• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kiznaiver (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
just as that although they appeared normal on a surface, they all had something that was not underneath. Taichi's spoiler[good natured attitude was largely a symptom of a complex of rather making himself be hurt himself than someone else]. Yui's spoiler[actions around males was part of her androphobia]. Yoshifumi's spoiler[affection of Yui was largely influenced with how he never got over his ex-girlfriend]. Himeko's spoiler[standoffish nature was because she was suffering from some sort of disorder making her unable to trust anyone (linked with deep fears)], And Iori spoiler[did not even know what her own personality was]. Although they looked normal, they each had something abnormal. Even though you could say they looked like friends, it was superficial at best at the beginning.

Sounds like normal kids to me. I don't know where you went to school but the several I went to the KC kids would have been totally unremarkable. The Kiznaiver kids not so much.

And note I said "associate" with each other not be deep "friends" with each other.

The comparison to the two stories might yield some incidental similarities but beyond that remains fundamentally superficial. Lots of anime end with the line ".. and in spite of everything they all became friends from then on."
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
While Kokoro Connect certainly came to mind as it did with others I was actually reminded more of The Breakfast Club when it came to the character layouts. While both shows have likable characters (something to their credit), KC never felt like it was going anywhere, at least in the anime. Kiz on the other hand is trying to lend itself to a broader theme.

However, the whole point of "understanding others" is through emotional not physical pain. While through the physical I expect that they will bond, to me at least, there is still a disconnect present. As the show is going for an undercurrent of wackiness at the moment, unlike with KC where the humour was more character driven, I do not see this show going that deep into the broader theme.

Shall see as the show progresses.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
"I think yours were even bigger than mine in grade school"

SAVAGE.

Oh Chidori, honey, it's best you give up now. Might as well save yourself the time and hook up with your obvious fall back guy.

I wouldn't say that's a trade down, though.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
"I think yours were even bigger than mine in grade school".

That and the rice bowl contest quote from Tenga to Yuta. "Eat up! Didn't you used to be fat!?" Don't quote me on those exact words, but damn did they make me laugh.

Chidori may well be best girl, but my favourite is Niko by far. She's just so eccentric electric that you can't take your eyes off her for a second.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:02 am Reply with quote
I find Honoka the most interesting so far. spoiler[She does say she is kidding when she said she killed someone but it seems kind of obvious that she actually killed or led someone to be killed and takes responsibility for it. I am thinking it was probably her friend who died hence why she is so reluctant to be called anyone's friend.]

I also like Niko, she is just so much fun to watch. My next favorites are Tenga and Chidori. They actually are kind of similar in the fact that they both want to do the right thing. Tenga has the right intent but often gets misunderstood because he is known as a thug and Chidori does the right thing on the surface but we don't know if that is just her facade or her true self.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:55 am Reply with quote
xifeng.hu wrote:
My next favorites are Tenga and Chidori. They actually are kind of similar in the fact that they both want to do the right thing. Tenga has the right intent but often gets misunderstood because he is known as a thug and Chidori does the right thing on the surface but we don't know if that is just her facade or her true self.

I think that this is kind of it with Chidori, we are seeing that she is a bit of a hypocrite. She puts on the image of being a super nice person who just wants to help with nothing in return, but clearly she wants something from him and that is attraction. She is getting super jealous of his interest in another girl, and she is probably angry that he should be interested in her because she is the one going out of her way to being nice. Although the reason he is interested in the other girl is because she seems to have kind of gone further in addressing his problems, and he is kind of seeing himself in her, in turn he is actually kind of improving. And Tenga is a good guy.

Niko continues to by my favourite, her nonsense attitude is kind of fun. But even better for her character is that she is multi-faceted, she is kind of desperate for friends, her optimism kind of has bounds and kind of looks like part of the mantra of smiling to be happy. Her being sad at not yet friends and then exchanging addresses was kind of cute. I just have to repeat that I love the OP song.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
The oddest bit of this episode was where Agata invites Sonozaki on the summer break trip and she accepts, seemingly having been talked into it. When she comes she is sort of awkwardly carrying the wrong kind of luggage (not a backpack or even roller) even though it was her that picked the venue for the "mission."

Wouldn't her role be to go along invited or not anyway to supervise or at least tally the "mission?" After all the only reason any of them are going is her orders-under-coercion in the first place. So her being there unexpected to herself doesn't seem to fit somehow.

Also, has anyone ever seen the interior of a bus drawn like that? It seemed at a real odd variance with the style and quality of the rest of the sets.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Wouldn't her role be to go along invited or not anyway to supervise or at least tally the "mission?" After all the only reason any of them are going is her orders-under-coercion in the first place. So her being there unexpected to herself doesn't seem to fit somehow.

I think that she expected that she would watch from a distance, but truth be told she actually quite liked the invitation. The mismatch between how she is prepared compared to the scenario they are, even more than the others despite the fact she should know more, I think highlights two different sides of her. The part of her that accepted attending is a different part than the one that set the situation up. This not a literal different personality thing, but insight into how her professional actions may not be entire reflective of her personal feelings. Her attire a hint that she herself could be the most closed but also somewhat delicate.

