• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Casts Michael Pitt as Laughing Man

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:30 am Reply with quote
My only gripe with Scarlett as the Major is that she's not quite "elegant" or refined enough. I think Margot Robbie is a bit closer to how I envision the character, and for Japanese actresses, Rinko Kikuchi could've definitely worked (though it's sad she seems to be the only one anyone can think of), but Scarlett sure is a badass, and I think she comes across as very intelligent. She has the potential to pull this off, and she's certainly the big box office draw this movie needs.

And Pilou Asbaek will make an interesting Batou. He's not quite as gruff as I envisioned, but the more I've thought about it, the more I'm comfortable with him taking on the part.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:45 am Reply with quote
Ever since Scarlet was listed as the main star, I had the doubt they won't be making a good GitS movie. And now the Laughing man?

I think the person above was right, they will likely turn the Laughing man into some angry hacker than capturing what they Laughing man was all about. Because Hollywood has become a parasite that only cares about getting popular titles to make money than bringing the spirit that made the series loved in the first place. While the only time they care about content is if they are aiming for the Oscars with a drama.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:50 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Blankslate wrote:
Didn't realize they were basing this on the more procedural SAC instead of the philosophical original...now I'm even more disappointed.

Sound awfully pretentious.....makes sense why they'd based it off of Stand Alone Complex.
Yeah that is the problem with the film, it has some great set pieces, but the dialogue is not so well done.
redranger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:15 am Reply with quote
SAC had the best plot of any of the gits animes(much better than the movie or 2nd Shit), so I'm glad there adapting it. People are bitching because it's too complicated? Lol. GITS isn't supposed to make sense. Take off the nostalgia goggles.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote
I...actually have no problem with this. Michael Pitt is great at playing dark, brooding, anarchist-type characters. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic.
Pariston_Hill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
As someone who loved the SAC series I'm very happy with this news.
Jupiter77

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
If the movie is taking place in japan why change the race of the characters, I do not get it. Ok Scarlett is a star and I can see wanting to attach a big name to a big budget movie but heck everyone else in the movie appears to be white too. Is anyone in the movie actually from japan.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:53 am Reply with quote
I was hoping that the plan was to do their own thing. There would be more incentive for me to see it if it brought its own story to the table.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
Jupiter77 wrote:
If the movie is taking place in japan why change the race of the characters, I do not get it. Ok Scarlett is a star and I can see wanting to attach a big name to a big budget movie but heck everyone else in the movie appears to be white too. Is anyone in the movie actually from japan.

How many Western Europeans were in adaptation of AoT?
Jupiter77

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Jupiter77 wrote:

How many Western Europeans were in adaptation of AoT?

Your right-Japan has a ton of western actors who could appear in AoT-mabey they could afford Leo to star in it
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Jupiter77 wrote:
Your right-Japan has a ton of western actors who could appear in AoT-mabey they could afford Leo to star in it

Weak excuse, there are plenty of gaijin tarento in Japan, nothing could've stopped Higuchi if he wanted to cast them.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
Jupiter77 wrote:

There are plenty of Westerners in Japan. Also, western actors are known for traveling for work.

We all know already why there are Japanese actors in the Japanese production of the medieval themed Attack on Titan.
Jupiter77

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Jupiter77 wrote:

Weak excuse, there are plenty of gaijin tarento in Japan, nothing could've stopped Higuchi if he wanted to cast them.

It's probably to early to judge the movie anyway- I will go see it- I just think that it's a little weird that everyone in Public security is American or European when it is set in japan. But yes it is a valid point with AoT- I do wonder how well the film would have performed if they did use western actors-Would it have done as well-I just feel Hollywood has overwhelming resources to get the job done
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
Jupiter77 wrote:
It's probably to early to judge the movie anyway

If we talking about quality of acting, well, have you seen The Room? AoT is a little bit worse in that department.
Jupiter77

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Jupiter77 wrote:
It's probably to early to judge the movie anyway

If we talking about quality of acting, well, have you seen The Room? AoT is a little bit worse in that department.

I have not seen it- are we talking bad on an epic scale? like so bad you gotta see it to believe it or bad stay away at all costs?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3