• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Resident Evil 7 Revealed, Slated for January 24 on PS4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:51 am Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
i was hoping for a gameplay video

There's a demo that's out now, but it's hard to say how indicative it'll be of the actual game. I'm watching a stream of the demo now and it's kinda reminiscent of the old P.T. demo. Extremely creepy.

this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwOW95bVXNU

doesn't look like any RE game i played before.. Rolling Eyes

are they rebooting the series ?
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:55 am Reply with quote
Yea, they seem to be taking a very different direction with RE this time, which I approve of. It gets it away from the likes of RE5 and 6. But it's not a reboot in the sense that it's restarting the story as RE7 will take place after RE6.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
People before: Give us survival horror and less action!

Capcom: Here you go.

People now: WTF is this sh!t, it's just like PT!?

--
Humans are never satisfied.

As for me, I wanna know if the first person is for the VR or for the entire game?
Itchy//Tasty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
Itchy//Tasty wrote:
So maybe it's just me, but has anyone tried pausing the video around the 2:35 mark, at the close up of the photo? spoiler[Rebecca, is that you??]

Bumping this, since I haven't seen anyone talking about it yet and it seems that we might have a familiar face in RE7 after all...
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Yea, they seem to be taking a very different direction with RE this time, which I approve of. It gets it away from the likes of RE5 and 6. But it's not a reboot in the sense that it's restarting the story as RE7 will take place after RE6.

i started with RE4

didn't like it at first due to the controls but gave it another try and got used to it

so i played all the RE games that came after RE4 (beside raccoon city)

this is something entirely different (RE7)

God of War was not the same either (hack and hack with an ax with no combos was a bit odd for me)- the game looks good though

i didn't expect these changes at all

Naughty Dog really started something with their uncharted series+ the last of us.. since i'm seeing elements of these games in the up coming games they introduced at E3
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
The 15 min. demo (i just "finished" it) is cool and leads the series back to the ultra gore "cannibal" in the woods roots without being a Silent Hill or Condemned wannabe. The famous episode "Home" from The X-Files is a good comparison.
The handheld camera found footage is from the REmake and first person segments are nothing new either. I obviously want a new perspective and a less idiotic presentation that in the past few games but i hope that 7 still will still feature continuity callbacks. The lore has it´s shining moments. 7 lastly appears to be set in the present, but a 90s setting woulnd´t be surprising.
PS: I am a fan since the very first entry and RE 6 was a great game, the critics must be crazy. 8,5/10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The 15 min. demo (i just "finished" it) is cool and leads the series back to the ultra gore "cannibal" in the woods roots without being a Silent Hill or Condemned wannabe. The famous episode "Home" from The X-Files is a good comparison.
The handheld camera found footage is from the REmake and first person segments are nothing new either. I obviously want a new perspective and a less idiotic presentation that in the past few games but i hope that 7 still will still feature continuity callbacks. The lore has it´s shining moments. 7 lastly appears to be set in the present, but a 90s setting woulnd´t be surprising.
PS: I am a fan since the very first entry and RE 6 was a great game, the critics must be crazy. 8,5/10

RE6 has by far the best, biggest and most coherent story in the whole franchise (to the point of correcting several timeline mistakes in the other titles via retcon... kinda like Metal Gear Solid Series does everytime lol). Problem is, the pacing is absolutely terrible and the gameplay is very love it or hate it (the repetitiveness of the scenarios is yet another negative point to be mentioned, since it makes the game very boring for being so "point A to point B killing enemies" alà Call of Duty with puzzles here and there).

While it is one of my favorites, I can see where and why many people disliked it (it could have been 3 different games instead of one ridiculously huge and akwardly paced one).

This RE7 seems amazing by the way, I can't wait to play a full horror RE title.

Last edited by danpmss on Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
People before: Give us survival horror and less action!

Capcom: Here you go.

People now: WTF is this sh!t, it's just like PT!?

--
Humans are never satisfied.

As for me, I wanna know if the first person is for the VR or for the entire game?

Well that's what happens when you demand CAPCOM try to do "horror" when the series was never really good at it.

Anyway, checked out the preview and at the very least it's not a stellar intro to the game. It's just a "go here and find x item" fetch quest. Plus the hill-billy slasher angle was never really the type of world RE lived in. All in all, not a great way to start out.
JDude042

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the trailer and I like what I saw, but I have one question:

"She's back."

Who is back? I dare say the main antagonist is gonna be a woman? No...! Wink

As a Resident Evil fan, despite not having played any of it after Resident Evil 4, I'll be looking forward to seeing more of this.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

Well that's what happens when you demand CAPCOM try to do "horror" when the series was never really good at it.

No it's what happens you get a group of whiny entitled fans in what amounts to a minority and let them decide what game you make instead of you making the game you want to make.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I fully welcome a change in direction after the trash that was RE 5 and 6. I really liked 4, but I hated the direction the series was taking in general.

Last edited by strawberry-kun on Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I see some people saying that RE was never good at horror, but we first need to consider that there are different types of horror. Though filled with cheesy dialogue and melodramatic beats, most RE games until 4 were pretty great at setting the tense and oppressive atmosphere all great survival horror games are known for. RE strength lied on their use of gore and body horror as well: it was shocking, but somehow not all too unbelievable. It was a case of "well, yeah, I can see how a human could turn into THAT", something that RE5 and RE6 lost track of (I can't get over the dinosaur transformation, I just can't).

So as long as they go back to that atmosphere and gory segments we all used to love, then it might be a good horror game.
JDude042

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
I fully welcome a change in direction after the trash that was RE 5 and 6.

That seems to be the general consensus from what I've heard regarding both those games, so maybe it's for the best that I've never played them. I have watched most of the altercations between Wesker and Chris from RE5 on YouTube, and that definitely gave me some enjoyment especially at the end of the game. "CHRRRRRRRRRISSSSSSSS!!!" Laughing I did the same with Resident Evil 6, but nothing memorable there from what I saw.

Just to put it out there, my first interaction with the series was the original game on Playstation. I never owned it, but I did get to play it a bit and never beat it. Then when Resident Evil 2 came out, I bought it and played through most of it. It wasn't until much later, like several years ago that I really did everything in RE2, and got around to playing RE3 for that matter.

There was literally a period between 2002-2006 where I had stopped playing video games entirely in favor of my interest in anime, which had just sparked at the time. It was when Resident Evil 4 came out, that I saw a music video of it on YouTube, and that really caught my eye and made me go out and buy a slim PS2 and a copy of Resident Evil 4. I got so much enjoyment out of that game, despite so many people who apparently disliked the change in game play style.

I also played the remake of the original and Resident Evil 0 on Gamecube several years ago and both those were really awesome, especially the remake. I played Code Veronica X on PS2, which while not bad, I won't lie and say I enjoyed it as much as some of the other entries in the series. I actually went through the trouble of speed running the Remake, 0, Resident Evil 2, 3, and 4 to get all the bonus stuff and yes the unlimited ammo Rocket Launcher. As I mentioned before with Code Veronica, it didn't hold my interest enough for me to want to invest the time and effort to memorize the game and be able to speed run it for the Rocket Launcher, especially considering it's definitely longer in length than the previous installments.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
(I can't get over the dinosaur transformation, I just can't).

In a series that features giant man-eating snakes,carnivorous plants,man-eating amphibian creatures,giant insects & arachnids, & whatever the hell were the things William mutated into that was a deal breaker?
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I hope this one is half as good as RE3. To this day, I still get shivers down my spine when I remember Nemesis and how he stalked in-game. Maybe it's because I was 10 years old when I played the game but I still find him terrifying lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3