• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Retailer: Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers' Standard Blu-rays/DVDs Cancelled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zatheyll

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
They most likely canceled it preemptively because the anime was one of the worst sold of this year in Japan. 7th from the bottom.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
You know, that just gave me an idea.

If Rokka did not sell adequately in Japan, which it appears that it did not, is it possible that the SE's for North America were scheduled as part of a run of materials for Japan that was cut?

Mark Gosdin
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie here: This is a ridiculously crappy move and I hope they get blowback for it.

I know people are going to say "this is a reverse importation measure" or whatever but that's something that should have been taken into account before soliciting this to begin with. It's not like the low sales projections of the show weren't noticeable. All this accomplishes is screwing over online retailers and whoever ended up pre-ordering this set, which just makes them look bad.

PonyCan USA has been making questionable decisions since day 1 and if anything, their greatest accomplishment so far has been making Aniplex of America look like angels in comparison.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
They probably just make a higher profit off every CE compare to std, that combine with low sale number for std edition means it didn't make economic sense to sell both, since they still have to produce the std edition. Probably hoping some of the std buyer will buy CE too. Dunno how licensing work, if its a cut they have to give or if its lump sum to be allowed to sell it.

Wondering why it sold so bad in japan, maybe cause once you know the mystery it doesn't make much sense to re watch.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
So much for thinking Ponycan would be giving consumers cheaper options. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't see many people buying this either way. Probably less than 300 copies.
magvis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
It's not all that unexpected given that the anime ends at a cliffhanger and there hasn't been (as far as I can tell) an announced continuation. Pre-sale estimates probably were very low.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to how much potential sales they lost because of this. I can't really imagine the collector's edition getting much of a boost (if at all) because of this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
I don't see many people buying this either way. Probably less than 300 copies.

I can actually see a lot of people buying this (or the standard edition at least), considering Rokka was a lot more popular here than it was in Japan.

But on the other hand, not many people buy anime in North America compared to Japan, so who can say?
razisgosu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
High priced releases just do not fly in the NA market. Aniplex gets away with it because they license high profile shows.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
As I mentioned in another thread, this will stop me from pre-ordering the series. While it is one that I want to own, it isn't one of my top priorities. I may wait and see if I can grab the volumes on sale sometime in the future.

If that never happens, then I'll just never get the series.

Out of all the shows that PonyCan USA has, this was the one that I wanted to own. Now, not so much. BUt, they have nothing else that interests me enough to own it.

Divineking wrote:
Not gonna lie here: This is a ridiculously crappy move and I hope they get blowback for it.

Agreed.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
That's really disappointing. I haven't seen an anime in awhile that I liked enough to own, and Rokka was going to be a treat. But $70 for 4 episodes is absolutely ridiculous. If I had to I would pay $120 or something similar for the entire series with all the limited stuff (although it was not my initial plan), but there is no way in hell I'm paying $210.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
This seems like a bait-and-switch tactic Pony Canyon is using with Rokka. Although I'm no huge fan of the show, I find it really disheartening that those that were hyped for it now won't be able to own it, unless they buy the Collector's Edition. Sure, it didn't do too well in Japan, but with seemingly high popularity in the U.S., I thought it would have a chance of pulling in decent sales there.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
High priced releases just do not fly in the NA market. Aniplex gets away with it because they license high profile shows.

No, Aniplex gets away with it because they have a "take it or leave" mindset, they're a subset of Aniplex of Japan and their main mission is to offset any Region B BD sales. Profit? Possibly fourth but I don't think it's even that high on their list of priorities, otherwise they'd react a lot faster if/when their SE sets sell out.

Their standard release is dumping complete seasons on DVD only with tiers for what they can get away with for high profile shows from DVD singles to LE editions that put Pony Canyon to shame... Fate Zero or UBW Import editions anyone? And they don't license series in the manner in the manner of Funimation or Section 23. I think they're more likely given them very cheap if not free.

As to Pony Canyon, they're trying to be AoA but I don't think their skin is thick enough; They literally can't give a rats behind to what the fans want in order for this model to work. You can't do a standard BD/DVD combo with a SE along side it like you're Funimation, it has to be bare bones region 1 DVD or Super Special Awesome Collector's Edition -with locked in subs- but the bare release has to be completely bled of anything Japanese fans... North American fans want from a physical release, except for the whole complete collection aspect. And the AoA bare releases are still stupidly expensive. Ok, mildly stupidly expensive.

But Pony Canyon didn't even get that part right, did they? Rokka would only have gotten a bare yet complete DVD from AoA. Are we getting back to the days where anyone would release singles of an anime series regardless of whether people would want it or not because all anime is equal? While the series is still streaming, everyone from publisher to buyer needs to be pragmatic about physical releases.

"But it's working for Aniplex!" No, what Aniplex is doing is protecting the Aniplex brand; Comments like this one making it seem that they only ever release high profile series shows that it's working.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
Madoka, SA:O, Fate, TTGL, all really popular high profile shows that collectors are willing to pay for. That's why it works for Aniplex. I'm not sure what you were trying to do by calling my post out.

I never said its "working" for Aniplex. I only own 1 Aniplex release because they overcharge the US market average. I'd much rather own 3-5 of any other publishers series than a single one by Aniplex. The price Aniplex charges is not what I or a lot are willing to pay for series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5