She really may have planned on going along anyway, but on some level to her it was someone inviting her on a holiday, the fact that it was a "camp" was not the part that registered.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

That new masochist guy is so weird. At this rate, he'll be the only one drowning in pain of pleasure while everyone else just have to endure the pain. In terms of storytelling, I find this to be a bit of a miss so far, hard to take in seriously. What I do want to see is Noriko's background story as we see some glimpse of her flashback already this episode.

Loving the character dynamics though. The show isn't shy to make each of them stand out in some way.

Regarding the Kiznaiver experiment, perhaps Katsuhira and Noriko are the original survivors of the experiment? The former might not be aware of it. Just a speculation though because of the brief flashbacks. The part showing Noriko with the odd looking scar could be another hint. Being the most mysterious character in this series, Noriko is someone who may be holding more secrets than anyone else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Back at Anime Boston, I watched a panel regarding Mari Okada and her tropes. In this episode and the previous, these tropes have shown themselves quite clearly. Mari Okada tends to have characters who bottle their emotions but clear it up ASAP. In standard tropes, bottling emotions lead to all sorts of misunderstandings but Mari Okada has her characters express their feelings. So this episode, with Chidori expressing all her emotions, that really struck me as Mari Okada-ish. Also, it connects the characters more, especially with Mr. Apathy growing more "human" -- having empathy/sympathy, or whatever.

I don't know what else to say but Niko's facial reactions have been a highlight of this episode for me. It's cute, potentially artificial to draw attention, but I still find it cute. Sonozaki looked cute with her sun hat, too. Also enjoyed the brief look of her pajamas at the end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Yeah, I liked that, Chidori really expressing how she was getting hurt when he was being harassed, and in the possibility of him in a relationship with someone else.

We are getting a few character arcs too. One is that Nico seems to act a little odd with the topic of looking attractive, both when Tenga is trying to sell Chidori and in her figure in the bath, the times when her mask of being really happy slips and see that she is quite insecure. Yuta eats a rather strict diet where he restricts himself from a lot of food, which would have him classed as having an eating disorder, and he is more innocent than he lets on.

Maki, I think she really wants to hate herself, pretty much throwing herself in a bid to make herself unlikable after Yuta compliments her, but also seems to really be suffering from some sort of trauma.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Disappointed, now that is harsh. Some would think "disappointed" is bellow "angry", but it means that Agata had expectations of Sonozaki to begin with, he felt like she did not meet them, and it is clear that this hurt her. Although we also know from behind the scenes that she really does not want this harsh stuff to happen, and it feels more like she wants to play the villain if she has to do it rather than be disappointed in.

But the episode was really about Maki. I could be wrong after what they have shown, but it kind of feels along the lines that she feels her reflectively calling things and her old friend "stupid", likely out of her own embarrassment, caused her friend to have depression and ultimately kill herself. It might not necessarily be what did her in, but it is very much behind one memory where her friend tried to fling herself over an edge after acknowledging herself as stupid after Maki saying it. The resolution to it may be that Maki really was not responsible, her friend's depression was not her fault, Yuta already mentioned that the manga they wrote was filled with depressing things, a little window that others were not able to see as a warning sign.

It was nice that some of the characters are able to see and try and help Maki. They can see that she is actually really lonely, and Niko was quick to try and get closer because she too is lonely and knows how it feels. Yuta was also able to step in when those guys were harassing her, and so was everyone else. Of course it all blew up when she heard that they were helping her because it was a mission, damaged trust and wonder how it can be repaired.

The panic/breakdown scene was really well done though, good at show exactly how Maki was being effected by the entire thing. The whole anticlimactic "victory" with confetti also continued it that things are not ending, this was not "saving".
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
While the show has been interesting, both in premise and "where are they going with this," it hadn't quite hooked me. I'd actually gotten behind on this (as well as everything else ^^;), and caught up to episodes 4-6, then 7 today.

This past arc, with Honoka, has finally given me the emotional hook to get invested in the series. I'm assuming we'll get more character arcs as we continue, and I hope they're as good as this one was.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

The courage to do something stupid. For some reason that thought comes to mind. Maki did not have it, she did not have the courage to let herself fall in love... to even stay close to her best friend as her life was ending. It was really what was being asked when Maki asked them to go play in the water, that if they would go and do something stupid for a "friend", even one like her. Along with finding out that Ruru did not hate her and did care about her (and her smile), she was able to forgive herself a bit, and I think she opened her heart, maybe facing feelings she had that she could not do so before.

A good episode, they have sold Maki. Had to replay it a couple times when Maki went down saying everyone's name, these characters. May be more deeper stuff coming soon, and based on the preview I think it will be about Tenga. Also noticed that Katsuhira has brown hair instead of just white, the brown hair seems to be his natural colour in the picture of him with Sonozaki where he seems to be smiling quite a bit.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

What I really liked about these ships between the characters is that they don't come out of nowhere, the researches like an astute watcher will have picked it up. Yet it did not change from the discussion being somewhat kind of twisted despite the audience doing quite similar.

Not sure, but it kind of felt like maybe Sonozaki is like a conduit of many emotions, some of which is Agata.

The photo thing was fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4