• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love Live! Film Tops Evangelion: 1.0 Ticket Sales in S. Korea

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
I don't know, Nozomi sexually assaulting the other characters as a joke doesn't seem like something meant to appeal to the general public. The show isn't outright open lolicon or anything like that, it's not that bad, but the target audience is very, very clear.
Just what the hell sort of definition of "loli" are you using? Of the girls she groped brfore they dropped the gag, only Nico fits the faux loli build at all(and even she's closer to flat-as-a-board) and the only actual lolis in the show are her sisters, who are never touched.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I was trying to talk about how the people in the thread were talking about stereotypes regarding anime and its fans, I was trying to go "you know, this show is still made for creepy people, even if its not outwardly sexual." its very tricky for multiple people to try and consistently use words like this that don't have singular definitions and often have permutations and different contexts. Remember that this show is still about a bunch of cute young girls - and although there's nothing inherently wrong with that, it definitely fits with this kind of audience, no matter the exact specifications of the characters' anime tiddies. :/

What I'm trying to say is that those sexual assault jokes are 100 percent definitely put in there for an unscrupulous audience, the exact kind that people were trying to say wasn't the audience or purpose of Love Live.

But again, I don't want to debate about the quality of this show, that's not my point. I just want to stop seeing the same article every two days.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

I don't know, Nozomi sexually assaulting the other characters as a joke doesn't seem like something meant to appeal to the general public. The show isn't outright open lolicon or anything like that, it's not that bad, but the target audience is very, very clear.

While admittedly that isn't something that has mass appeal or anything, it only happens a couple of times and as mentioned, no lolis are involved unless you count Nicospoiler[(best girl)]. The rest of the show is rather tame. The show's aim is one thing, but in practice it's not a showcase of deviancy.

Arale Kurashiki wrote:
That's not the point, though. Whether it's a good show or a bad show and who it's meant to appeal to doesn't really matter to me. Publishing an article every two days about this movie making a lot of money is repetitive, uninteresting and grating - and personally, depressing. If you really have to, ANN, just make one article and update it.

How can someone be depressed by Love Live? haha
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Personal bad history, I had to stop being with somebody important to me and the circumstances were linked to this franchise. I did indeed watch a good amount of it, and yeah, in practice its harmless enough, I know. My dislikes for it are more of what its vibe is and what it represents - but less for what's actually contained within the show itself, if that makes any sense.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Personal bad history, I had to stop being with somebody important to me and the circumstances were linked to this franchise. I did indeed watch a good amount of it, and yeah, in practice its harmless enough, I know. My dislikes for it are more of what its vibe is and what it represents - but less for what's actually contained within the show itself, if that makes any sense.

I can understand having problems with the idol industry in reality, I just think that Love Live! tends to get a lot of criticism by association rather than for anything it does itself. (& even stuff like Nozomi's groping was dropped from the anime's 2nd season so the show did try to move past it) The show isn't trying to represent the idol industry, it's just nine girls who work to try and save their school.

Nobody is trying to say there aren't some dodgy fans of Love Live!, but there are dodgy fans for pretty much every series. Love Live! repeats air on the Disney channel in Japan so while the franchise may have initially been just a way to get money from otaku, it has become something much more than that which can appeal to a wide range of demographics through sheer happiness and optimism. (Which is probably why there are so many articles about it on ANN)
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, I am glad to hear that it ended up getting better later on. The episode in which The Joke Was Touching was the last one I watched... and then I was told that the manga was less gross about it, so I skimmed that until they introduced Nozomi and Whatsherface and then theres the same damn joke again, so I got pretty fed up after that. And now its just associated with bad things to me. But yes, it's good to know that it improved itself.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I guess overall it's not too surprising Love Live did well in South Korea. I can easily see it being really huge with the K-pop crowd over there. It's just shocking to me it would outperform Eva of all things. I enjoyed the first season well enough and it's probably one of the least offensive moe shows out there aside from a few fanservice moments but there's just no way it's a better franchise than Eva. I miss the days when otaku were into things like giant robots and collecting action figures instead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2