• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thirty Years of Castle in the Sky

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
While intellectually there is much to criticize Laputa for as some here have done, especially incomprehensible to me was 'Sheeta's speech to Muska about how a folk saying from Gondor made everything about Laputa clear (the world can't live without love(???)

The speech was changed for the American dub.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
(the world can't live without love(???)
Thanks! I never watched in Japanese and the subtitles make it clear. I guess they say "Bals" but I still like "Varus".
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit this was my favorite Ghibli film. It wasn't my first though.

Back when I used to watch raws through trading, or someone running off a copy, the first Ghibli film that I watched was Totoro.

When I attended college in Philly back in the late 80's, there was a screening at the Roxy theater. My roommate hit me on to it because she saw that I was into Japanese animation. So I braved the long walk during the winter months from the South side to the North. When I got to the theater I had wondered if I was in the right place. That was until I saw the huge poster advertising the event. It was a small crowd, mostly those involved in fandom. This was the Streamline Pictures dub that I would later hear about once anime started trying to make it's way to the mainstream. Not to mention one of my college animation teachers used to work for them. On a silly little adult project called 'Evil Toon'.

I know folks hate that dub, but it was the only one for some reason I liked more than that Dawson Creek, bum's voice. I really enjoyed this film. I truly resonated with me in some way. I'd now watch every film by this man. Child heroes and slanted mouth villains. You'd know Miyazaki villains when you saw them.

I attended the screening 3 times. In between those visits I made it my business to try and acquire the poster from the presentation. I was successful. All I had to do was come back on the last day and pick it up. Sadly, the guy that gave it to me had no clue how you handle a poster. I was a little annoyed but couldn't complain as I now had it in my possession before anyone else. I still have the poster somewhere.

I've watched quite a bit of Miyazaki films, but Castle in the Sky Laputa will always hold a special place in my heart.

Which reminds me I still gotta get my Laputa LP back from an old friend who used to run the Philly anime club chapter.
*Update, well that's out as he just passed away last year.
Barciad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I've always found talking favourite Miyazaki films is like discussing best Beatles albums. Everybody has one, it's always different, and they can make one heck of an argument in order to defend their choice.
'Castle in the Sky' just so happens to be mine.
Simple reason enough why. Two and a bit hours of non stop thrills with some stunning set pieces (the sky-jack at the beginning and the robot rampaging through castle being favourites) and great characters (Dola especially). Not to mention a strong positive message - though such things are always to be expected from his work. And finally, it has an ending that is neither confusing nor sudden.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I, too, am madly in love with this movie. The backgrounds, the music (probably my favorite Ghibli soundtrack), the robots, the incredible melancholy, the swashbuckling action scenes... Yes, it's probably "simpler" than some of Miyazaki's later works in terms of story, depth and whatnot, but I find this simplicity almost refreshing.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Barciad wrote:
...(Dola especially).

Miyazaki would be happy to hear that. Dola has been modelled after Dola Miyazaki = Hayao Miyazaki mom.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
The opening half in the mining village has that same Verne-steampunk kids-on-the-run quality some of our generation liked when the Nadia series first appeared (granted that that was a complete CitS plagiarism to begin with)

Actually, to my knowledge Nadia was originally a story that was actually written by Hayao Miyazaki himself back in the 70's (?) for Nadia's parent company Toho, the idea never took off at the time but became the basis for Future Boy Conan and later Castle in the Sky. At the end of the 80's Toho still had the rights to the story Miyazaki had written back in the 70's, and so they used that as the groundwork for Nadia. So not plagiarism, but basically a work fundamentally designed by Miyazaki in the first place.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Actually, to my knowledge Nadia was originally a story that was actually written by Hayao Miyazaki himself back in the 70's (?) for Nadia's parent company Toho, the idea never took off at the time but became the basis for Future Boy Conan and later Castle in the Sky. At the end of the 80's Toho still had the rights to the story Miyazaki had written back in the 70's, and so they used that as the groundwork for Nadia. So not plagiarism, but basically a work fundamentally designed by Miyazaki in the first place.

Nadia was originally supposed to be an anime-mutated TV series of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but Verne's Prof. Arronax character was gradually rewritten out of the series into just a one-episode side cameo, and Nadia and her amulet became the focus.
So, may have been like Conan being the same Pazu & Sheeta characters worked into the Alexander Key book, but at least with Castle, Miyazaki was allowed to just give the one idea its own organic environment from scratch.

Moroboshi-san wrote:
Dola has been modelled after Dola Miyazaki = Hayao Miyazaki mom.

And not only does Castle's Dola have a large family of her own, but as we know from "The Wind Rises", she has a brother who works as a German spy, and from "Kiki", she also has a sister who works as housekeeper for a Nice Old Lady. Razz
Her two witch cousins who run bathhouses, however, are not as nice.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

The reason it was changed is because Disney interpreted the last message a bit differently. They decided Pazu and Sheeta's relationship was the most important aspect of the film, and that pertained to their love of everything including nature, hence why the message is more broadly written in the new dub. I don't really agree with it, but I don't think it affects the film that badly.

But even with that change and the somewhat mature sounding leads, everything else about the Disney dub is just so much better executed than the '80s dub -- that one may use 'traditional' voice actors, but it was made at a time when dubs were mostly rushed and not very well done at all. Sorry, I can't watch the '80s dub without wincing. At all. It's just plain bad all around; stiff, robotic acting, idiotic dialogue "Now say bye-bye", and poor sound quality -- it pales compared to both the Japanese version and the newer one. Give me Disney's dub with evil Luke Skywalker any day. And yes, I do like Dawson as Pazu; mature as he sounds, his enthusiasm and energy makes up for it.

Last edited by TurnerJ on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
The film was released in August though? It's not really the eve of its anniversary just yet, right?
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
The film was released in August though? It's not really the eve of its anniversary just yet, right?

Good point. I think it's a bit too early to pop the corks just yet.

Still a magnificent movie either way. It's one of my favorites.
twilightmidna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
Laputa will always be one of my favorite Miyazaki films though I love them all. In fact I just watched Laputa again in honor of the thirtieth anniversary. I particularly love the scene at the beginning when pazu catches sheeta as she is falling from the sky. Initially she seems weightless leading pazu to think she maybe an angel. However as soon as the crystal deactivates sheeta is no longer weightless and pazu nearly drops her. Also to those who have been commenting on the one dimensional villians, Miyazaki has said that he finds such villians to be boring which is why this is one of his only films to have such villians.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:32 am Reply with quote
One of the finest animated films of all time. A true classic and a great example of universal storytelling: this film is great for children, parents and grandparents. I am mostly impressed by Miyazaki's capacity to incorporate so much drama and passion into it, for instance, the scenes of the two children with the massive robot are truly astouding. Miyazaki is the greatest animator of all time also thanks to his capacity to make each scene in movie extremely memorable and still make the film very entertaining and accessible (something that other great animators like Takahata, Oshii or Yuasa fail to do), his work is truly awe inspiring because of its high level of versality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2