manga. I had a friend who wrote what amounted to a list of people and how he wished they would die when he was a kid in the early 1990s. Teacher found out and he didn't get in trouble, instead they set up counseling and monthly meetings with him and his parents to discus his progress. Last I heard he was a well adjust adult.

I can only image what would happen to him now days....
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
^
It's a school-specific thing. There was another school a year or so ago that mentioned counseling sessions instead.

The death list thing has been around for awhile and pops up in film/book form from time to time. (ex; some YA book called Hate List.) Death Notes are just a spin on it.

That said, hopefully the person is placed in therapy/counseling at least. The school should take it seriously, especially considering we've been have shootings about every other week recently. They just need to prevent the individual from becoming more isolated, assuming they are being bullied, and not worsening the issue.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I Honestly do not know what is more pathetic A.) the fact that someone wrote in a death note thinking it'll actually work B.) The fact that other students knew about it and didn't say anything out of fear of having their names written in it or C.) The fact that not only the other student's, the accused student who wrote in it, The students listed in the death note, The school staff and The parents of said students listed in it THOUGHT IT WOULD ACTUALLY WORK!

someone get the kid some therapy, teach the seventeen on the list (if they are bullying the suspect) that spreading hate is wrong and there are consequences to it, and educate the dumb masses about the difference between fantasy and reality
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
^
No one is thinking it will actually work. People do this sort of thing to vent their frustrations. It might be because they are being bullied, are trying to get a reaction/attention, or generally feel unsatisfied with life. The fear is that it's a threat to kill and the individual will carry it out. It's basically a list of "people I want to be dead" after all. If the person is generally seen as kind of shifty or "off," then sure, kids are going to want to stay out of their way.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Gotta hear all 18 sides.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
This is not surprising what with the recent episodes of "Shooting of the week, or month" there everyone's way overreacting to the slightist little quark that a highschool child exhibits. I mean how many times does it have to be explained that it's just a cosplay from a cartoon? If they outlaw Death Notes, only outlaws will have Death Notes. Wink United States of Anxiety.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
uncutpokemon wrote:
I agree, discipline is necessary... for the 17 students that were likely bullying this kid.

Yeah. I'd like them to look into that, too.

And to make matters worse, if the student was being bullied with no recourse before, imagine what's gonna come after. You think the kid who found the notebook is gonna keep quiet? Everyone in school is gonna know who wrote it -and- who was on the list. The kid's school life is over. Might as well punish the id and make sure they never have a future to top it off.

Also...
Where did the snitch find the notebook? Did they beat the kid up and take it out of their arms and go run off laughing to the Principal? Did they break into the kid's locker, steal their bag?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
#Foreverfizz8 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

uncutpokemon wrote:
I agree, discipline is necessary... for the 17 students that were likely bullying this kid.
Mohawk52 wrote:
This is not surprising what with the recent episodes of "Shooting of the week, or month" there everyone's way overreacting to the slightist little quark that a highschool child exhibits. I mean how many times does it have to be explained that it's just a cosplay from a cartoon? If they outlaw Death Notes, only outlaws will have Death Notes. Wink United States of Anxiety.

I completely agree with the above sentiments.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Again?
hack5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Why do kids ruin everything?Cant they just sit down and enjoy a show without doing stupid things like this ,i mean if you love a show so much why give it a bad rep.Just leave it to them to pick up the bad instead of the good
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
^
With all due respect, the teenager in question was being bullied by 17 other teenagers. So what, exactly, are you talking about?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
hack5 wrote:
Why do kids ruin everything?can't they just sit down and enjoy a show without doing stupid things like this ,i mean if you love a show so much why give it a bad rep.Just leave it to them to pick up the bad instead of the good

Death Notes are bad, the Goddess Madoka is good. Pick the right reality to live in.
hack5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
^
With all due respect, the teenager in question was being bullied by 17 other teenagers. So what, exactly, are you talking about?

Im talking about kids in general,yeah they were bullied so what would writing someone name in a death book would do!!!! as i said instead of picking the good things out of anime they chose the bad.There are so much different anime out there that teaches you so many positive lessons of life but out of all those they chose death note to express themselves Rolling Eyes come on we all know the ending of death note story maybe thats why the mangaka ended it in that manner.lesson well learned Arrow
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3