• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Justin Leach, Dai Satō Name Promising Anime Directors to Watch

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
I've definitely been on the Makoto Shinkai train since Voices of a Distant Star came out.

I think what people fail to understand with Shinkai is that he's limiting himself by the scripts he writes, NOT by his directing skills. Somehow people are lumping both of them together when judging Shinkai as a director which is incorrect.

Makoto Shinkai has a ton of potential and he truly encapsulates the emotion he is trying to achieve in the scenes he directs (example: spoiler[The scene where Toono is riding the train to see Shinohara, the feeling of anticipation, longing and anxiety is perfectly captured in length]), however he needs to let go of the script/screenplay writing for a couple movies and just direct them.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:43 am Reply with quote
You've mentioned many of my favorites, but one name I'd like to add is Hiroshi Nagahama (Mushi-shi, Detroit Metal City, Flowers of Evil). He's fearless, incredibly versatile, and even if you don't agree with his aesthetic choices, you have to admit he can direct the hell out of a scene.

I also hope Kenji Kamiyama can bounce back after the disappointing Re: Cyborg 009, because from GitS: SAC to Eden of the East he was just directing one excellent show after the other.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:43 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Tsutomu Mizushima would be the first one that comes to mind. While he's been around for a while, he's still surprisingly underrated and unsung despite the uniform quality of his output. He's one of the best directors in the biz currently, and certainly one of the most unique from a stylistic standpoint, not to mention the diversity of projects he's taken on.

I was going to second Mizushima as well but felt since he's been around a while he wouldn't be considered "New" or "up and coming" but considering how good Shirobako turned out to be or the diversity of his oeuvre. He deserves to be watched just to see what he comes out with next.

Another would be Shin Ōnuma who is one of the stable of directors that works with Studio Silver Link, in particular his work on Anne Happy and Wata Mote stand out as well as Baka And Test.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
after Directing Yuri Kuma Arashi he has proven that there are no limits to his creative genius. Cool

I thought Ikuhara had already proven his creative genius way back in 1997, when he directed Revolutionary Girl Utena.
RogerSmith2004

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:52 am Reply with quote
This was part of a larger talk that took place at the Japan Society in New York. This is an article that goes over what was discussed, in case anyone's interested: http://yattatachi.com/japanese-animation-post-miyazaki
Finnegan

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
The man who directed When Marnie Was There is one to keep an eye on in my opinion.

That movie had excellent directing!
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Finnegan wrote:
The man who directed When Marnie Was There is one to keep an eye on in my opinion.

That movie had excellent directing!

Oh yeah! I really like Yonebayashi too. Both of his Ghibli films were pretty strong, in my opinion.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:46 am Reply with quote
It'd be hard to replicate how Miyazaki was able to extend across borders and demographics
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Great entry. Yeah, lots of good names to look out for. Though I'm curious to wonder what Yuasa will be doing. But what about the Mitsuo Iso of Dennou Coil. He's a director but he's also an animator. There is a site called AniPages,

http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php

I want to share with everyone. I came across this page a few years ago when 'Denno Coil' came out. The site follows many upcoming anime artist, works and interviews. Most of the animators that they concentrate on are of the "alternative" variety. They also talk about a few mainstream artist like Anno and Miyazaki, but it's mostly looking at the creative aspects of these creators and where they cut there teeth.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
^ Thank you for linking that! I love Anipages. Ben is very smart and well-researched. Thanks to his work, and everyone else there, I've been able to track down a lot more information about many creators.

And I wholeheartedly agree with Mitsuo Iso as a promising director, even if he has already been around for a while. Dennou Coil is a phenomenal creation, both visually and thematically. One of my favorites.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
I don't want to seem cynical, but there's one thing I never liked about Miyazaki that sadly has tainted every filmmaker following in his footsteps: emotional glurge.

All of Miyazaki's movies have whimsical magical friendships, and everyone else is tripping over each other trying to re-create that kind of whimsy, however well (Summer Wars' extended family) or poorly (Hosada's tone-deaf praise of motherhood) they can. It's tiresome; so many of these friendships are put into some serious melodrama that just feels so manufactured. Makoto Shinkai is the perfect example: I've never been able to tolerate 5 cm Per Second or Voices from a Distant Star because they try to wallop me over the head with FEELZ like a fanfic writer on three bags of sugar.

It is common for directors such as Shinkai to be hounded for their maudlin writing, though I am quite curious about your suggestion that Miyazaki acts as some sort of progenitor to such a trend in anime. If the family-friendly tales of friendships and inner strength that won Miyazaki his acclaim are to be likened to Shinkai's overt romances—in which platonic friendships hardly ever exist—then I fear any basis for such a comparison will be too broad. Yes, both directors help themselves to unveiled emotional appeals in establishing character relationships, but the precise affections to be elicited are as distinct as their respective target audiences. I do apologise if there is something more specific you wish to express, but if so I would be interested in reading it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
^ Thank you for linking that! I love Anipages. Ben is very smart and well-researched. Thanks to his work, and everyone else there, I've been able to track down a lot more information about many creators.

And I wholeheartedly agree with Mitsuo Iso as a promising director, even if he has already been around for a while. Dennou Coil is a phenomenal creation, both visually and thematically. One of my favorites.

No problem. Glad to hear I'm not alone in knowing about this site. Then of course there is Fred Patten's site for older shows. Glad to know that he's up and about. But yeah, so many names to keep an eye on.

It would be nice if guys like Hiroyuki Okiura would try his hand at more productions like he did with 'A Letter For Momo'. I seems like he's of the 1 film every so many years variety. Like, Katsuhiro Otomo, Takashi Nakamura. They spend their time working but it takes years before you hear from them again.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

No problem. Glad to hear I'm not alone in knowing about this site. Then of course there is Fred Patten's site for older shows. Glad to know that he's up and about. But yeah, so many names to keep an eye on.

It would be nice if guys like Hiroyuki Okiura would try his hand at more productions like he did with 'A Letter For Momo'. I seems like he's of the 1 film every so many years variety. Like, Katsuhiro Otomo, Takashi Nakamura. They spend their time working but it takes years before you hear from them again.

It's a shame Anipages is so inactive. Still a great database of information regardless.

I'm always curious whether many of these great film directors are so under the radar because their stuff isn't popular and they can't get things financed, because they just don't want to be in the limelight more, or if it's something else entirely. I agree I would love to see more work by all of those guys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2